The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2009, 03:03 PM   #1
cva54

7mm reloading

Just getting in to it. Have been reading for a well over a 2 years now books and net. Press kit is on the way only got $40.00 to go getting the rock chucker kit Going to do .06 to. Qusetion I got is the 7mm yes the round is over kill for the state i'm in MN 200 yards is hard to find. Looking at the Sierra game king 175 gr SBT or what do you all think a round nose somthing heaver if thay make it?
Old December 12, 2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

What are you going to shoot with it? If it's deer and that's a 7 mm Rem Mag, 7 mm Weatherby, 7 mm RUM, 7 mm STW, 7 mm WSM, or the like, then it's a recipe for bloodshot meat with expanding bullets at close range. There, your idea of the round nose is reasonable and will cut meat loss, unless you load down. If its' a 7mm-08 or 7x57, etcetera, then the more common hunting bullets are candidates.

Most of the bullet makers have toll-free 800 numbers and you can call and ask what range of impact velocities they recommend for their different bullets?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 12, 2009, 05:32 PM   #3
GeauxTide

Yep, I need an interpretation of the question. What caliber? I'm with Unc on 200 yards shots for blowed up.
Old December 13, 2009, 04:33 PM   #4
James R. Burke

Myself also on the caliber.
Old December 14, 2009, 03:42 PM   #5
Scorch

Quote:
Qusetion I got is the 7mm yes the round is over kill for the state i'm in MN 200 yards is hard to find.
Methinks it mayhaps be the 7mm Remington Magnum. I think waaaaay too many people mistakenly believe that "7mm" means 7mm Rem Mag.
Old December 14, 2009, 04:01 PM   #6
Shoney

cva54

You gave us the caliber, i.e. 7mm, but into which cartridge are you reloading that 7mm bullet???
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 14, 2009, 04:19 PM   #7
NWPilgrim

Since you state that the 7mm is overkill for MN I am assuming it is a magnum of some sort (not the 7mm-08 or 7x57, etc.).

You don't have to load any cartridge to max pressure and velocity. If you already own the 7mm mag and want to use it for deer then you could down load it to .280 Rem velocities and have a fine close-in deer load. You will save on powder, too.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old December 14, 2009, 06:19 PM   #8
flarson

7mm reloading

I suppose you may be referring to the 7mm mag. Caught my eye because my favorite deer rifle here in WI is the 7mm, 280 Rem. Remington decided to stop producing it in 1964. With my reloads and bullet selection, good to 400 yards. Velocity of a round is related to expected maximum range of your game. Effectiveness of your cartridge is related to velocity and the bullet you choose to reload. I have used the Nosler Partition 140 grain for 20 to 30 years. My longest one shot was 350 yards. My closest one shot was 20 feet. Neither shot did not waste meat.
Old December 14, 2009, 07:23 PM   #9
James R. Burke

I also have to say I really like the Nosler Partition. I use it in several rifles, and always very accurate, and great results. But I also have to say there are a few real good one's out there I am sure you will be hearing about.
Old January 5, 2010, 07:49 PM   #10
preventec47

Last year I lightened up and went with the Pro Hunter 120 gr
for deer and it worked great but this year I am continuing lighter
and switching to Barnes tipped TSX of 110 grains for the 7mm Rem Mag.
Man, you only need 175 grains if you are shooting Grizzles and Polar Bears !
WHY punish your shoulder.
Old January 5, 2010, 08:04 PM   #11
DiscoRacing

i have some loaded with 140gr hornady... dont think I have a need for any heavier bullet in that caliber.
Old January 5, 2010, 08:06 PM   #12
ojibweindian

Blood-shot meat is not an issue with the 7mm Rem Mag if you place the bullet in the ribs. Or, you can download the cartridge to approximate .280 Remington ballistics.