The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 3, 2013, 07:09 PM   #1
spanishjames

We can use Bloomberg's money!

As many of you know, Mayor Bloomberg and his group, Mayors Against Illigal Guns (MAIG), is spending a lot of money to sway our representatives to vote for Universal Background Checks, as well as other limitations on our Rights, firearms, magazines, and so forth. MAIG is asking that citizens call or email their senators to support restrictions being discussed in congress. http://www.demandaction.org/

MAIG asks that you call a toll-free number, after which you'll be connected to your senator directly. All you have to do is tell your senator the opposite of what MAIG asks you to do, (except for your name and location of course). Namely:

1.Tell them your name and where you are from.
2.Tell them to oppose Senate Bill 649 which requires criminal background checks for every gun sale in America.
3.Ask them to oppose legislation that bans assault weapons and limits high-capacity magazines.

The toll-free number is 855-440-4800 .

I just called, and after a few talking points and entering my zip code, I was immediately connected to my senator's office. It took no more than two minutes, and the call was free to me, but not to Bloomberg.
Old April 4, 2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Texshooter

Done.

Very easy to do, but even better - very smart.

It only connected me to the office of one of my U.S. Senators (they had stated they were targeting both) and she simply took my message of NO to any new control and did not ask for name or anything.

Sweet
Old April 8, 2013, 04:12 PM   #3
dakota.potts

I also called, got straight to somebody in the office, they asked for my zip code and took my opinion. Awesome.
Old April 8, 2013, 04:23 PM   #4
BarryLee

So, is Bloomberg keeping count of the number of calls made and thus planning to count each call as a supporter of Universal Background Checks? I guess it is not really that big of a deal since they play so loose with the facts anyway, but just a thought.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman