The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 12, 2007, 09:08 AM   #1
MADISON

It's not in SPEER MANUAL 13

I E-mailed Speer and ask at what low velocities their bullets will expand and how high I could push them before they will shred. Their answer was "It's in the book". It's not in #13 and I do not intend to buy 14 because they said something about "this year's manual".
Old October 12, 2007, 01:44 PM   #2
castnblast

The blow apart thing is difficult, because it is not a function of velocity on its own. What usually blows a bullet apart in flight is the centrifigal force created by the twist rate. As velocity increases, so does the rpms. However, the RPMs vary by the twist rate of the barrels the projectile is fired from. Most bullets won't blow apart unless fired from really hyper velocity calibers...even then, the jackets will have to be thin.
Old October 13, 2007, 08:45 AM   #3
MADISON

Shredding bullet[s]

What I ment was the shredding of a handgun bullet, WHEN IT HITS SOMETHING. This happens at "extreme" velocity.
Old October 13, 2007, 09:19 AM   #4
Red_Eagle

If you wanna switch to Hornady they have the velocity tolerances in thier 6th edition. Not sure about the new 7th edition. I thumbed through it and it look like all they changed was the cover, unless you use one of the new cartridges like the 204 Ruger or 338 Federal.
Old October 13, 2007, 01:28 PM   #5
Wayfarin'Stranger

Quote:
Most bullets won't blow apart unless fired from really hyper velocity calibers...even then, the jackets will have to be thin.
When you say "Hyper-Velocity", how fast are we talking, and can you acutally load (.30) rifle calibers to make a bullet shred in flight?
Old October 15, 2007, 04:22 PM   #6
castnblast

I don't think you can. (shread a 30 cal) I've seen it w/ 22 centerfires, but I don't know that I've ever heard of a 30 cal coming apart in flight. You'ld have to really crank the velocity up to do that...My guess is in excess of 4200fps, and that's just a guess...I don't know of any 30 cal pushing that kind of velocity. I'm certainly not the authority on that though...I did RL some light rounds for my 300 win, (120 gr) but they were around 3300 fps tops, if that. I don't recall the data, this was a while back, but off the cuff, I think it was like in the 80 gr range of powder. NO ONE LOAD THIS...THIS IS AN ESTIMATE ONLY...CHECK YOUR MANUAL FOR CHARGE WEIGHTS...there, that's my CYA statement on that.