The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2011, 06:58 AM   #1
Flipper 56

New MEC Reloader

Is reloading your 12 gauge shotshells still cheaper than buying ready made?
Old January 25, 2011, 08:47 AM   #2
FlyFish

I haven't done any shotshell reloading in a few years, but my friends who shoot a lot of shotgun tell me that factory is usually cheaper if you watch for sales and/or buy in quantity. The primary problem seems to be the price of shot.
Old January 25, 2011, 12:11 PM   #3
Tanker6

I've recently acquired an old MEC that I'm fixing up to reload shotgun. I've done the math and find that I can reload shotgun for about half of what I can buy it for at the store. The pay-back is not as quick if you're dropping a load on a new loader, but I got the reloader for free and I'll need to spend $100 or so to get it working again, so it's probably worth it.

I just started shooting SASS with my daughter so we'll shoot at least 5-6 boxes a month (125-150 rounds), so that's the numbers I used when determining whether it was economically feasible for me to reload shotgun. Store bought is costing me $7.50-8.50 a box, so there you have it.

Good luck!
Old January 25, 2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Nevmavrick

Reloading is almost always cheaper, as the assembly costs are discounted. If you count your labor, the casts go up and easily catch factory.
Call it a hobby, and it's a LOT cheaper.
Also, you don't have to get cases every time, as with factory.
You'll save more, but you'll have buy more and more bulk..whether it's shot, bullets, powder, or primers.
I used to reload so I could shoot...Now I shoot so I can reload!
Gene
Old January 25, 2011, 07:21 PM   #5
BigJimP

Yes, 12ga shotshells are cheaper if you reload .... my 12ga reloads are costing me about $ 3.50 a box with current component pricing. Plus when you reload / you get a better quality shell than the cheap promo shells - you are reloading a shell equivalent with a premium shell like Remington STS that retails for close to $ 10 for a box of 25.

But I'd reload even if the cost was a push / because I want to tailor my shells to what I need .....pellet size, the velocity I want ...or for some of the grandkids, etc...

Time isn't a factor if you're using a progressive press. All of my presses ( and I reload 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410 and getting 20 boxes an hour off of my presses is no big deal.

I went to my gun club today - and fired 4 boxes of 20ga .... and less than 15 min on my loader will refill all 100 shells ...and put them back on the shelf ...
( I use Mec 9000 HN's / but even their mid grade machine, the Grabber - will easily do 10 boxes an hour even having to manually index it.)
Old January 26, 2011, 03:40 AM   #6
Flipper 56

Thanks for imput gentleman. A local store wanted $70 for a bag of shot the other day. I have gotten some great handguns from him including a recent S&W 1o66 that is in mint condition for $600. So he is not known as a shakedown artist.............I reload handgun ammo and usually save quite a few sheckles$$$$$$$$$$ I'll have to get on line and look for more inexpensive shot as some of those Promo Loads make me look bad
Old January 26, 2011, 08:40 AM   #7
reloader28

$70 a bag!! WOW
Your not going to save any money with that.
We get it for $40/25# bag here and that is not really saving anything for trap/light game loads. Just a little bit.
If your loading hunting loads than you save quite a bit of money.
My uncle belongs to a gun club where we can get shot for $25/25# bag and that helps a bunch.
Make sure you load 1 once loads instead of the normal 1 1/8 for 12 gauge and that makes a difference too.
Old January 26, 2011, 01:56 PM   #8
BigJimP

My current cost, at my club, for Northwest Shot in 25 lb bags is $ 25.50 per bag ( you can reclaimed shot for $ 20 a bag ) ....

paying $ 70 a bag is absurd ....

Talk to some of the guys at your local club / go together and buy a ton of shot ( its only 80 bags ) ... and you only get 400 shells ( if you load 1 oz of shot ) to a 25 lb bag .... or 16 boxes .... and a lot of shooters go thru a couple of bags a month or more ...
Old January 26, 2011, 01:58 PM   #9
BigJimP

Even at $ 40 for a bag --- it'll raise your cost on reloads to about $ 4.50 a box ....and that is still a savings ....but that's kind of the threshhold where it doesn't make a lot of sense ...
Old January 27, 2011, 01:48 AM   #10
700cdl

It is deffinitely less expensive if you use reclaimed shot, which is what I use. But if your buying new shot and getting a great deal on it, you'll only get a slight edge on fatcory, if any. I get reclaimed that is really clean and well sized for $10 per 25 lbs.. I have to provide my own container though, like that bothers me.
Old January 27, 2011, 02:32 AM   #11
hk33ka1

I live about 120 miles from a place that makes shot and their bags of 25lbs are $40-50 at local shops now. I'm going to have to make a call and mybe a trip there to see if the price is lower for the public for a large pick up order.