The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 6, 2018, 08:52 PM   #26
kymasabe

I buy stripped uppers and lowers. I lay out all my parts on my clean work bench, taking my time so I don't ding or scratch anything. I like to put my barrels in my dimpling jig in my drill press and dimple each barrel, and I clean and lube everything during assy. Layout to cleanup for me is just under 2 hours taking my time, and when done they're range ready. If I rush and throw together a beater rifle, takes about an hour, start to finish. Honestly, I often enjoy the hunt for the perfect part and the assembly process more than owning the finished product.
Old November 7, 2018, 12:55 AM   #27
rickyrick

Quote:
Honestly, I often enjoy the hunt for the perfect part and the assembly process more than owning the finished product.
Bingo! That’s it in a nut shell.

Looking for, ordering and collecting the parts (and an unhealthy obsession with tracking shipments) was the best part.
Now that the market is bountiful in parts, I’ve kinda lost interest.
They just passed some semi auto law where I live and I find myself in the awkward situation of sitting on a pile of them. eek
Old November 7, 2018, 07:27 AM   #28
Mobuck

I "dinged" an upper yesterday while pounding home the reluctant FA retainer roll pin. A swipe with a Sharpie and it's hardly noticeable. I'd be upset if this was a customer build but since it's a "tractor cab" gun, it's not a concern.
We all have different priorities and I understand most don't have my fatalistic attitude toward "chore guns".
Old November 7, 2018, 10:56 AM   #29
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck
I "dinged" an upper yesterday while pounding home the reluctant FA retainer roll pin. A swipe with a Sharpie and it's hardly noticeable. I'd be upset if this was a customer build but since it's a "tractor cab" gun, it's not a concern.
We all have different priorities and I understand most don't have my fatalistic attitude toward "chore guns".
The first scratch on a watch crystal, the first scrape or dent on a car, the first ugly marks on a gun...these transitory traumas mark the moment we no longer carry the burden of keeping something in perfect shape.

I sat down with a stripped lower to show someone how to build one. I focused on his ability to see and understand each step and answer questions as he had them. It was all done, and I had two parts left, the bolt catch detent and spring. I swore, drive the roll pin out, and completed the lower.

In my peeved fury, I also left a nice shiney hammer mark on one of the ears holding the roll pin. Consequently, it sees more use and experimentation; my ugliest lower is also my favorite.
Old November 9, 2018, 09:23 AM   #30
Skans

I've assembled two - I'd say on average it takes me an hour. I take my time.
Old November 9, 2018, 10:56 AM   #31
Omaha-BeenGlockin

The first one takes forever----the ones after that go pretty quickly

My first took a while because I didn't want to mess anything up or lose a part-----once I had it figured out, I can now slap one together in no time.
-------Metallica
Old November 9, 2018, 11:13 AM   #32
xandi

The best part is when you drop one of the round parts, then spend an hour finding it, only to drop it again…
Old November 9, 2018, 08:45 PM   #33
Mobuck

"The best part is when you drop one of the round parts, then spend an hour finding it, only to drop it again…"

I'd bet there's a dozen assorted detents, plungers, and springs scattered in the dark corners of my assembly area. Once a year, I take my "magnet-on-a-stick" and poke around amongst the dust bunnies mining for lost parts.
Old November 10, 2018, 02:16 PM   #34
ed308

Or when a spring decides to take flight.
Old November 14, 2018, 10:25 AM   #35
Sclopetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ45 View Post
I have noticed that a lot of shooters build their own "ARs"

My question is a simple one....How long would it take to build an "AR" if you had all the required parts and tools in front of you?
Why?

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
Old November 14, 2018, 02:07 PM   #36
kymasabe

The question I have after reading some of the responses is...how many of us have AR dedicated tools? I have a separate small tool box with my armorers tools, crows foot wrenches, pin punches, dimpling jig, etc.
I HAVE to keep building to justify the tool purchases.
Old November 14, 2018, 03:50 PM   #37
rickyrick

I don’t have and special tool storage for AR tools as most of them are just part of my
Regular tools.
I do have an AR wrench, but didn’t need it, it came with another purchase. I also have a reciever lapping tool. That’s the only AR specific tools I have
Old November 14, 2018, 07:33 PM   #38
FrankenMauser

I have an "AR tools" storage box that lives where I keep gun parts and project boxes (the collection[s] of new, old, used, modified, and/or broken small parts and sights/rings/bases for any given project gun).
Other tools get used far more often, so I keep the AR tools out of the way.

I feel that I've gotten my money's worth out of them. No need to keep building, 'just to pay them off.' ...But I do have them. So, there isn't much point in letting them go to waste, either.
Old November 15, 2018, 02:54 AM   #39
Metal god

Wow I've put together several and don't think I could come close to a 30min build . From stripped upper and lower maybe an hour if everything is laid out and ready like this .

Just getting that laid out took 15min+ . I mean I could do it in 30min if I just through it together as fast as I could with out function checks at every turn . Doing it right , cleaning and lubing parts before install , checking holes for burs if need be etc takes time . I think an hour would work but think the above build took 1.5 hours at a nice cool pace start to finish .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .