The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 30, 2020, 10:18 AM   #1
the45er

Something important to think about

By shear chance I came across a book on my Kindle entitled Violence of Mind by a guy named Varg Freeborn. I downloaded the sample and was immediately hooked on the book and am reading it now.

The author has already covered many things about violent confrontations and managing them but one thing I just read last night needs to be shared with all of you that surf the net on gun forums, FB and other social media outlets.

99.99% of you guys, I'm sure, never want to have to use your weapon on another human being. I sure pray that I never have to do that, but I'm a concealed carry licensee and as I get older, am glad I have the ability to protect my life and health. However, like many of you I'm sure, I have been guilty of commenting on the net regarding how some bad guy deserved what he got in a robbery or how I'd "kill anyone who came into my house with malintent". The author certainly woke me up as to how stupid and dangerous such "tough guy" language is and how it could definitely be used against you even in a situation where you defended yourself and were 100% justified in doing so!

My internet couch "tough guy" language is definitely over. I hope book endorsements aren't disallowed on this forum and I apologize if I broke some rule, but this book is definitely worth the read.

Have a great day!
Old April 30, 2020, 03:43 PM   #2
ATN082268

I'm sure if someone's case goes to trial, the prosecutor will try and make them out to be a foaming at the mouth, jack the ripper type personality. I've always heard that things posted on the internet are eternal
Old April 30, 2020, 05:58 PM   #3
Mike38

One has to ask, is there a documented court case where a person was solely convicted on, or the penalty resulting from conviction was made harsher simply because of something the defendant wrote on an internet forum? I doubt there is.

This is somewhat similar to people claiming you should never use reloaded ammo in a self defense situation because a prosecutor will claim your hand made ammunition was made "hot" with the sole intent to kill. As far as I know, there is no court case proving that either.

But I'm not a prosecutor, not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV.

I'll just close with this:

Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in at night and is struck a fatal blow, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed."

Last edited by Mike38; April 30, 2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old April 30, 2020, 06:27 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Given the parameters of L&CR, this one's off to a terrible start & only promises to go downhill. We're 3 posts in and I spotted at least 2 red herrings, but not a single statute or legal principle.