The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 20, 2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Hedning

Bullet molds

Iv been buying the bullets needed for my BP shooting so far. But I want to make my own. So the question is simple...

I need advice on good ling range bullet styles and molds for cal 50 (12.17x44R), 45-70 and 45-90. (Maybe the same kind of bullet works fine for the 45`s?)

They are all going to be used in long range competitions. Up to 1000 yards. Im not interested in very expensive stuff. I find Lee products more than good enough. I think Ill resize the bullets for the 12.17 with a .509 resizer. So molds for this one have to be like .515.

.45 bullet molds have to atleast .459, cause Ill resize those to .458....

I dont have the twist rates in my head, but Ill check and post them if needed. Pretty important to find the perfect bullet....

Any advice is good..

Ha en fin dag.......

Last edited by Hedning; March 20, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old March 20, 2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Hedning

My experience here is limited to round balls for revolvers but I have found that I can get better performance from aluminum molds than from steel molds.

Heat up quicker and I don't like the sprew you get from a steel mold. You have to be careful with your rythm with aluminum molds because since they lose heat faster than steel, the consistency of the bullet size changes more rapidly.

On speer bullets the sprew may not be a problem.

I say again, I have only molded round balls
Old March 20, 2010, 02:48 PM   #3
robhof

robhof

I've got Lee, RCBS and LBT molds and for greatest accuracy and exactly what you want, nothing beats LBT molds; Veral Smith of Lead Bullet Technology will make the mold to your exact spec's, they're a little pricey, but well worth it for super accuracy. I don't size any of the bullets cast from his molds and get MOA with the right combo of powder and bullet. His are aluminum
Old March 24, 2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

When I have questions in this area I ask these guys. A search of their forum will usually answer your question for you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cmps_index.php
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 24, 2010, 05:46 PM   #5
Hedning

Wow....a forum just for casting, that`ll do it.... Thanks OG.
Old March 24, 2010, 10:42 PM   #6
ebr-lvr

robhof, thanks for the info on LBT in this thread. Appreciate it.

When a deadly situation presents,One will not "rise to the occasion" but will " default to his highest level of training"