The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 8, 2006, 07:35 PM   #1
chewycat

skeet shooting

I just started shooting sporting clays and skeet last year. I have been using my Bennili Nova. I would like to buy a over an under, I have looked at the Stoeger Condor and the Remington Spartan. They are the only thing I can find in my price range. Does anyone have any feedback?
Old February 8, 2006, 08:06 PM   #2
News Shooter

I hope nobody minds

if I refer you here

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php

Lots of good opinions here on shotguns. One thing. Don't let anyone dog you about how much you have to spend. There are plenty of good shotguns in your price range that will get the job done
GOod luck!
Old February 9, 2006, 10:11 AM   #3
Ruger4570

I personally don't have either of the guns you mentioned, but I have seen many Huglu, Spartan and CZ shotguns at the range. I haven't heard anyone complaining about their functioning so I would assume they go bang when the trigger is pulled. I do notice that the fit and finish is not up to the quality of many of the more popular Brownings, Berreta and Kreigoff et.al.. My suggestion would be to look around and see if you can find a good used Browning that is in good shape. You should be able to find one that is in the price range of your budget. My reason is that the Spartans etc are more for hunters which will not shoot as many shells in years as a skeet shooter will in a couple of weeks. From what I can tell, the Jury is still out on the longevity of some of these models. Of course what you do is certainly YOUR choice, I just thought a suggestion on a used gun might be appropriate. Best of luck with your purchase
Old February 9, 2006, 12:09 PM   #4
chewycat

Skeet Shooter

Thanks Ruger, I am just starting to look. I will explore the options of a used gun. Thanks for the advice.