The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 29, 2002, 03:36 PM   #1
ThePatriot29

Self defense classes - How to set up?

I'm trying to get a 2 week self defense class taught at my college. I was thinking some type of unarmed defensive stuff, preliminary knife, and pistol/shotgun. It would be an introduction, but just enough that someone would be better off, and maybe spark further interest. Any suggestions on how to organize this?
Old September 29, 2002, 09:16 PM   #2
Country Boy

I would focus on the unarmed aspects of self defense. Being that so many people are leery of weapons, college administration included, I wouldn't introduce anything dealing with handguns, shotguns, or knives. That could be kept for a seperate course. (I don't think much of knives as a defensive weapon, but that's another story.) I'm a strong believer in the KISS theory, so I would stick with unarmed self defense.

If your town is big enough for a college, they are probably big enough to have some sort of martial arts school. Talk to them about hosting a basic self-defense course. Get some references from them.
Old September 29, 2002, 09:41 PM   #3
Blackhawk

Analyze it:

A college sponsoring or hosting an event or class assumes responsibility for what happens.

Some student becomes emboldened to "save the day" as a result of the class, and gets hurt.

Legal troubles follow the publicity that crops up immediately.

The buck stops at the administrator, who's left holding a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] sandwich.

How many "defense instructors" are credentialed college professors, coaches, or instructors, anyway?

There are many risks for the college, and the only plus side is that students might learn something valuable.

The latter case has never offset the former situation yet, so you're going to have to come up with a "socially, politically, and legally acceptable" way to eliminate the risks to the bureaucrats who run the college.

My guess? It ain't gonna happen because it complicates things for the administrators....
Old September 30, 2002, 08:26 AM   #4
gryphon

An alternative might be to have a local karate/kung fu dojo have the event at their facility. Then your only concern is advertising the event and if the college will allow you to do that. It might also allow you to do some things with firearm defense/tactics without the college beauracracy getting in the way, since they are not hosting.
Old September 30, 2002, 10:40 AM   #5
kungfool

I've had two young friends who (they were TKD blackbelts) teach TKD at colleges with the administration's blessing and support.

First, they did not pitch it as a "self'defense" course, but rather as an introduction to TKD and a way for student's to learn mental and physical discipline, which of course has many benifits.

Once the course was introduced it was an easy matter for my friend's to organize an informal class away from the college for those who did wish to learn more than was being offered.

For the most part, martial arts is an unlegislated business. Joe Blow can open "Joe blow's School of Self defense" with no qualifications whatsover for the most part.

I am a 4th dan (degree0 blackbelt. I am a certified continental coach and/or referee for under two national organizations, (one with a direct tie to the kukiwon) I am a certified regional coach/referee under the USTU, (the USA's largest TKD union)

I have been certified under two organizations as a senior instructor.

I've got certificates hanging all over the place. No one has EVER asked me for proof of my abilities! EVER! Now and then someone may look at a certificate but only casually.

People now come to me because of word of mouth. They come to me because I have a proven track record of using martial arts as a tool to empower others to improve their lives.

So if the local MA school has an instructor that either trained at one of many "McDojo's" or he is unquailfied to teach what he is teaching may not be so easilay ascertained.

If you have no training yourself then go out and find it and then bring it to a univeersity. Or visit some local MA schools (if any) or find someone who is reputed to have the skills. perhaps an ex or retired law enforcement offical in the area has some expertise?

In the end, while I would like to see martial arts offered as curriculum in universities, a self-defense course would as pointed out, be a crapshoot at best for the university.

Dreams + Effort = Reality
Old September 30, 2002, 03:17 PM   #6
Captain

Four years ago I was asked to stand in at a local Community College and teach an "Intro to Handguns" class for a police officer friend of mine. I went through pretty much a basic NRA program with a few additions to fill the course time that was alloted. I got through the course and got pretty good reviews from the class at the completion. The administrsation also got good reviews about the class and called to let me know that they'd like to have me back to do it as a regular thing with the exception of my "adventure" with the students. Seems they didn't like our trip to the range for the live fire portion. They wanted me to do the program and leave out the range protion! I told them that would be like teaching someone to drive without letting them get behind the wheel. I refused to go along with their desires so my experience teaching at a college lasted on semester! Oh well!
Old October 1, 2002, 11:21 AM   #7
kungfool

I did fail to mention that in both cases my friends agreed not to have any contact sparring. But for those who wanted to learn more than they were teaching, they took it upon themselves to give them instruction in the park on weekends.

Success is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Old October 1, 2002, 02:12 PM   #8
Gomez

ThePatriot29:

I would suggest that you look into the RAD program (www.rad-systems.com). They are based out of Poquoson. RAD is a program that was developed for the University environment. It has been recognized by the IACLEA, which makes it a lot easier sell to the campus administration. While the RAD program is not an outstanding program, it does include a fair amount of dynamic simulation (redman suit drills) and it has a "lifetime return" policy. Once someone has taken the course they may repeat it at any location where it is offered for the rest of their lives, at no charge.

The RAD program was developed as a female self defense program, however they have branched out and are offering a RAD for men program also.

Good Luck!