The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old May 23, 2005, 02:09 PM   #1
payne

20 year old open carry?

My wife to be is wanting to carry a pistol for protection. Especially when going to not so safe areas and at night. Thing is, she's 20. That counts out consealed carry. But what about open carry. In Alabama we are a traditional open carry state. So does this mean she can carry the firearm if she carries it openly?

She's little blond cheerleader at the local college. Lotta people see and know her. She's had a couple guys scare her before. And she knows I carry and has started asking me questions about carrying. I think that it's stupid you cant carry a firearm consealed before 21 but you can carry a full auto in the millitary at 18.
Old May 23, 2005, 02:30 PM   #2
Cryptoboy

Depends on your state laws concerning her owning a handgun. Most seem to be you can own one at 18, but can't buy one until 21. Not to mention the legalities of carrying on campus.

Check your state laws and school policies before she starts carrying.

Go NOLES!!!!!
Old May 23, 2005, 02:58 PM   #3
jefnvk

Another thing to consider, how common is open carry where you live? It may be legal, but you may also face some bogus charge like disturbing the peace. In other words, is the general public going to freak out if they see her carrying?

Try http://www.packing.org for the information.

EDIT: packing.org shows the min age for a CCW as 18, and Open carry as OK as long as it is not done in a vehicle. May want to look into a CCW, if that is true. If she needs a pistol, buy her one as a gift, it is perfectly legal for an 18 year old to posess, just not buy from an FFL (barring any state laws prohibiting it).
Old May 23, 2005, 04:08 PM   #4
payne

Thanks guys, the university has no policy for weapons of self defense not being allowed. She has shot my 22, 9, and 40. She loves shooting the 22 and wants it to carry now. It holds 10+1. I believe that this would be enough to deter any would be BG. It's a P22, I love shooting it too. I figure if i load it up with some hot rounds like Stingers it would be pretty effective. She can handle the 9 and 40 but doesn't like the recoil from either. By the way what 9mm would you recomend for a 20yro 5'5" 135lb female. I would really prefer her carry at least that, but if 22 is all she'll carry then it's better than nothing.

Open carry not too common but I have seen it round here.

I didn't know the age was 18. always assumed CCW was 21. Thanks for that info. Are most states 21 while some are 18? Thanks for everything.
Old May 23, 2005, 04:16 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Allow me to agree with the sentiment that CCW age should be lowered to the same age as dying for Uncle Sam (18), and it certainly should not be as high as my state requirement (23 years). Stupid laws!

I'll just mention also, that IF she does open carry, that can in some cases be an invitation to a predator to try to take the gun and use it against her, particularly if she is petite, so if she does, I'd highly recommend:

1. A very good retention device(s) on the holster - no open top holster, and

2. Have her practice a lot drawing, shooting, and perhaps even some wrestling/matial arts/judo, or just plain old retention drills. Helps to stay in good physical shape of course too.
Old May 23, 2005, 05:33 PM   #6
jefnvk

Quote:
I didn't know the age was 18. always assumed CCW was 21. Thanks for that info. Are most states 21 while some are 18? Thanks for everything.
Not too many are 18, I never knew before today that Alabama was. The two that come to mind are Indiana and Vermont (no license needed).