The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 28, 2018, 12:06 PM   #126
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Years ago, I was kinda, sorta fired up to get a Blackhawk .41mag but when I looked for ammo in the same store it was non-existent and this is a large well stocked gun shop.

That pretty much sealed its fate ---for me---never looked at another .41 since.

Do own a Glock 10mm though.
-------Metallica
Old October 28, 2018, 02:27 PM   #127
stagpanther

I have gobs of 41 bullets--though maybe the weight spread isn't quite that of a 44 mag--it's certainly more than enough. Venture off into hard cast and you can get even more.
Old October 31, 2018, 07:38 AM   #128
fourbore

Why no 41 love? The 32 mag will give you either an extra shot (like lcr) or smaller gun (like single 7). Then you step up to 38/357 with either more power or heavier bullets with reduced fire power or a heavier gun.

The next step up is either very popular 44 or near obsolete 41. The same 6 shots in the exact same size and weight guns. Almost identical bore diameter and bullet weights. Although the 44 will handle 240 grain while 200 grains loads are for either 41 or 44.

The number 41 sounds smaller than the number 44. The actual bore diameters are much closer. But; after 6 pages of replies we already know that.

The real question is not "why is thier no love", but; "why would anyone ever buy one"? At any time now or back in the stone ages. All I can figure is irrational fear of the 44 recoil or for fun to play with something different. Or today, getting a used gun for 50c on the dollar and being an avid reloader. Maybe a 4th reason is a rare collector model, new in box.
Old October 31, 2018, 09:06 AM   #129
Charlie98

Quote:
The real question is not "why is thier no love", but; "why would anyone ever buy one"? At any time now or back in the stone ages.
If you really look at all the cartridges extant, you could probably nix half of them with the very same argument.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old October 31, 2018, 10:09 AM   #130
black mamba

To me the real reason to have a 41 mag over the 44 mag is noticeably less recoil and muzzle blast with virtually no reduction in performance. If that is important to you, then the 41 is a great choice . . . especially if you reload.
Old October 31, 2018, 01:44 PM   #131
rclark

Quote:
noticeably less recoil and muzzle blast with virtually no reduction in performance. If that is important to you, then the 41 is a great choice . . . especially if you reload.
Actually if you reload, you can reduce the recoil and muzzle blast of the .44Mag. So not a valid statement.

The most 'logical' reason to own a .41 Mag is 'Because, darn it, because I want to'! Good a reason as any that I've heard!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old October 31, 2018, 03:01 PM   #132
KEYBEAR

The 41 Mag was my very first Big Revolver . I shot it for 5/6 years and found it cost to shoot and it was not a 44Mag . I still have 41 Mag ammo but unless I find a 41 Mag very very cheap I have more then I need .
Old October 31, 2018, 06:51 PM   #133
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
If you really look at all the cartridges extant, you could probably nix half of them with the very same argument.
WAY more than half, in my opinion. Which is a very good thing, or I would not have enough money or space to deal with the guns and ammo I would need otherwise.
Old October 31, 2018, 07:51 PM   #134
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEAR
I still have 41 Mag ammo but unless I find a 41 Mag very very cheap I have more then I need .
I've given up on .41 mag. Was thinking of a used 'Smith but I really wanted a 7"+ barrel length. Seems everyone on Gunstroker that owns an older used .41 Smith thinks they will fetch $1300+. Nope, not me, got plenty of handguns to fill any and all shooting moods within my current collection.
Old November 1, 2018, 08:27 AM   #135
agtman

Quote:
noticeably less recoil and muzzle blast with virtually no reduction in performance. If that is important to you, then the 41 is a great choice . . . especially if you reload.
Quote:
Actually if you reload, you can reduce the recoil and muzzle blast of the .44Mag. So not a valid statement.
Actually, since you can shoot .44 Special out of a .44Mag, you can get to the same energy result without having to reload for it.

Last edited by agtman; November 1, 2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old November 1, 2018, 09:45 AM   #136
Charlie98

It seems like, after going through this thread... that there are 3 kinds of '41' people.

1) People like me, that just treat it like any other firearm they have/had/might have... realizing that it very closely mirrors the .44 and nearly the .357 (when downloaded, etc) and that every platform had it's own advantages and disadvantages.

2) Others that have found it really isn't for them, or prefer a different cartridge and/or firearm, or just don't like it as much as their trusty .357/10mm/.40/.44/.45, etc.

3) Others that, if not hate, well... lets just say realllly dislike the .41 for myriad reasons.

I've been loading for the .41 for almost 30 years, I never really had a problem finding something to load for it. I don't need esoteric bullet weights or construction. I don't need them at 3000fps. I don't need specialty trimmed-down brass to run light loads. I don't have a problem finding firearms to shoot .41 in... while not as plentiful as some other chamberings, they are out there and are still in current production.

The .41 is not the .44, nor the .357, but you can load all 3 of those (and, for that matter, the peripheral cartridges) very nearly to the same level, the only exception would be to the limits of the cartridge itself. I don't think there is any difference between the recoil of a .41 and a .44 loaded to the same velocity and the same weight bullet... none that I can detect, and I don't subscribe to the notion that a full-house .41 kicks less than a full-house .44... there just isn't that much difference, physics being what they are.

The cost of loaded factory ammunition is roughly the same, comparing apples to apples. Availability might be a factor, but I'll argue that ammunition and components are just a click away. No, you are right... you probably won't find factory .41 at the 7-Eleven in downtown Dallas... you got me there.

There is the argument of versatility... being able to load Specials in the .357 and .44, vs the single 'Magnum' loading in the .41. If you are looking for a lightly-loaded pistol cartridge, I would probably just eschew the .357 and .44 in it's Magnum loadings altogether and find a nice .38 or .44SPC and call it a day. Beyond that, I have no problems loading my .41MAG brass to '.41SPC' levels (however arbitrary they might be.)

You love your .357's...? Great! It's a fine round. 10mm...? I think the 10 has serious potential as an autoloading cartridge. 44MAG...? Another fine cartridge, steeped in legend and lore. The .41MAG...? It may not have the fame or notoriety the others have, but it's out there, everyday, getting it done.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old November 1, 2018, 02:54 PM   #137
black mamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark View Post
You left out the important part of my post:

Quote:
. . . with virtually no reduction in performance

I'll be more specific. If you compare MAX loadings of 41 and 44 mag cartridges using bullets with the same SD at the same velocity (220 gr 41s to 240 gr 44s @ 1,500 fps), the performance would be virtually identical. If you lower the bullet weight or velocity of the 44 mag load to equal the recoil of the smaller, more efficient 41 mag, then performance would no longer be equal.
Old November 2, 2018, 05:12 AM   #138
BWM

I like my S&W 41Mag it will be here till I kick the bucket
Old November 2, 2018, 05:37 AM   #139
stagpanther

Ballistically, it's an effective cartridge.

Next dead horse please.
Old November 2, 2018, 10:04 AM   #140
Real Gun

Quote:
I'm not sure where you live, but it doesn't come anywhere close to matching my experience. When I had a 10mm (EAA Witness) I had no problems finding multiple flavors of ammo.

I am not in an urban area, but could go to Greenville and shop around, if I didn't shoot reloads. It's just that the common store selling ammo for handguns is unlikely to have much besides 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and maybe not sold out of 22 LR.
Old November 2, 2018, 10:12 AM   #141
Real Gun

Quote:
Next dead horse please.
Everyone has their favorite dead horse. I know...let's talk about grips. Maybe post pics of our favorite gun for the hundredth time.
Old November 4, 2018, 09:16 AM   #142
TxFlyFish

There’s something cool and nostalgic about stuffing an outdated cartridge in an outdated gun. And really tbh 41 vs 44 it don’t make a difference at that point
Old November 4, 2018, 10:46 AM   #143
Real Gun

Some insist on being the agitator, but really what is "outdated" are real guns, because it is now so common for people to carry little pocket guns rather than dress for concealment or because their pants won't stay up with more weight on their belt.

As far as comparing 41 and 44 Magnums, only those who have never shot them both would dismiss the difference.
Old November 4, 2018, 01:55 PM   #144
stagpanther

Quote:
As far as comparing 41 and 44 Magnums, only those who have never shot them both would dismiss the difference.
+1 agree (I might add reload for both as well; but why split hairs).
Old November 5, 2018, 11:08 PM   #145
TxFlyFish

Real guns you are making things seem like 41mag is some magic caliber. Everyone who’s popped 44mag range ammo knows how a 41mag feels like.
Old November 6, 2018, 08:41 AM   #146
Salmoneye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_98
...and my favorite .41 combo... my Marlin 1894FG and Dan Wesson...
Pretty sure that the gun in that picture is not an 1894FG...

FG is .41 Mag with a pistol grip, not the straight stock shown, and is highly sought after...

The .44 Mag with pistol grip is the 1894PG...

My guess is the pictured gun is an 1894S...
Old November 6, 2018, 09:48 AM   #147
Real Gun

Quote:
Real guns you are making things seem like 41mag is some magic caliber. Everyone who’s popped 44mag range ammo knows how a 41mag feels like.
It is true that a shooter might feel punished either way, but have you actually tried it? It is true that 41 is known for being a step down from 44 Mag.
Old November 6, 2018, 10:28 AM   #148
TxFlyFish

I have not shot 41mag.

Sharing the same frame, similar powders, similar bullets weights and diameter and pressure. Slightly less energy at full power loads. Unless there’s something I’m missing, is there anything different other than a slight power decrease?
Old November 6, 2018, 11:08 AM   #149
stagpanther

I've shot both 41 and 44 mag for years in my blackhawks--and generally run my handloads hot for both. The 41 mag has respectable kick but I can manage to shoot it for long sessions. The 44 mag will slam you pretty hard and after a while it starts to hurt my wrists.
Old November 6, 2018, 01:14 PM   #150
dahermit

Quote:
Sharing the same frame, similar powders, similar bullets weights and diameter and pressure. Slightly less energy at full power loads. Unless there’s something I’m missing, is there anything different other than a slight power decrease?
Yes... .019 in bullet diameter.