The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 11, 2000, 11:03 PM   #1
Strabs

What are the correct procedures to take? It's an 870 w/20" I.C. barrel.
For checking the sights, what should I pay attention to sighting in first, slugs(rifled) or buckshot? (I want the versatility of using either type of load at any time. Are separate adjustments needed for each type of load-or just height compensations when aiming?)
Old February 12, 2000, 09:16 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Strabs, does your 870 have rifle style sights?If so, I assume(bad idea) you know how to zero in. Zero for slugs first, then check and see where the pattern lands for whatever duty shot load you plan on using, 00, 0, etc.
IME, most, not all buck loads will center a bit lower than slugs will hit,to the point that a bbl with a plain bead, no ramp, will shoot buck maybe 18 inches below POI with standard Forster style slugs.

I recommend you zero from the bench,with plenty of recoil protection and maybe a dose of your favoriate anti-inflammatory first. Bench work with slugs is not fun, but it is crucial.

'Nother recommendation or two. After you establish a good working zero from the bench, fire a few shots from a standing position, using good form.Sometimes POI shifts big time.

Also, try patterning your practice field or trap load, if you use one,and msot folks do. It might save some frustration and ammo.

Hope this helps...
Old August 14, 2001, 01:21 PM   #3
Coop de Ville

Thanks for the info...

What is a good range to sight in at? I have an 18" Police with rifle sights. I picked up a bunch of K.O. 1oz. slugs and would like to get a "zero". I have not been able to find any trajectory info on these slugs...

Thanks and regards. -Coop
Old August 14, 2001, 02:07 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Check thr archives Coop, I'm certain we covered this a while back. If I can find the thread(s), I'll bring them back up...