The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 14, 2009, 05:28 PM   #1
dognit

Forster Co-Ax Primer Seater

New to reloading.......looks like a bad time to get into reloading.....can't find powder, bullets, brass or primer...go figure. If in case I do run into some...looking for the best way to attach primers.

I have a Forster Co-Ax Press and will be starting with .45 ACP and .44 Mag reloads then moving on to rifle cartridges. Just getting started and don't have near all the tools yet....just starting to gather them up.

Forster Co-Ax has a Primer seater........just wondering if it is worth the investment of is there something else I should be looking into.

Dognit
Old July 15, 2009, 12:37 AM   #2
rg1

Yes the Forster Co-Ax press has a primer seating feature. It works very well and is all you need for seating primers. Just follow the instructions for setting it up for primer seating. A lot of fellow reloaders like the hand prime units from RCBS or Lee. I use a RCBS Automatic bench mounted priming tool because I like the ease of use, leverage, and feel that the tool gives when seating primers. Try the seating feature on the Co-Ax before buying any other tool for primer seating. I would however highly recommend getting a primer pocket uniformer and use it on all pistol and rifle brass. An inexpensive one is the EJS primer pocket uniformer and it does a good job.
If you haven't already, buy a pack of Forster die lock rings for your dies. Some die sets have lock rings that won't work in you Co-Ax. I love the Co-Ax press but primed with my RCBS Automatic Priming tool before getting the press and will continue using the RCBS tool.
Old July 15, 2009, 06:08 AM   #3
VaFisher

Dido on above post, I use mine exclusively but I do have others, go figgure.
Old July 15, 2009, 10:32 PM   #4
dognit

Thanks for the heads up guys.......I was not sure if a bench mounted primer would be the way to go.....I have researched the RCBS priming tool and it looks like it works well ( but it would involve buying shell holders which I do not need for the Forster Co-Ax press). Also the Die lock rings....good to know.

BTW, thanks for reminding me about the primer pocket tools. I also have been thinking of making the investment for the Dillon Super Swage 600. Is this only to be used on brass with crimped primer pockets?

I have a lot to learn, I have been reading several books on reloading.....it is mind boggling how much thought goes in to reloading.....much of this I never gave a second thought when you can head to a gun shop pick up a box of ammo and away you go......

I have gain a good deal of knowledget of what to do and not do by reading over these forums the past several months.....this is community organizing at it's best. I am sure to have many questions as I get into this..

Thanks again,

Dognit
Old July 15, 2009, 11:13 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

The Forster Co-ax press built-in priming tool is unique. It is the only tool I've ever seen that is made to force the primer 0.004" below flush with the face of the casehead (ideal). No other I am aware of, not even Forster's own bench mounted Co-ax priming tool will do that. It is perfect for seating primers for self-loading rifles with free-floating firing pins, like the AR, M14, and M1 Garand because that below-flush condition is important to preventing slam-fires in them.

The benchrest shooters like to use separate priming tools that allow them to feel when the primer touches down on the bottom of the primer pocket and don't want to push it any further. I find the Markel priming tool by K&M to be the best of these that I've tried, and, in the $40 range, it is far less expensive than some you can buy. I think Bruno Shooter's Supply carries them, but you can buy them direct as well. It is what I use for bolt rifle loads. It, like the Co-ax press priming tool, is a one-at-a-time device, but if you get your cases prepped and are sitting in front of the TV anyway when you prime, you don't miss the time savings of the more automatic systems particularly.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 16, 2009, 04:10 AM   #6
rg1

The Dillion swager is for removing the crimp on military once fired brass that have crimped in primers. The EJS Possum Hollow primer pocket uniformer is adjustable for depth and is a good inexpensive tool. There are several other primer pocket uniformers. There are "some" good videos on youtube showing reloaders using certain equipment such as the Dillon swager. And yes if you buy the Forster Co-Ax press buy a separate pack of Forster die lock rings.
Old July 16, 2009, 09:33 AM   #7
MADISON

Forster Co-Ax Primer Seater

I have been reloading since August 1970.
The Forster Co-Ax Primer Seater looks to be OK but, I have used the RCBS
[09460]part number Bench Mounted priming. It works for me.
Old July 16, 2009, 10:45 AM   #8
Suwannee Tim

:barf:

If this is what you are thinking about, don't do it! I had one and it was junk. Hard to set up, slow to load the magazine, primers jammed, a real pain. I'm a big fan of the co-ax press and Forster Benchrest dies but this thing is junk. I gave mine away, it came back. I tossed it in the trash. Hornady makes a handheld priming tool I recommend, it has a lot more leverage than a Lee. There are other good priming tools. The priming feature on the co-ax press is slow and clumsy, I never use mine. Correct me if I am wrong, the primer seating feature on the co-ax press requires you to buy a shell holder. Also, on my co-ax press, I took off the automatic shell holder, I did not like it. I use part of the primer seater to mount a shell holder on the press ram.

Last edited by Suwannee Tim; July 16, 2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old July 16, 2009, 01:09 PM   #9
mikld

http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/press.htm
Good info on Forster priming.

I've read/heard some about primer pocket cleaning/reforming. Both sides (do it and don't do it) have merit, but I chose not to bother except military crimped in primer brass. For military brass I use a 60 degree countersink to remove the crimp. If the primer pockets are full of crud, I guess I'd use small screw driver to scrape it out, but I haven't determined the absolute necessity of primer pocket cleaning.
Old July 16, 2009, 01:49 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

Suwanee Tim,

I think you are right that he was talking about that. I assumed he was talking about the one built into the top of the Co-ax press. It uses the adjustable tabs like the one in your picture, but the ram mechanism works differently, providing that -0.004" below-grade seating I mentioned. It is also a put each primer in one-at-a-time setup, and does not use primer feed strips like the bench unit. The one built into the press, though slow to set up, is a good concept for military primer loading. The one in your photo is, as you say, not worth the inconvenience. I had one too. I can't recall if I gave it away or if it is gathering dust?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 16, 2009, 02:23 PM   #11
Suwannee Tim

The one on the top of the press is effective but slow. Handling primers one at a time is slow but the co-ax press is ever slower as the thing is 8 or 10 inches above the bench and the extra distance results in lost time.
Old July 17, 2009, 03:42 PM   #12
dognit

Whoa, thats a lot of information........you guys are on top of it.....really appreciate the input...

Think I'll start with a hand held priming tool to start......then as I need to increase volume look at one of those bench models with the strip feed primers....

Thanks alot,

Dognit
Old July 17, 2009, 05:37 PM   #13
Master Blaster

I have one sitting on my shelf right now, its a little hairy to set the jaws, and loading the feed tubes is a pain, but it works OK, one good feature is the universal jaws, cause you dont need a shell holder for each caliber. I use the RCBS hand priming tool it has a flip tray , but its a small pain to set up for a different caliber each time, and you have to get an rcbs or lee shell holder for each caliber.