The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 1, 2024, 10:44 PM   #1
jonnyc

Scope Suggestion?

I recently got a Ruger Ranch in .300 BLK and I love it. I only had one spare scope at the time and it currently sports a 'way too much' optic. I'm looking for something in the 1-5x24 ballpark, but I am a cheapskate when it comes to accessories. I'm not taking it into battle, just to the 100-200 yard range, and possibly for an emergency deer hunt (if PA ever allows bottle-necked rounds).
Any suggestions in the $100 (or less!) range?
Old March 1, 2024, 11:56 PM   #2
taylorce1

I have none for less than $100. You might check out air rifle section at Wal-Mart.
Old March 2, 2024, 03:45 AM   #3
tangolima

Sounds like lpvo. Amazon has some of those in that price range. Needless to say they are no-name brands from the far east. Not just brand name products that are made there, but really brands from there that are unheard of. If you know your optics, you may pick out one that is good enough. Free return helps.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old March 2, 2024, 05:53 AM   #4
ligonierbill

You could try online auctions for used scopes. I've had good luck there. Where did you get the idea that PA disallows bottleneck cartridges?
Old March 2, 2024, 10:08 AM   #5
jonnyc

"Where did you get the idea that PA disallows bottleneck cartridges?"

Not sure! I thought it was just shotgun, and rifle in some areas. My friend recently started with .350 Legend to get around that. I'm in SE PA and not a hunter, so I've never really done a deep-dive on the issue. I could easily be wrong.
Old March 2, 2024, 12:01 PM   #6
sako2

I live in PA and hunted here since i was a kid. Long time ago. Been using bottle neck cases all along. You can't use a semi for big game.
Old March 2, 2024, 01:35 PM   #7
jonnyc

Thanks!
Old March 2, 2024, 09:09 PM   #8
berettaprofessor

Get a 4X32 fixed scope....a Tru-Glo, believe it or not, is one of my favorites because it's short, light, and clear, and another alternative is one of the Simmons 4X32 or 3-9X40 cheapies. The focusable eyepiece of the latter makes it a go-to for rimfire work. One step up from those is a Vortex 2-7X32, which you can still get for $99 sometimes if you shop. Try FocusCamera or Joe-Bob Outfitters for best prices on the latter.
Old March 2, 2024, 09:32 PM   #9
jmr40

Sub $100 isn't realistic, it will be junk. Most of those are hard to zero and won't stay zeroed. Decent scopes start at $200 MSRP. You can often get one discounted for less.

I recently bought one of these for $250 OTD.

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-VX-Fr...21&sr=8-4&th=1

I know it's more scope than you want or need, but when I look at price vs quality I'd make this 3-9X40 work. IMO this is a BETTER scope than the low end Leupold's that sell for $300. MSRP used to be $200 for the base scope, $225 for the ballistic plex reticle. $160 for a Ballistic Plex reticle is a bargain for the quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Fullfi...31&sr=8-1&th=1

It's the same size and weight as most fixed 4X scopes for less money. Leave it on 3X all the time if you don't need more magnification.

Winston Churchill
Old March 3, 2024, 01:23 AM   #10
Pumpkin

Another recommendation for the Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32. Very clear, fast focus eyepiece and reasonably compact. It is a little over your price range $150 +or- a few bucks but has a lifetime warranty.
Old March 3, 2024, 07:26 AM   #11
jetinteriorguy

A couple years ago while visiting a friend of mine who is heavily into long range stuff I noticed his deer rifle had a Hawke scope on it and he was telling what a great scope it was. I tried it and really liked it, so I picked one up for my own use. Very reasonably priced, nice and clear, with a great reticle that had the option to be lit with a 2MOA dot.
Old March 3, 2024, 02:41 PM   #12
Mike38

The company Bushnell has greatly improved their products over the past few years. As I understand it, they are in the process of moving their manufacturing from China to South Korea, and the quality of their products shows. In the past 2 years, I have purchased three scopes from Bushnell from Optics Planet. One for my Ruger 10/22 which is a 3.5-10x35 AO "Rimfire Series". One for a .223 single shot NEF rifle I have. It is Bushnell's "AR Series" 3-9x40 AO. The third I bought was their "Banner II Series" 3-9x40. I monitored Optics Planet web site for sales and got each of the above scopes on sale for less than $150 each. Of these three scopes, the one I am most impressed with is the "Rimfire Series". The "AR Series" line are very good scope for the money. The Banner II scope is what could be called acceptable for the money.

Last edited by Mike38; March 3, 2024 at 02:47 PM.
Old March 4, 2024, 03:07 AM   #13
bamaranger

'scopes

Optics have gotten very pricey in recent times, even used ones. Especially in demand and hard to locate are low powered variables with 1" tubes. I am aware of one scope that fits the OP's parameters, the Bushnell Banner 1.5-5x. Last I checked they are still out there and under $100 . Only problem is .......well........it's a Bushnell. A low priced Bushnell at that. I have a whole drawer full of wonky Bushnells, Tascos (china) and a couple of Simmons from years back when that was all I was willing to spend and most all went sour.
I'm pretty much a Leupold and Burris kinda guy now, though I do have one working (for now) Bushnell fixed 10X and an asian Voretex 1-4x.

