The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 1, 2014, 04:31 PM   #1
ligonierbill

Cimarron Lightning

Any personal experience with this reproduction revolver? I load and shoot .41 Long Colt from a beat up but functional Army Special. Looking for a better one, but it appears "snake fever" is infecting the bidders for these plain but sturdy old guns. I am more interested in shooting than collecting, but I may just have to ante up.
Old December 1, 2014, 04:45 PM   #2
Trum4n1208

No personal experience, but IIRC they haven't made one in .41 LC. I've been wrong before though.
Old December 1, 2014, 06:09 PM   #3
Hawg

They make it in .41 Colt in four barrel lengths.
Old December 1, 2014, 06:13 PM   #4
ligonierbill

They do, at least their ads and website say so. It's the only. 41 colt in current production.
Old December 1, 2014, 06:51 PM   #5
Trum4n1208

Ah okay, my apologies, I was not aware. My bad.

Edit: Yep, just looked them up. Boy, is my face red
Old December 1, 2014, 07:45 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

I've been interested in those as well - I'd like one of the 32/20 conversion models - but I've never run across anyone who has first hand experience with them. they look like a nice little six gun. Although patterned after the Lightning - they are not DA though but rather SA - which would be fine with me.

As an added thought though . . . if you decide to get one. I did recently buy a 357 Uberti Bisley. I took a look at what Ubetti, Taylor and Cimarron had and ended up ordering a Uberti though the LGS I use sometimes. AFter all - the Taylor and Cimarrons are Ubertis. By ordering through my LGS, they gave me a good price not he Bisley - they called Uberti to make sure they had one in stock - took two weeks to arrive and I got it out the door for a decent savings over the MSRP that is listed on the websites.

I load and shoot a lot of 38 Colt Short, Long and 38 Spl. - I have a nice Colt Army Special DOB of 1910. A great revolver and lots of fun to shoot. I have kept my eyes open for a Colt or Smith in 32/20 but as you say . . the prices leave a lot to be desired. I'm also more interested in shooting/reloading rather than collecting so I figure I'll be going the same route and probably get a Uberti. My Bisley is a beautiful piece - great fit and finish and a great shooter.

If you go that route, please post some photos and your thoughts on it after you get it. I'd love to hear from someone who actually has one to see how they like it. Good luck!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 1, 2014, 07:57 PM   #7
Hawg

Actually they don't look like a Lightening but rather a standard 73 with birdshead grips.
Old December 2, 2014, 01:43 AM   #8
9mmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg
Actually they don't look like a Lightening but rather a standard 73 with birdshead grips.
The grip frame is modeled after the 1877 double action, while the "upper" frame is a standard Model P. Found
this for comparison to standard bird's head grips.

I have the Thunderer 3.5" in .45 Colt, and it's a fun little gun. Nice out-in-the-woods NY reload for my 5.5" Model P.

Last edited by 9mmfan; December 2, 2014 at 01:45 AM. Reason: We all love pics