The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 22, 2011, 07:16 PM   #1
baddarryl

Maybe going to my first match. Ammo question?

How many mags and ammo are needed for the typical IDPA match? What about Steel Challenge? Do novices typically use target loads or the better factory ammo? I will be entering the stock service pistol division with my Ruger P89 and 15 shot mags. Thank you.
Old July 22, 2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Marlin009

In the steel matches I shoot, there are 4 stages, 5 shot strings (assuming you don't miss), you get 5 runs at each stage. So, potentially you only need 100 rounds. I need more.

You need one mag for each time you shoot a string (5 in my case), I have a spare.

It's a blast and very addicting. Have fun.

Can't help with the IDPA.
Old July 22, 2011, 08:47 PM   #3
CatsEye

For IDPA you need a minimum of 3 magazines. You will carry two on your belt and have one to load the gun at the start of a stage. Most local IDPA matches are less than 100 rounds. By rule, stages can only be a maximum of 18 rounds but most are less than that. Most local matches are 5-6 stages per match which gives a max of 90-108 rounds. If your buying factory ammo then go for the cheapest you can get that fuctions well in your gun.
Old July 22, 2011, 09:58 PM   #4
baddarryl

So do I need a tactical belt to holster the gun and carry extra mags? Right now I have a simple clip on nylon holster that I have had for years just to keep it in. Or best to go and see what I need?
Old July 23, 2011, 12:04 PM   #5
SteelChickenShooter

In my case for IDPA three mags are an absolute minimum, but I typically load up and carry 5 or 6. I always have at least 3 boxes of 50 rounds on hand. In the case where we shoot a Steel & Paper Challenge, 8 mags are not too many and I bring 250 rounds. Clubs certainly can vary on numbers of stages and round counts. An ordinary Steel Challenge is not the same as a Steel & Paper Challenge. I've never shot a match limited to steel only.
Old July 23, 2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Marlin009

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddarryl

Or best to go and see what I need?
My local club has IDPA matches. I want to try it but will go check it out first.

I tried to do that with the steel but they talked me into shooting.

It's a little less involved though.
Old July 23, 2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

With a decent gun, target ammo - WWB, Blazer, PMC has worked for me.

Someone will post that Brand X, Y or Z stinks but the major target brands run for me. I look for sales.

Did have some trouble with Monarch Brass. But some like it.
Old July 23, 2011, 04:54 PM   #8
baddarryl

Thanks guys. My P89 will shoot anything so that answers that. What about carrying the extra mags? Is that necessary?

I am going to put off going until their next match next month as I need to get the extra mags and ammo not until after my kids' birthday next week. Maybe hit the upcoming Steel Challenge. Who knows, but I want to get into it!
Old July 23, 2011, 06:57 PM   #9
SteelChickenShooter

Mag Carry

There are different ways to carry mags depending on what you are shooting.
For IDPA, I carry a double pouch on the belt with one mag in the pocket then I use that mag to load the pistol. I have a vest with extra mags in a few pockets. For the Steel & Paper Challenge, I wear a belt with a pair of quad magazine pouches. I place 4 mags in each pouch. If I shoot USPSA type events, I wear a belt with 4 or 6 pouches depending on the stage design and round count for that match.
There is a magazine you can get named "Front Sight". And at the end of a season they list all the popular products. You can research this and see what brands and models most of the shooters use. You can also at least attend your first match and just look at what they use and talk to the people that are shooting.
Old July 23, 2011, 09:22 PM   #10
kraigwy

I'd recommend not buying anything, take what you have. The match will teach you what you need. Don't let people talk you into expensive guns and gear until you reach the point where you out shoot the one you have.

At every match, regardless of type, the other competitors and range staff will help out new shooters.

Ammo doesn't matter much as long as its reliable. But for steel matches take twice what you think you'll need. It wont spoil if you don't use it all.

I can guarantee three things are gonna happen:

1: You'll learn something
2: You'll have fun
3: You'll meet great people.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 25, 2011, 07:01 AM   #11
Don P

Quote:
So do I need a tactical belt to holster the gun and carry extra mags? Right now I have a simple clip on nylon holster that I have had for years just to keep it in. Or best to go and see what I need?
For IDPA you can lose the word "tactical" IDPA is geared and centers around everyday concealed carry.
You can use your clip on holster for your first match and put your magazines in your pants pocket. Shirt pocket is a no-no.
This will get you involved in your first match and from that experience you can decide what you need from what your fellow shooter are using.
The belt you choose will have to go through the belt loops of your pants.
A good sturdy gun belt for concealed carry will work. I personally use a kydex holster because I sweat real bad. Your magazine pouches must hold your magazines securely ( so they do not fall out ).
I wear 2 double magazine pouches because of sweating so bad I dare not put magazines in my pocket. You will only need 3 magazines for the match and its not a bad idea to have an extra magazine in case one of your match magazines should fail.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 27, 2011, 11:35 AM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

I'd mildly disagree that a new shooter should put magazines in the pocket. They can lose proper orientation and you have to fumble for them. That leads to wandering of attention - which leads to a lack of muzzle control. Seen it.

A belt magazine holder isn't that much and you can just reach back and keep the gun forward.
Old July 27, 2011, 06:13 PM   #13
Don P

Quote:
I'd mildly disagree that a new shooter should put magazines in the pocket
It was only a suggestion so he could give it a try/test the waters. It also gives him the opportunity to see what the other shooters are using. Like they say seeing is believing and most time the BEST teacher. I personally have seen 1/2 dozen folks shoot a first match this way. Just the least expensive way to give it a try.
Old July 27, 2011, 09:36 PM   #14
baddarryl

I got a double holder to slip on my belt for $26.00 and that's all for now until I check things out better. Now I can carry an extra in my holster and 2 more, plus the one for my gun makes 4. Thank gents.
Old July 28, 2011, 06:34 AM   #15
Don P

Quote:
Now I can carry an extra in my holster and 2 more, plus the one for my gun makes 4. Thank gents.
Good deal. All I will add to your statement is IDPA limit for magazines is a total of 3 on the belt. The extra magazine will have to stay in your range bag.
Only warning that I'll pass along is Competition shooting is ADDICTING!