The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 28, 2021, 08:57 PM   #1
kilotanker22

New Savage 110 Predator

I have been looking for a .223 Rem bolt rifle for almost a year now. In my local area, anything .223, 5.56 or 308 is non existent.

Last night I found a Savage 110 Predator in .223 Rem. Of course, I quickly decided to buy it and put my spare Bushnell Engage Tactical 3-12x40 scope on it. I would rather have a Vortex or Leupold, but the Bushnell is working nicely.

Anyway, I really wanted something with a 1:8 twist, but this has a 1:9. So I am figuring that my 75 grain BTHP are out of the question, shame too cause I have over 1000 of them. So I think I am going to shoot the 69 grain Nosler Custom Competition bullets, since I have 500 of those on hand.

On the bright side it shoots the Frontier XM193 ammo reasonably well so I am sure it will shoot pretty well. 12 rounds a little over MOA. I am gonna blame it on wind, but who knows. It was very windy today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xm193.jpg (18.5 KB, 102 views)
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 28, 2021, 09:57 PM   #2
Colorado Redneck

The way the group looks could definitely be wind induced. Is the rifle brand new? If so, it's been my experience that rifles improve in accuracy over the first hundred or so rounds. And hand loads will likely improve the accuracy as well. Good job!
Old March 28, 2021, 11:25 PM   #3
kilotanker22

It is new. I put 60 rounds through it just plinking before I shot that group.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old April 2, 2021, 03:08 PM   #4
kilotanker22

This rifle does shoot pretty well with the 69 grain Nosler Custom Competition bullet and a healthy dose of BLC-(2). The image below shows my first 7 shots with this load. Point of impact changed a little from the previous bullet, which I expected. So you will see two shots low and right, before I adjusted my optic a little and decided to just shoot the group.

Overall it shot well and velocity spread was ok, but could be better ES of 30 fps. I am going to increase my powder charge slightly and go from there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 223, 69 grain hpbt.jpg (20.4 KB, 40 views)
– St. Augustine
Old April 2, 2021, 04:24 PM   #5
Rimfire5

Kilotanker,

I have a Savage 12 FV 1:9 twist 26-inch barrel in .223.
I also believed the stability calculators that said 77 grain bullets would be marginally stable.

But when I saw a report from someone who said his 1:9 shot 77 grain bullets well, I decided to try them.

Turns out my 1:9 shot the Sierra 77 grain SMK and TMK bullets better than the 69s.

I then tried the same bullets in my tired old CZ 427 Varmint with a 1:9 twist 24-inch barrel.
It also shot them accurately.

I have two buddies who tried them, one with a 12 FV and the other with a CZ 527 Varmint with a 25.5-inch barrel.
They had similar results.

I've only shot the Sierras so I can only report on them.
My buddy with the 12 FV also shot Nosler CC 77 grain factory ammo and got good results.
You'll never know until you try heavier bullets in your particular rifle.
Old April 3, 2021, 09:24 AM   #6
std7mag

I was waiting for pictures of the gun...

I tried the 52gr SMK for the last match i shot in March. 200 yard IBS.
I had these loaded almost a week prior when weather forcast was showing 5mph wind.
Of course that changed by the day of the match to switchy 20mph.

Still chasing. Shoot ok at 100 & 200 yards for groups. But the one shot per target is giving me fits!

I managed to pick up 2 boxes of the 70gr Nosler RDF. Initial tests show some promise.

I've heard good about the 77gr RDF, but those guys are shooting 1:8-1:7 twists.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old April 3, 2021, 11:07 AM   #7
kilotanker22

Here are a couple photos for ya. My camera sucks BTW......

Also I was surprised at the trigger pull right out of the box. The photo of my lyman tool shows an average pull weight of 8 pulls. Less than a pound right out of the box. Not worried about it really. It passes the drop test. Overall pretty happy with it so far.

