The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 8, 2009, 01:09 PM   #1
awaveritt

Slightly aggravating trigger pull-S&W 638

I've had my S&W 638 since December 08 and I really love it. However, some time back I began to notice a VERY slight tick in the single action trigger pull. Although it's almost imperceptible, the OCD tendencies in me wonder what would be involved in smoothing it out. How do you find folks who know what they're doing with S&W actions and what would I expect to pay for someone to smooth this out? I'm in the Austin Tx area.

I really enjoy this little gun and actually shoot it pretty well. Yet the little hiccup in the single action just bugs me. I should add that it hasn't gotten any worse after 500-600 rounds and in fact may have been this way when I bought it. Just took a while to notice it. Any thoughts?
Old September 8, 2009, 01:46 PM   #2
stevieboy

I'm finding it hard to imagine what you're describing. My experience with single action is that, with every gun I've fired, the hammer drops all at once, without any precurser movement when sufficient pressure is put on the trigger. Some triggers require more force to activate the hammer drop than others and can be lightened with action jobs. It's also true that some revolvers when fired in single action mode display a little bit of slack in the trigger before the hammer is engaged. But, in no case have I encountered a "tick" or other movement in the gun's internals before the hammer drops. So, I'm just a little unsure what your problem actually is. Can you explain exactly what you feel happening when you fire in single action?
Old September 8, 2009, 02:04 PM   #3
awaveritt

Stevieboy, thanks for your reply. It is at the beginning of the pull. When force is first applied to the trigger in single action, there is a slight creep (as opposed to slack). In other words, the trigger gives slightly before the sear breaks. In fact, I can move the trigger to this point and then pull the hammer back and it goes back to the original position.

As I said, this is all very slight and in no way affects my ability to shoot the gun well, it's just a little annoying. I probably won't have anything done to it, unless I come across someone who knows what they're doing and will check it out for a reasonable sum.
Old September 8, 2009, 10:39 PM   #4
p99guy

My recent vintage 638 doesnt have that....but it did benefit greatly from a wolff gunspings J frame spring set.....normal mainspring is 8.5 pounds, the wolff is a 8.0...then you decide which trigger return spring to use (13,14,15 pound) I installed the 14 pounder, then gutted the S&W lock for grins.
It came out pretty nice, and functions 100%( great single action)
Now I can hit a 55 gallon drum with it at 60yds 4 out of 5 times
I know that has to be of some use in an emergency.