The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 29, 2010, 06:24 AM   #1
AlonzoMosely

Fitting a Hi-Power sear

I got the Cylinder & Slide commander-style hammer and CNC sear for my Mark III BHP. When I install the new sear, the safety cannot be engaged. The safety is blocked from moving up behind the sear and locking it in place. I assume that the sear is intentionally over-sized to allow for fitting, but it is not obvious to me where I should stone the lower right 'extension' of the sear that contacts the safety. Thanks for any help. (And, lest anyone is concerned, this is not a carry or self-defense gun, I got it purely for tinkering to learn how the BHP works.)
Old August 29, 2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

In the 1911 new thumb safeties always have to be stoned down to tuck in behind the sear foot. I assume the same is so with the BHP, though I've never had to work on one. Compare your new sear with the old one to see the differences. You may have thicker feet or a longer nose on the new sear, ether one of which can result in the rear surface of the feet parking further to the rear. If your new hammer's hook flat is at a slightly longer radius from the hammer pin than the original, that would do it too. In any event, whittling the thumb safety extension where it is supposed to block the sear is likely to be the easiest route to function.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 29, 2010, 05:38 PM   #3
AlonzoMosely

Thanks Unclenick. It's not the hammer, because when I put the old sear in with the new hammer, the safety functions. I tried comparing the old sear with the new sear, and I'm having a very hard time discerning where the difference is because the old sear is cast and has curves where the new sear has sharp angles, so it is not really an apples to apples comparison in finding the difference that affects safety engagement. I basically just don't know where to whittle on the new sear and thought I would inquire before doing much experimenting on it.
Old August 31, 2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

You may be able to see where the safety blocks the sear by leaving the hammer out and just pushing the sear to normal cocked position with a stick and operating the safety. At that point you whittle either the sear of the safety where they meet.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle