The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 24, 2009, 08:22 PM   #1
B. Lahey

Bet You've Never Seen This Before

12.7mm heavy machine gun fired offhand, without a mount (strapped to a walking Russian fellow).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwu3ivAJ68U

One of the coolest things I've seen in a while. Looks kind of like the Space Marine setup from Alien II.

Found this on the gun: http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg24-e.htm

The KORD weighs 25 kilos, so it's not exactly a lightweight. Anyone ever tried this with an M2?
Old June 24, 2009, 08:56 PM   #2
PTK

That is absolutely insane.
Old June 25, 2009, 12:02 AM   #3
Maser

He looked like he got lost in the smoke.
Old June 25, 2009, 12:40 AM   #4
HeroHog

Firing single shot, not F/A? I'm not impressed!

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.
Old June 25, 2009, 01:01 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

I guess that it is impressive that he can carry such a heavy gun over uneven terrain in the smoke without tripping, but the randomly fired unaimed single shots aren't impressive.
Old June 25, 2009, 02:12 AM   #6
B. Lahey

Quote:
Firing single shot, not F/A? I'm not impressed!
That's a 2-round burst at the very beginning. The muzzle swings a good 30 degrees, I guess because the muzzlebrake is tilted to the side the way he's carrying it. It's a good thing he didn't go for a 3-round burst or he could have taken out a cameraman.

Quote:
randomly fired unaimed single shots aren't impressive
I didn't say it was effective, I said it was cool.

The Russians always have the best bad ideas.
Old June 25, 2009, 06:08 AM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Sorry, I have completely missed the "cool" factor of that.

So the guy can fire unaimed and poorly controlled two rounds bursts. Why is that cool?

Quote:
That's a 2-round burst at the very beginning. The muzzle swings a good 30 degrees, I guess because the muzzlebrake is tilted to the side the way he's carrying it. It's a good thing he didn't go for a 3-round burst or he could have taken out a cameraman.
No, the muzzle brake blow out equally left and right. So it isn't because the muzzle brake is tilted that the gun is doing that. The muzzle brake is straight on the gun. It is because the gun itself is tilted and being held in the manner that it is. That swing would usually be offset by gravity.

As for the 3-round burst, no it would not have taken out the cameraman. The uncontrolled muzzle might have scanned the cameraman LONG AFTER the three round burst was gone, but the burst would not have taken him out. The muzzle isn't swinging so fast or the shots fired so slowly that the shots are being fired at 30 degree intervals.
Old June 25, 2009, 11:04 AM   #8
B. Lahey

If you don't get it, I guess you just don't get it. You must not have been raised on 80's action movies as I was.

I guess when you saw that scene in Predator with the ridiculous man-portable electric gatling you said loudly:
"What a terrible waste of ammo! That is in no way cool! Such a stupid movie, that guy is dumb enough to be elected Governor of California!"

It's a big burly Rooski firing a heavy MG from the hip. You're overthinking things here. This was supposed to be a silly thread.
Old June 25, 2009, 11:19 AM   #9
goodspeed(TPF)

Awesome find. Thank you.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old June 25, 2009, 11:25 AM   #10
aroundlsu

You are all sadly mistaken. He is a robot cyborg and easily hitting targets at 300m with his terminator vision. I welcome our new Terminator KORD overlords.
Old June 25, 2009, 12:10 PM   #11
seanie

All hail the Terminator KORD overlords
Old June 25, 2009, 12:31 PM   #12
johnwilliamson062

Old June 25, 2009, 08:19 PM   #13
Willie Lowman

Old June 25, 2009, 08:25 PM   #14
Zilmo

Quote:
If you don't get it, I guess you just don't get it. You must not have been raised on 80's action movies as I was.

I guess when you saw that scene in Predator with the ridiculous man-portable electric gatling you said loudly:
"What a terrible waste of ammo! That is in no way cool! Such a stupid movie, that guy is dumb enough to be elected Governor of California!"

It's a big burly Rooski firing a heavy MG from the hip. You're overthinking things here. This was supposed to be a silly thread
That was fun!
Old June 25, 2009, 11:10 PM   #15
Maser

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Lahey
I doubt it has anything to do with what movies we were raised around, but rather that most of us who frequent this section are folks who were raised around the real thing and not how Hollywood portrays machineguns. I'm not saying the video was bad or anything and I am glad to see that the guy did have trigger control and the best aspect of that video was to show that REAL guns have REAL recoil. Imagine Jesse Ventura in Predator trying to fire a REAL minigun at the hip.
Old June 26, 2009, 05:59 PM   #16
Willie Lowman

It was a real minigun they were firing from the hip, just not real bullets. I have spoken with the man that owns the minigun in Predator/Terminator 2. He said the gun was fired with blanks (obviously) but the recoil of regular 7.62x51mm at 70 per second would be more than Jessie and Arnold could hold together.
Old June 30, 2009, 10:08 PM   #17
eddiejoe333

All hail the T---darn! Too late!