As far as affordable brands go, one might look and see what Hi-Lux offers, and the entry level Vortex scopes aren't too bad.
Old March 4, 2024, 06:13 AM   #14
jonnyc

Thanks all...lots to think about.
Old March 4, 2024, 07:57 AM   #15
sako2

Vortex is a good scope. Europtics has them. https://www.eurooptic.com/CF2-31003-...h--Dead-H.aspx
Old March 4, 2024, 07:58 AM   #16
sako2

Are you far from Muncy.
Old March 4, 2024, 08:38 AM   #17
Nathan

Thanks for the reality check. I would have a hard time finding rings and bases for under $100. Hmm.

My point of this post is not intended to be rude or uppity. My point is you should really consider the amount of ammo, time, frustration, lost game one can have chasing zero or accuracy with sub par optics.

The test: Put your optic on. Sight it in. Get 2 boxes of ammo for this test. Shoot 10 rounds from a box of 20. Keep the target. Take it hunting, let it ride in a soft case in the bed of the truck, just use it without excessive care and over 1-3 months time. Shoot the last 10 rounds the same way into a bullseye. Compare the targets. Did it move? How much? Calculate the move back to zero. Dial that move in. Shoot 10 more. Did it adjust back to original point of impact? The point is, most “cheap” optics either don’t hold zero and/or don’t dial precisely.

There are options. Iron sights are pretty good to 100 or even 200yds with practice. There are some good red dots from $100-$200. Often mounts are ~$50.

Optics marketed as 3-9x32,36,40 often sell normally for $25-50 less. These also have the biggest discounts.

Warne mounts are not cheap, but they are reasonably priced, precisely made and reliable. Leupold makes some decent mounts. None of their decent mounts involve twist in rings. Sorry, you are just being setup for failure with those, IME.
Old March 4, 2024, 01:08 PM   #18
Pumpkin

I would never let any of my guns ride in a soft case in the back of my truck.
And I definitely wouldn't let one of my nice scoped (Leupold) rifles ride around in the back of my pickup.

Last edited by Pumpkin; March 4, 2024 at 01:15 PM.
Old March 4, 2024, 04:40 PM   #19
Ricklin

Why the hate for twist in rings? Strong as all get out, one screw and back to iron sites. If you like the looks and lines of a fine rifle the twist in mounts tend to look the best, IMO.
I just put a big scope on my 22" .223, twist in std. height rings has the scope right down on the bore. Strong and sleek, I like twist in. Weaver mounts especially look added on, twist in looks like it belongs there.
Old March 4, 2024, 08:00 PM   #20
Pumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin View Post
Why the hate for twist in rings? Strong as all get out, one screw and back to iron sites. If you like the looks and lines of a fine rifle the twist in mounts tend to look the best, IMO.
I just put a big scope on my 22" .223, twist in std. height rings has the scope right down on the bore. Strong and sleek, I like twist in. Weaver mounts especially look added on, twist in looks like it belongs there.
Not Tacticool enough! I can remember getting criticized for using Weaver mounts back in the day instead of twist in style rings and bases. I was much poorer back then.
Now everything has the mother of all weaver type bases on it. I wonder how many Ruger No. 1’s have a rail on them?

Last edited by Pumpkin; March 4, 2024 at 08:06 PM.
Old March 4, 2024, 10:31 PM   #21
FrankenMauser

johnnyc, did you end up buying a scope?
Old March 5, 2024, 06:09 AM   #22
jonnyc

Not yet. I'll do my calculations this weekend.
Old March 5, 2024, 11:05 AM   #23
FrankenMauser

Take a look at Athlon scopes.
A lot of bang for your buck.
Even their "bottom end" offerings absolutely eclipse the common recommendations - Vortex's crappy glass, and vague and sticky adjustments, in particular.
Old March 5, 2024, 06:16 PM   #24
Nathan

Quote:
Why the hate for twist in rings?
Quote:
Not Tacticool enough! I can remember getting criticized for using Weaver mounts back in the day instead of twist in style rings and bases.
Not criticizing here. Not sure what Tacticool is, but I’m sure that is important somehow.

Twist in rings tend to either come loose or get loose over time. This is not to mention the problems getting them aligned to the scope tube and the bore axis. This is where scope ring marks seem to come from….

I’ve just seen others loose animals or opportunities due to equipment failure. I haven’t for a long time…..or we’ll ever that I can remember.

Odd in this thread I come off as the overspender….normally I’m being picked at for suggesting my lowly cheap optics and mounts make acceptable aiming devices.
Old March 5, 2024, 07:03 PM   #25
tangolima

Also called dual dovetail (DD) rings, I haven't had a chance to try them. Seems it offers the mechanism to take out misalignment between rings without lapping. Don't see the point of it with one-piece base or picatinny rail. Strongest mount system they claim. I simply don't see that.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk