The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old October 24, 2007, 09:06 AM   #76
rezmedic54

NiCS

I have a customer that just went thru this he found out that someone had stole his Identity. Turned out to be quite a mess. The way he found out was he was denied a CCW permit and when he contacted the FBI which was what he was instructed to do is how he found it. This turned out to be done way back in 1977. Sounds like the same thing possibly just happened to you.
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com
Old October 24, 2007, 11:18 AM   #77
nobius

Possible Mistaken Ident / Stolen Ident

First and foremost: NO!! I do not have anything even remotely resembling a domestic violence conviction. The OP may have, I do not know. I resurrected this thread instead of starting a new one, maybe that wasn't the best of ideas.

As far as the mistaken / stolen identity thing, that is what I am leaning towards right now. I have a fairly common name, as well as being a "Jr". I have had a drivers license renewal held up in the past when my father's record got tied to mine somehow and set everything all sideways and upside down.

I just returned from mailing my fingerprints along with a notorized copy of my DL and SS card to the FBI, hopefully this will clear things up.

I will post updates as I get them.

"I aim to misbehave" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
Old October 26, 2007, 10:15 PM   #78
kermit315

is it just me, or have their been alot of denials lately? I think I read about 2 on THR earlier, now this.
Walther P22
Old October 27, 2007, 03:08 AM   #79
SpectreBlofeld

Nobius, I had a very similar experience. I was denied purchase the first time I bought a firearm. Immediately filed an appeal and was no longer denied. Turns out a sex offender in another state had the same name as me (I opted not to put my SS# on the application). Apparently that's all it takes for an initial denial.

So if you ever get denied, try the appeal process.
Old October 27, 2007, 05:01 AM   #80
Eghad

A co-workers mom answered the door one day to find two police officers outside it with an arrest warrant. She was arrested and taken to jail. The only problem is when she was booked in is that she was white and the person in the warrant was black with a different physical description. Turns out it was identity theft.

My wife went to renew her drivers liscense and found out that she had an arrest warrant out. After researching it the clerk that input the original stuff had committed a data entry error.

So mistakes do happen.

NRA Life Member
Old October 27, 2007, 11:08 AM   #81
gvf

Ny State Listens

Well, NY State apparently listens to you: I talked to someone who applied for handgun target permit. In our state, if it's not a CCW application - and his wasn't - once a certain point in the process is reached, you get the permit without a Judicial Interview. Otherwise, the last stage is an interview with either a State Supreme Court Judge, or - as in my county - his clerk. So, the guy had had some sort of conviction, and I think it was a felony though not absolutely sure. AND he did not reveal it on the application. SO, he had to go thru the stage of the interview. Whatever the specifics were, he explained them to the judge and: he got his permit!
Old October 27, 2007, 11:19 AM   #82
gvf

New York State Listens

Well, NY State apparently listens to you: I talked to someone who applied for handgun target permit. In our state, if it's not a CCW application - and his wasn't - once a certain point in the process is reached, you get the permit without a Judicial Interview. Otherwise, the last stage is an interview with either a State Supreme Court Judge, or - as in my county - his clerk. So, the guy had had some sort of conviction, and I think it was a felony though not absolutely sure. AND he did not reveal it on the application. Technically he lied. SO, he had to go thru the stage of the interview. Whatever the specifics were, he explained them to the judge and: he got his permit!

I know this is not the exact circumstances of the poster's situation. But if he approaches officials in his own area he may find they are friendly and may be able to advise him. There is a lot knee-jerk hostility here towards officials. It is not necessarily justified.

When I applied for my CCW, every single official I dealt with - and in my state it's a lot of them - was very helpful and obviously wanted me to have a successful permit process.

Last edited by gvf; October 27, 2007 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old October 27, 2007, 12:41 PM   #83
The Tourist

Before this debate descends any farther, are we sure this isn't simply a case of semantics?

I mean, was the original poster denied, or has he misread the answer, that being delayed?

On paper, I'm squeaky clean. And yet periodically, especially when I buy a rifle, I get delayed. On one occasion I went the entire week with no answer.

Now, you would assume, and never assume, that if I am periodically delayed over a rifle I would most assuredly be delayed on purchasing a handgun. And yet, I never am.

A few weeks ago I bought another pistol, no prob.
Old November 9, 2007, 10:23 AM   #84
Yudabsha

Branded a FELON due to a computer error.

In September I recieved a denial from the NICS and after several attempts to get the NICS to tell me the basis of the denial I went to my local PD and requested my criminal record. There in big letters were the words CONVICTED FELON!!!!!. Also on the sheet was a false record of a felony conviction and time served in jail in the City of Atlanta. I have never served time in jail. The City of Atlanta quickly informed me that felonies are prosecuted in State Court and that I should call the GBI. It turns out that the GBI got a new computer system and they are having problems with it misunderstanding data from the old system. The new system changed a misdemeanor solicitng a prostitute charge from the 90s into a violent felony conviction. they fixed the problem in 7 days. Ran a new criminal record and everything looked great. Submitted my fingerprints and appeal. Now 30 days later I'm still waiting for the FBI to get its act together. What are we paying these guys for?
Old November 10, 2007, 03:59 PM   #85
chris112

I was checking id's for a certain motorcycle manufacturor's convention and it was quite common for names to come up not current when they really were. It was also very annoying.
Old November 11, 2007, 07:58 PM   #86
big_jack11

You have to be hiding something, because Wal-Mart is as thorough with their background checks as with any other gun store.
Old November 26, 2007, 12:39 AM   #87
electrikn

Denied firearms purchase for 4 and a half months, then they said it's OK

#1 I tried to purchase a 30/30 at Wal-Mart in Texas while a Texas resident back in 1999 or 2000 and they said there was a hold by the feds. I left the store and called my friend about hunting and he said I didn't need a gun just come on out and he'd put me in a stand with a rifle. My phone had another call coming in and it was Wal-Mart saying that I could return for my purchase because the hold was dropped. I didn't go buy it!
#2 I bought and paid for two guns at a pawn shop in Spring Texas in 2001 (a Winchester Model 1894/1994 edition and a Mossberg Pump 12 Ga) for $250 from a store clerk again there was a fed hold on my purchase. The manager came back to work and saw the clerk had sold them to me for $250 and she refused to let me have them because of the fed hold. I went into the store for 4 months and they never dropped the hold, so I gave in and asked for my money back. (It made the manager very happy!) In about 2 or 3 weeks I get a letter from the feds saying I could purchase the guns! (Too Late!)
#3 I went to Wal-Mart in Deslodge Missouri (where I reside now) to purchase a rifle on Thanksgiving Day 2007 and yep, you got it! They have a federal hold on my purchase! I am really tired of this infringement on my 2nd amendment right! What can I do about this injustice practice? I heard that if you have ever been held up by the feds, they will always put you on hold to purchase firearms, does anyone know the truth? Very displeased to say the least. Sincerely, jerry b baker <><
PS Can anyone tell me of any recourse to get hold lifted since they held my last purchase up for so long? Thanks

Last edited by electrikn; November 26, 2007 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Need to ask for advice
Old November 26, 2007, 09:10 AM   #88
rezmedic54

Purchase

Call the local ATF office ask them what form you need to fill out. Download it from the web and send it in. What this form does is kind of bypasses the Back round check I forget what the name of the form is but after they send it back you will need to have it with you when you buy a firearm. They will have a number on it that goes on the 4473 when they call it in. If there is a problem sounds like the same one my friend had ready my first post.
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com
Old November 26, 2007, 09:54 AM   #89
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think that electrikn had taken the trouble to read through this thread. If he had, his question would have been answered.
Old November 26, 2007, 10:17 AM   #90
[email protected]

They may have put your information in computer wrong. If the deny is based on your name, it may look like someone elses name. If it is based on your social security number, and you see no reason for denial, you should appeal it then you would find out what is going on.

You said you got into fights when you were "younger". Was that 20 years ago or two years ago? Too many "little" fights could add up to maybe being red flagged as having a uncontrolled temper.
Old November 26, 2007, 02:04 PM   #91
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I had one purchase delayed for further investigation but since bought 2 more firearms without delay.
Brent
Old November 29, 2007, 06:16 PM   #92
electrikn

Many post say there must be a felony record or domestic problems

They took almost 5 months to release the hold on my purchase as I told the story in my first post and then didn't even give an answer for the delay! I have no problems in my background except that my name is very comon it's Jerry Baker! It is an unjust balance!
Old November 29, 2007, 06:23 PM   #93
Yellowfin

Start going by your middle name?