The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 30, 2010, 01:22 PM   #1
bob4prez

question about handguns

I am 18 years of age and own a few hand guns my question is i know you cant buy a handgun or ammo from an ffl dealer but can you trade in a hand gun you bought in from private sale to a dealer for a diffrent hand gun. thanks
Old March 30, 2010, 02:09 PM   #2
RickB

Where I live, I don't think it's legal for minors to "possess" a handgun, so you can't buy, sell, trade, transport, carry, etc. Any transfer performed by a FFL, including a trade, would require a NICS check, and I assume you woudn't be approved because you're not 21.
EDIT: from a "gun control policy" website:
Under federal law, minors under 18 are prohibited from possessing guns and minor under 21 are prohibited from purchasing guns from dealers. However, unless regulated by state law, minors 18 and over are able to freely purchase weapons through private sales. Currently 21 states either prohibit or substantially regulate this secondary market for minors.

Last edited by RickB; March 30, 2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old March 30, 2010, 02:10 PM   #3
Gregory Gauvin

Ahem...I believe the ATF checks forums like these.
Old March 30, 2010, 02:13 PM   #4
ReNtaPiG

Wow dude...sounds to me like you need to go ask the guy behind the counter at that FFL dealer that you can't buy guns from LOL

Listen I'm not very good at hiding my sarcasm so I'll just try my best to not sound like an ass.... most states have laws against 18yr olds owning firearms..I mean seriously thank god I was not allowed at 18 to own or possess a firearm...the adolescent male brain is not that "intact" if you will.

What you need to do is check with a rep of your local gun store >>OR<< since you obviously have internet access is check your state and/or local gun ordinances to first see if your legally allowed to own anything...once you figure that part out the rest is simple.

For starters EVERY gun store is a FFL dealer unless they're operating illegally and on the BATFE's raid list...so if you can't purchase guns from an FFL dealer than where else are you going to buy them??? black market underground???

secondly most gun stores take trades but not all, now the very definition of a trade is you bring in a gun and you pay the difference for a different gun (very rarely trading a gun with a higher value for one of a lower value)
Old March 30, 2010, 02:33 PM   #5
espnazi

There is nothing illegal about owning handguns at 18 ( in most states)!

What you cant do is buy one from an FFL, so I would guess even trading in your handgun for a another one is not possible since you would still need to fill out the paperwork for the new gun.

The way to go is a Private sale which is completely legal. you can also post in the classifieds section of this forum and see if there are any locals willing to make a trade.
Old March 30, 2010, 02:40 PM   #6
greyson97

in the same vein, you shouldnt have sex under the age of 21 either.

bullet wounds heal. there still isnt a cure for teenage pregnancy

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old March 30, 2010, 03:48 PM   #7
ReNtaPiG

Quote:
Federal law imposes the following restrictions aimed at younger persons:

A person must be 21 years of age to purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition, and 18 years of age to buy a rifle or shotgun or ammunition, from a retail firearm dealer. (GCA, 1968)

A person under age 18 may not possess a handgun or handgun ammunition, and it is illegal for a person to provide a handgun or handgun ammunition to a person under age 18, except for target shooting, hunting, or certain other exempted purposes. (Youth Handgun Safety Act, 1994) ***

*** = http://www.nraila.org/Issues/factsheets/read.aspx?ID=43

Soooooooooo...by reading this according to Federal law you CAN NOT buy a handgun under 21 and although it does not state "owning"...it would be safe to assume any 18,19,20yr old would be arrested if caught with a handgun even if he/she "bought" the firearm privately.

I don't feel comfortable with young men under 21 owning handguns with one exception...active military

Last edited by ReNtaPiG; March 30, 2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old March 30, 2010, 03:56 PM   #8
spacecoast

Quote:
it would be safe to assume any 18,19,20yr old would be arrested if caught with a handgun
Military members exempted, I presume... ?
Old March 30, 2010, 04:04 PM   #9
CWPinSC

Quote:
If you are over 18, you may possess and own a handgun. You may not BUY one. When our daughter turned 18, my wife and I presented her with Mil-Pro 138 as a birthday gift. My name is on the 4473. Perfectly legal.
Old March 30, 2010, 04:10 PM   #10
ReNtaPiG

Quote:
Military members exempted, I presume... ?
Some states have statutes exempting active military

Quote:
When our daughter turned 18, my wife and I presented her with Mil-Pro 138 as a birthday gift. My name is on the 4473. Perfectly legal.
I would trust an 18yr old female WAY faster than an 18yr old male

Tags
21 yoa , hand gun