The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 3, 2010, 03:23 PM   #1
DRL1187

Loctite Alternative

Hello,

I am mounting a scope on my new rifle and I want to put something on the screws to keep them secure but I don't want to use Loctite. Is there another altnerative?

Thanks

DRL
Old September 3, 2010, 04:39 PM   #2
smoakingun

tignten them with a screwdriver, keep a screwdriver in your case so they can be tightened before you head out and if they shoot loose
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old September 3, 2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Jim Watson

What's wrong with one of the milder grades of Loctite?

My neighbor the gunsmith had a glob of raw linseed oil on his bench that he secured screws with.

Fingernail polish?

What is your objective for a different thread seal?
Old September 3, 2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Straightshooter629

There are different strengths of Loctite. The one you use depends on the degree of hold you need.
Old September 3, 2010, 07:05 PM   #5
dahermit

Before Loctite, in the "olden days", we put a little finger nail polish on the treads. It worked well.
Old September 3, 2010, 07:55 PM   #6
Stumper

Fingernail polish, varnish, lacquer, Superglue.....Why don't you wish to use Loctite?

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old September 3, 2010, 08:01 PM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Loctite - 242 Blue, not to be confused with the industrial strength glues or the red loctites. Best friend a gunner ever had besides a good bore solvent and a good lube. Use it and be not afraid, available at any hardware store.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 3, 2010, 08:02 PM   #8
hooligan1

I have always used the blue locktite, for my .270 win, 3006, 7mm rem mag, and I do not have any issues with a scope being "bumped off" or loosing a zero. The yellow is the light hold, the blue is moderate, and the red is hard as hell to unscrew, I'd call that heavy hold. hold on didn't you post this very same thread in Art Of The Rifle??? DejaVue, wow.
Old September 3, 2010, 08:13 PM   #9
Stumper

As others have said Loctite blue is the proper stuff-Hooligan , if you think Red is tough meet Loctite Purple.........remove with a torch or by machining!

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old September 3, 2010, 08:31 PM   #10
hooligan1

Locktite PURPLE,??? What next? Locktite JB WELD??? and thank god I never got ahold of that stuff, hehehe
Old September 3, 2010, 10:07 PM   #11
Clemson

You don't need loctite on scope mount screws, nor do you need to muscle them in. Just screw them home firmly with the provided allen wrench, torx wrench, or a screwdriver. A bit of oil on the threads will prevent galling and will allow you to remove the scope or mount when you want to.

Bill Jacobs
[email protected]
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old September 3, 2010, 10:13 PM   #12
Jimmy10mm

I've used the blue loctite for various applications. Also "hard as nails' polish that is supposedly stronger than ordinary fingernail polish. In either case they assisted in holding the screws securely but allowed removal if it was necessary.
Old September 3, 2010, 10:28 PM   #13
Jim Watson

Purple Loctite I have seen was very mild for small screws, as in typewriters.

Now the green stuff...
Old September 3, 2010, 10:39 PM   #14
10-96

Not too far off topic- but of interesting note... the Gun Smith I apprenticed under told me that some of the wartime Mauser building countries used iodine on bbl threads to lock (rust) together the bbls and receivers. I could see that happening with the need for something cheap, quick, and low cost. And, I'm sure that some of those factories didn't always have the luxury of taking the time to cut threads to the standards they would have in peace time. And, it esplains why I've seen some pretty dirty/rusted barrel shanks once they've been pulled.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 4, 2010, 01:24 AM   #15
ragwd

I used blued worked for me