The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Kayser

Tech question : RCBS Chargemaster - how does it work?

Just picked up one of these from Natchez, and am extremely excited. My first real upgrade in the process since starting reloading 5 or 6 years ago. Based on what I'm reading, I'm thinking I'll cut actual charging and seating times in half.

I have a question though - how exactly does the thing work in terms of knowing how to gauge the charge?

Looking at the thing, a little common sense suggests that the scale and the dispenser are connected so that there's feedback from the scale. But I haven't disassembled it to verify that that the little connector-looking thingie on the bottom is actually what it looks like.

I figure it's unlikely that it magically knows how to spin the trickler just so to get accurate throws, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

Last edited by Kayser; February 22, 2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old February 22, 2011, 10:11 PM   #2
rg1

Don't have one myself but here's 3 good articles on the powder dispensers comparing the RCBS with Pact and Lyman's. Has some good info. Just use a set of check weights to assure yourself that the scale and dispenser is accurate. In these articles RCBS comes out on top in most comparisons.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/categ...=all#thumb_nav
Old February 22, 2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

They are connected. It's not magic.

It's is almost magical though... the thing seems to "learn" how the powder behaves. It will often over-shoot or take forever getting to the charge the first time but seems to "know" how to do it each time thereafter.

Wait until you actually use it.... it's like a religious experience. The sky opens, a light shines down and the angels sings ALLELUIA!
Old February 22, 2011, 10:37 PM   #4
jeepster11

its an

amazing dispenser i love mine
Old February 22, 2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Kayser

Quote:
Wait until you actually use it.... it's like a religious experience. The sky opens, a light shines down and the angels sings ALLELUIA!

I spent the week furiously cleaning my garage to get my reloading area back up to snuff after I ordered the thing. My large backlog of brass has been tumbling for days now
Old February 23, 2011, 11:11 AM   #6
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peetzakilla
What he said.

It REALLY is THAT good!
Old February 23, 2011, 01:29 PM   #7
snuffy

Don't have a chargemaster, but do have the pact. I suspect they all work the same. It "learns" the powder density. The first time it is calibrated for a certain powder, it turns the 2 dispenser tubes at 2 different speeds for a precise duration of time. It then reads how much powder by weight it just dispensed. The scale sends that info to the computer inside the dispenser.

When you punch in the amount of powder you want, it knows if it turns the big tube at high speed for X amount of time, then slows it down for X seconds, then starts the small tube to finish, it will arrive at your designated powder charge. The scale then verifies it's "guess".

My pact will normally be dead on, a few end up a tenth or 2 short, seldom over. Drawback of the pact, is it has no way to store different powder densities, it has to be calibrated to the powder you're using each time. Unplug the power pack or shut off the power, it has to be re-calibrated.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 23, 2011, 01:52 PM   #8
Doodlebugger45

Wow. What a great product evaluation mentioned above.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-...sers-part-one/

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-...sers-part-two/
Old February 23, 2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Saltydog235

Its a truely heavenly experience. The best thing you can do it to read the instructions and get busy. Warn your wife or loved ones though, you won't want to leave your new love. Cuts time by a factor of at least 3X for me and I was pretty fast with the hand measure. Charges are really consistant too. I keep the little powder spoon handy for when it goes over and get very consistant charges.

Hell, I got a fresh order of powder last night and foresee a big time of 7mm Mag loading, then some 30'06. Might even buy another caliber gun just to expand the ammo collection.
Old February 23, 2011, 03:02 PM   #10
rottieman33

I have a rcbs charge master a little trick i read on here is to stick about 1/4" of a McDonalds stray in the end of the despeansing tube to help the powder not build up on the end. just make sure straw is flush with end of tube.

Last edited by rottieman33; March 3, 2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old February 23, 2011, 04:40 PM   #11
Tuzo

My ChargeMaster has been dispensing and weighing for more than two years. I used to check every 10 rounds with a beam scale but have switched to checking the fisrt two drops and maybe the last two. The accuracy and speed for rifle reloads is great. Efficient rod powder (IMR 4895) metering is the best feature of the ChargeMaster because, as in a standard powder measure, there is no cutting of the rods by the dispenser mechanism.

By all means read the instructions carefully.
Old February 23, 2011, 06:43 PM   #12
Shadowstalker

Mine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I cant wait
Old February 23, 2011, 09:21 PM   #13
Jim243

I know this may sound smart butt. But, there is a manual that came with it, please read it.

After you calibrate the scale with the two weights that came with it 50 grams and another 50 grams (it asks for 0, 50 & 100) then set it and take the weights off. it will go to 0. Put the pan on the scale and press the zero button on the bottom, it will re 0 the scale. Use the key pad on the upper portion and enter in your load (say 23.6) and press despense.

Then the majic happens, it will despense 23.6 grains of powder, take the powder and put it in a case. Place the pan back on the scale and it will go back to 0 and start all over again dispensing 23.6 grains each time you do that.

Good Luck
Jim

PS: They are a great tool.

AS with any scale - Keep it out of any draft and keep it OFF your bench.

Last edited by Jim243; February 23, 2011 at 09:31 PM.