I wish the 75 grain. bTHP from Hornady would be a little more stable in my 1:9, but the 69 grain will work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_03042021_120143_(750_x_750_pixel).jpg (209.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_03042021_120117_(750_x_750_pixel).jpg (201.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_03042021_120216_(750_x_750_pixel).jpg (148.1 KB, 38 views)
– St. Augustine
Old April 3, 2021, 07:36 PM   #8
ms6852

Have you tried reloading the bullets using different loads and powders? You would be surprised what your results could yield starting from minimum to max loads.
Old April 3, 2021, 08:26 PM   #9
std7mag

Wow!!
Lowest i've ever been able to get a stock Savage trigger is 1.5lb.
I'm looking at a $90 Rifle Basix trigger to get to 14oz.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old April 4, 2021, 02:55 AM   #10
stagpanther

The accustock I have on my 110 LRH in 338 lapua is actually quite nice; it's the only synthetic stock I've ever used that I found that I didn't need to do additional work on to shoot well.

Last edited by stagpanther; April 4, 2021 at 06:24 PM.
Old April 4, 2021, 11:42 AM   #11
kilotanker22

Well
– St. Augustine
Old April 4, 2021, 11:46 AM   #12
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
Have you tried reloading the bullets using different loads and powders? You would be surprised what your results could yield starting from minimum to max loads.
BLC-(2) is a slowish for caliber ball powder. of course I have worked extensively with these components and powder in many firearms. I could start all the way at the bottom as you suggest, but I am not willing to sacrifice the velocity spread. Lower charges are going to yield a bigger spread in this case, as in every case before it.

Besides once I adjust the powder charge to get a consistent pressure curve, I will tune the seating depth and it will shoot more accurately than it does now. You would be amazed at how much I saved in time and components by not starting all the way at the bottom, when I have extensive experience using the his powder and these bullets in many other rifles

To answer your question, yes I have considered using different powders, but given the current market chose to use a powder that I have plenty of and don't need to worry about re supply.
– St. Augustine
Old April 4, 2021, 11:50 AM   #13
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
Wow!!
Lowest i've ever been able to get a stock Savage trigger is 1.5lb.
I'm looking at a $90 Rifle Basix trigger to get to 14oz.
My Savage 110 Tactical Desert also averages just under 1 pound. I think 15 oz. The varmint accutrigger is supposed to be adjustable from 1.5-4 pounds. I guess I just got lucky. The trigger from my Tactical Desert rifle did take some work to get it that low. This Savage Predator rifle has had no adjustments made.
– St. Augustine
Old April 4, 2021, 07:29 PM   #14
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
The accustock I have on my 110 LRH in 338 lapua is actually quite nice; it's the only synthetic stock I've ever used that I found that I didn't need to do additional work on to shoot well.
I agree, I have two Savage 110 rifles with the newer Accustock and I have no trouble whatsoever with them. Until trying to install an oversized precision ground recoil lug. I had to mill away much of the aluminum in the lug recess and to the sides of the lug recess to get the new lug to fit. I then Glass bedded that entire section to make up for the lost strength from milling the aluminum. Shoots very well.
– St. Augustine
Old April 13, 2021, 05:59 PM   #15
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
Last weekend I tried some Power Pro Varmint with the 69 grain BTHP. Velocity spread was better and velocity was actually better than with the BLC-(2), which surprised me. I may work with this powder some more and see about closing up that extreme spread a little more and doing a seating depth test.
– St. Augustine
Old April 13, 2021, 09:33 PM   #16
ms6852

I think the seating depths will help a great deal because it affects the harmonics in the barrel more than people realize. Many loaders do this but really don't understand how it affects it other than it shoots better.

Thanks for keeping us updated.
Old April 16, 2021, 11:09 AM   #17
m&p45acp10+1

I have the model 10FSSV It drives tacks with a combo of Reloader15 and Hornady 68Grain HPBT Match bullets. That bullet is near the same length as the Sierra 75 grain Match King. Also give those 77s a try. It will surprise you. Mine did quite well with them. I just got a better deal on the 68s in bulk, and they do so well I have stuck with it.
Old April 16, 2021, 01:21 PM   #18
RC20

Difference between 69 and 77 is all of 8 grains.

Unless it is unstable with 69, its not going to go nuts with 77 and a high probably it shoots at least equal.

The twist tables are a guideline to get you in an area, what you get in that area is not a snap over affect.

Its possible a given gun might not like anything in the area and say 62 is more its thing