The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 12, 2010, 03:21 AM   #1
GalilARM

5.56 vs Armadillo (GRAPHIC)

Went hunting for rabbit tonight, ended up finding this guy wandering through the field, 2 rounds of 55gr 5.56 impacted at the same time as one round of heavy birdshot. Im guessing the majority of the damage is from the 5.56

Needless to say he didnt make it too far

Old May 12, 2010, 04:03 AM   #2
bamaranger

blast'em

I hate the darn things. They will wreck a lawn, ball field, golf course, or anything else w/ turf, overnight. And there everywhere here, as prolific (you guys didn't think I knew such a word, huh?) as rabbits.

I hesitate to give my score, but I have shot a truckload. (check that, several truck loads) Usually w/ a .22.
But.......the best 'dillo disassembler I've seen is a 12 ga slug!.

"we must use the tools we have"......Abe Lincoln.
Old May 12, 2010, 07:00 AM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
And there everywhere here, as prolific (you guys didn't think I knew such a word, huh?) as rabbits.
Well, you used the word correctly, but used it in error. Armadillos most definitely are NOT as prolific as rabbits. Rabbits may reproduce several times per year (about 5 on average of 3-8 offspring per). Armadillos reproduce just once per year with a litter of 4 (usually).

While nobody likes their lawns torn up by them, in the wild, armadillos do an excellent job aerating the soil, eating bugs, and helping surface seeds to get planted.
Old May 12, 2010, 07:32 AM   #4
troy_mclure

in louisiana they carry leprosy, i would shoot but not touch.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 12, 2010, 02:36 PM   #5
bamaranger

thanks

the things you learn, and others know, on FTL.
Old May 14, 2010, 01:01 AM   #6
dla888

What kind of .223 are you shooting? It looks like a bullpup styled rifle.
Old May 14, 2010, 09:26 PM   #7
SavageSniper

Possum on the half shell
Old May 14, 2010, 09:37 PM   #8
ENC

You must have some big rabbits LOL.

Armadillos are the one thing around here that bother my dogs. They don't get a pass around here.

Evan
Old May 14, 2010, 09:41 PM   #9
attila787

Make sure you wash you hands those things can carry leprosy.
Old May 16, 2010, 10:57 AM   #10
TX Hunter

A .223 is a bit too much gun to hunt Rabbit with.
I eat Rabbit Meat, I use a .22 Rimfire when I am hunting them.
Old May 16, 2010, 01:19 PM   #11
GalilARM

Quote:
A .223 is a bit too much gun to hunt Rabbit with.
I eat Rabbit Meat, I use a .22 Rimfire when I am hunting them.

Typically we use .22 or shotguns with birdshot for the rabbits (As seen in the pic)

The F2000 only came out when it stopped being a rabbit hunt and became an armadillo hunt
Old May 16, 2010, 01:50 PM   #12
SCcdp

Man kill em all. They've gotten to be pretty prevalent here in SC as well. Just like a coyote they don't get a pass anywhere I hunt. Although a number of years back we caught one late one night and spray painted him that pink color they use to mark roads.

Probably not the most sportsmanly thing to do, but it was hilarious to hear the other club members talking about seeing a "pink" armadillo!
Old May 19, 2010, 03:14 PM   #13
HALIFAX

Ive takin trips to wyoming to shoot prarie dogs and jack rabbits. Jack rabbits are nasty lookin.
Old May 19, 2010, 07:04 PM   #14
Dust

How much, and how much does the f2K weigh?
Old May 20, 2010, 07:57 PM   #15
GalilARM

FS2000 MSRP is somewhere in the low 2000 dollar range. I found mine LNIB for 1600.

As for weight, I dont know exactly, but its definately heavier than an AR, but slightly lighter than the shotgun shown in the pics, if that helps
Old May 20, 2010, 08:41 PM   #16
Dust

I spent a few hours yesterday afternoon in the bullpup section of ar15, and want an E4 now. wait until te russian barrels come out
Old May 20, 2010, 08:45 PM   #17
GalilARM

I posted a very lengthy comparison of the E4 and the FS2000 over at arfcom but have since been banned, let me see if I can track it down.

In summary, I have shot both extensively and prefer the weight and price of the E4, but prefer the looks, ergos, and reliability of the FS2000.

The FS is more expensive, but not near at finicky as the E4 I shot. MSAR makes a great weapon, but the one that I personally shot was less than reliable.

ETA: Basically these were my findings-

The AUG Clone- If you want this gun, get the E4, not the STG model. The STG model uses mags that seem to be less reliable, whereas the E4 uses AR mags (PMags included). The gun is lighter, slimmer, and cheaper than the FS2000. It is slightly less complex internally, since it uses a more conventional ejection mechanism. However, the one I shot was inconsistent in its reliability. I shot about 350 rounds and it failed to eject about five times. Random ammo types, different mags, so it was just problematic, no direct cause. Many users on the other hand report flawless reliability after a "break in period". No offense to MSAR, but FN definately has a solid lineage of building quality weapons. MSAR is a newcomer.

The FS2000-Bulkier, more expensive, heavier than the AUG clone. Only uses metal AR mags, no polymers. Get the CProducts mags and youre fine. Fully ambidextrous without moving around of internals. More reliable with all types of ammo (no jams for me in a couple thousand rds) even with steel cased. I think the FS2000 looks better, but thats personal preference. The biggest downside to the FS is the inability to effectively mount a light on it without having to buy the expensive (160) trirail unit. However, without sounding like an ass, neither of these are budget weapons, so some expense comes with the territory.

My findings: both guns are sexy looking head turners at the range, but Id trust my life to the FS first. You can find a used one for not much more than the E4 sells for.

Last edited by GalilARM; May 20, 2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old May 27, 2010, 11:00 PM   #18
barnetmill

We certainly have them here in NW FL where I live. But for some reason they do not do well where I live. I have never killed one on my place that borders a creek bottom, but something or someone is doing them in. Thet show up and seem to disappear. At work the other day just to see I found out that I can out run them and I suspect with a club in an open area they could be beaten to death. I was told years ago that they are good eating if some sort of gland is removed. They also can be infected with leprosy. i have only killed one. I shot one once with a .38 spl +P load in St Tammany Parish once and it dropped instantly. I lent a colleague a pellet rifle to shoot the one that was ruining his garden. He was afraid that his neighbors might object to the noise his shotgun made. To date he did kill a cottontail that was eating his wife's flowers. Apparently on my place a local red shouldered hawk is making great inroads on rabbits and doves.