The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2019, 03:29 PM   #1
rebs

how to proceed ?

I have brand new Lake City brass and a brand new Tikka T3x Varmint in 223 cal.
I plan on neck sizing only. What should I do to start loading the brass, full length size and load them or after full length sizing should I neck size them ? Once they are fired for the first time I will neck size only.
How should I proceed with the first time loading ?
Old February 19, 2019, 05:11 PM   #2
gwpercle

I have never bought any brand new Lake City brass ...all mine was once fired military that had the pesky crimped in primer that had to be removed and then the crimp removed.
The "NEW" Lake City brass on Grafs site doesn't appear to have any primer or crimps so we won't worry about that.
I run all brass , even the brand new ones , through the full length sizing die . The case mouths get dented , dinged and out of round during manufacturing and shipping ...it just squares them all up. Next is trim them all to the same length , this trues up all the case mouths . They don't come from the maker all perfect like you would think.
No need to neck size at this point....the neck has been sized by the full length die.
Load , shoot in your rifle and keep them in a plastic ammo box. After shooting in your rifle then you can start neck sizing and reloading.
Neck sizing doesn't touch the case body..after several reloadings you will need to full length size and check case length again...you can't neck size forever and neck sized ammo may not fit another rifle...mark the ammo box and keep a record of reloads and what rifle it fits.

How should you proceed...slowly , carefully and safely.
Follow the instructions in your reloading manual and load safe.
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; February 19, 2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old February 20, 2019, 08:41 AM   #3
rebs

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it
Old February 20, 2019, 08:46 AM   #4
Chainsaw.

You might find neck sizing to be detrimental to accuracy. Many are moving away from it.

I prefer to full length from the get go to normalize everything across the board. I also do a gentle inside/outside deburr of the mouths, then a quick looksee at the primer pockets for any burrs and Deburr the flash hole.
Old March 10, 2019, 12:33 AM   #5
5whiskey

Quote:
You might find neck sizing to be detrimental to accuracy. Many are moving away from it.
I started off neck sizing. Have some sub 1/2 moa groups from it. A good collet die is quite forgiving and can make very accurate ammo. FWIW, Lee’s collet die is quite capable of making good ammo.

I did get away from neck sizing as you will need to full length size by the 3rd or at latest 4th firing anyway to close the bolt on loaded rounds. I then discovered full length sizing is just as accurate as neck sizing, so long as you FL size properly. I then realized I may as well just FL size as it is as accurate, and I must eventually do it anyway. I am very much a “do the same thing for repeatability” kind of guy.

The die setup instructions from most sizing die manufacturers do not cover how to properly set up your FL sizing dies. Learn the proper way to do it to make ammo that head spaces near perfectly in your rifle chamber, with minimal runout, and you’ll be loading great ammo by FL sizing.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old March 10, 2019, 10:21 AM   #6
Don Fischer

I full length size but not with first time reloads. Then screw the die in as instructed then back it out so it only get's about half the neck. Fired a couple times like that, the case will quit chambering. At that point I start screwing the die down a bit at a time until the sized case will chamber without any shoulder rubbing. Case will then fit your chamber. Have started using a Lee collet die with my 243 and have only fired the case's a few times but no FL sizing needed yet. If it come's to that, I have dies dedicated to each rifle that are adjusted as above and then one turn through the FL die size's the case back to that chamber. Advantage to me seem's to be not pulling the case over the expander plug in the FL die much anymore and quite a bit less trimming to length. Don't see any advantage other than that.