The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 8, 2001, 09:13 AM   #1
Jeff Thomas

Serial Numbers on Old Shotguns?

Harley et al, where do you find serial numbers on old shotguns? Saw a Mossberg 195K-A and a Stevens 311A ... couldn't figure out where they would hide the serial numbers. But, some old firearms (even 20th century) didn't have serial numbers, did they?

Thanks. Regards from AZ
I refuse to live in a state which fails to recognize my family's fundamental right of self defense. I refuse to give that state my labor, my taxes, or any other support for such an uncivilized and barbaric policy. In other words ... Texas, Yes ... California, No.
Old September 8, 2001, 09:58 AM   #2
clem

I believe that prior to the 1968 (?) gun controll act, certain low priced shotguns & 22 rifles didn't require a s/n. I have a old Fox double .410 shotgun and a JC Higgins .22 rifle that don't have any serial numbers on them.
Clem