The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 10, 2001, 07:55 PM   #1
Karsten

Savage 10FP or 110FP in .308?

Okay, I just bought a supposed to have NBF but I think differently.
Savage 10FP in .308 however i get the rifle and it is marked Savage 110FP .308 Win. Okay 10FP is the short Action and 110FP in the Long Action.
Savage doesn't list a .308 in the 110FP noe will this thing chamber a .308 dumby round or an empty casing either and allow the bolt to close completely.

What's up

Karsten
Old July 11, 2001, 03:33 PM   #2
Rob Pincus

Step number one is to take the rifle back where you bought it. If it was a private sale, I'd find out where the gun was originally purchased and go to the initial source to get your info.

For that matter, you could also try contacting Savage directly and have them check the gun by serial number to tell you exactly what you have.

My Savage rifle is in storage in another state right now, so I can't check and don't remember if the Bolts are marked with matching serial numbers, but you might check that too.
Old July 11, 2001, 08:32 PM   #3
Karsten

Oh Geez, I got panicked for nothing. Seems Savage only made Long Actions for years for all their centerfire offerings. So up until the 80's the .308 was a long action rifle.
So I guess I have a darn near NIB mid 80's rifle that may have never been fired more than 20 times.
It cleaned up great, bore was dusty but very shiny now and not a scuff on the metal.
All is well, pristine Long Action .308 Savage Tactical rifle, Bolt even say Savage Tactical..That wont be there long, botl will be sent off for a new knob soon.

Thanks
Karsten
Old July 12, 2001, 12:46 PM   #4
Chad Young

Does it chamber .308 cartridges now?
Old July 13, 2001, 07:20 PM   #5
Karsten

Yes Chad, It works just fine. I must just have an extremely tight chamber.
To start I tried chambering spent cases that were fired out of my Winchester Model 70. Those chamber fine even after beening fire in the Model &0 but not the Savage.
I tried a live round and all is well.

Thanks Guys

Karsten
Old July 16, 2001, 12:22 PM   #6
Chad Young

How does it shoot? I had the opportunity to shoot a 10FP and got less than MOA out of the box. I am curious if the 110FP will do the same.
Old July 20, 2001, 02:09 PM   #7
Bogie

The 10-series were introduced just a few years ago... My 110FP shoots just about anything I've fed it VERY well..

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old July 20, 2001, 06:42 PM   #8
ghillieman

have a 110fp savage (tactical) in 30-06 and you know what? It kicks the ass off my pops win 70"s (pre 64"s) savage is making the best out of the box gun today. the paper tells the truth.. at 725 yards in a cross wind got 8 inch group still feel it will do better, next time is 800 than to a 1000 yards. dont belive me? well come on down and I'll show ya ghillieman