The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 28, 2017, 08:25 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Where To Find S&W Model 10 Springs?

I've got a model 10-7 that will have a light strike every once in a while and I want to give it to my sister for a home defense gun, so, I'll have to change that. I checked to see if the strain screw was backed out and it wasn't, so, I think I'll replace the mainspring. My question is are there any other springs I should change along with the mainspring and what brand should I get and where should I get them?
Old August 28, 2017, 08:31 PM   #2
dahermit

Wolf and Brownell's.
Old August 28, 2017, 08:33 PM   #3
Joe_Pike

Brownell's didn't have any in stock.
Old August 28, 2017, 08:52 PM   #4
44caliberkid

www.midwayusa.com
Old August 28, 2017, 09:03 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Leave the other springs alone.
Old August 28, 2017, 11:06 PM   #6
BigJimP

Brownells has the K frame kits in stock....just use mainspring & hold rebound springs if you need them ( but I would not mess with rebound spring)...
Old August 28, 2017, 11:30 PM   #7
pete950

Go direct to Wolff!!
Old August 29, 2017, 03:14 AM   #8
JAREDSHS

also check to see that the strain screw has not been shortened.
Old August 29, 2017, 07:35 AM   #9
FITASC

Is that light strike every once in a while only from one type of ammo? If so, have you tried others? Some brands are known for those issues cropping up now and again. Does it happen ion both SA mode and DA mode? Find the cause before you go spend money changing things that might not have anything to do with the issue. No need to amputate the leg when the patient needs a kidney transplant........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 29, 2017, 12:30 PM   #10
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs
Leave the other springs alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimP
I would not mess with rebound spring
eh…not so sure about this, IMO.

If the M10 in question is light-striking because it was tweaked, chances are even that the rebound spring was swapped as part of that tweaking. Installing a relatively heavy stock mainspring while leaving a relatively light rebound spring can lead to trigger return issues.

The easiest way to check is with a trigger pull gauge - the DA:SA pull weight ratio should be in the area of 2.5-3:1 (I call it 2.8:1). If the ratio is on, but the DA weight is low (under, say 10 lbs), it's likely the rebound spring was swapped for a lighter one as well.

To get the gun back to stock, then, install the correct rebound spring first, and verify the SA pull is now about 4 lbs. Then install the main and verify the DA pull is 10-12 lbs.
Old August 29, 2017, 12:52 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

Something no one has thought of:
The strain screw might have been shortened. If so, all the spring changing in the world won't make a difference (unless you go to a much heavier spring.)
Old August 29, 2017, 01:01 PM   #12
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs
Something no one has thought of:
The strain screw might have been shortened.
No one except JAREDSHS :

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAREDSHS
also check to see that the strain screw has not been shortened.
Old August 29, 2017, 02:38 PM   #13
Joe_Pike

The strain screw looks like it is okay to me. I was wanting to go ahead and replace the rebound spring and mainspring with factory weight parts. A factory weight mainspring seems easy enough to find, but from what I can find the rebound spring is 18 pounds form the factory and I can't seem to find that.
Old August 29, 2017, 03:02 PM   #14
MrBorland

The single action trigger really only pulls against the rebound slide, so if you've got (or have access to) a trigger pull gauge, check the SA pull weight - if it's about 4 lbs, you won't have to replace the rebound spring.

If you do need the factory replacement rebound spring, it looks like the main and rebound springs are in stock at Numrich:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/320270A
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/315490C
Old August 29, 2017, 03:44 PM   #15
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Pike
The strain screw looks like it is okay to me.
Does the end show original finish?
Old August 30, 2017, 12:37 AM   #16
Bill DeShivs

I missed that, and assumed it said "loosened" instead of "shortened."
Old August 30, 2017, 11:22 AM   #17
straightshooterjake

I would like to respectfully suggest that this gun should be serviced by an expert. I say this for the following reasons:
  • This is a quality firearm which is not currently working correctly.
  • The firearm will be used for defensive purposes, so reliability is the most important factor.
  • Revolver springs are not as simple as they seem.

Probably the most common cause of light strikes is someone "tuning" the double action trigger pull by lightening the springs. However, there are a variety of mechanical problems which can also cause light stikes. Most of the time these mechanical problems can be overcome by a heavy mainspring, but not always.

So if this revolver will be used for defensive purposes, I would recommend that all the mechanical aspects of the revolver including the springs should be examined and given a clean bill of health. Most of the time these checks will need to be done by a gunsmith, but there arew some experienced revolver owners who can do a proper mechanincal checkup at the "kitchen table." However, the people who can do this work will invariable have the following items on hand: an accurate trigger scale, gunsmith screwdrivers that fit the revolver, feeler gauges and knowledge how to use them, spare revolver springs. If no close friends have all of these things, then a gunsmith is the best choice.

If you are interested to know more about revolver springs and triggers, I have written a long article on the subject. This article has a subsection discussing many of the possible causes of light strikes.

The article is here:

Improving the trigger on Smith & Wesson Revolvers

And it is also discussed in this thread:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=584772

Good luck with your model 10. They are great guns, and when you get it properly sorted, it will serve you and your sister well.
Old August 31, 2017, 08:40 PM   #18
dahermit

Quote:
I would like to respectfully suggest that this gun should be serviced by an expert.
In all the years I have messed with S&W guns, I have never found one of those. They seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth.