The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 27, 2012, 04:40 PM   #1
FUNdamental101

Dave Holmes - Wing Meets Clays article on Bill McGuire

I liked Dave Holmes Wing Meets Clays article McChamp about Bill McGuire….the stats on the top shooters are interesting, although I was confused on a couple things he wrote. What does "a two-target increase at the 90% level is huge" mean??? And I was surprised he doesn't practice that much, maybe that's how it is when you are at the top…I would like to hear more from him about the "mental game", too. Wish Mr. Holmes had looked into that more…seems a lot of people on here are interested in that.
Old June 27, 2012, 08:47 PM   #2
oneounceload

At THAT level, where most tournaments are won or lost by a single bird, a two bird increase can mean the difference between HOA and tied for fifth.

You will find more about McGuire, Cherry, Miles and others at www.shotgunworld.com - especially in the sporting clays subsection
Old June 27, 2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

This really belongs in Shotgun.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old June 27, 2012, 10:41 PM   #4
zippy13

Quote:
a two bird increase can mean the difference between HOA and tied for fifth.
Amen, Brother 1-oz.
As I've mentioned previously, when you're a scratch shooter, One target can make the difference between champ and chump.
Old June 27, 2012, 11:07 PM   #5
Frank Ettin
Staff

A few years ago I was at the State trapshooting championship (ATA). The winner of the singles championship broke 400 straight. The runner-up broke 399.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old June 28, 2012, 12:02 AM   #6
zippy13

A top score may just buy you a ticket to the shoot-offs. At the NSSA World Championships, the 250 target 12-gauge championship is shot as two 125 target events over two days. Typically, several shooters will have perfect 250x250 scores and they all shoot-off to determine the winner. The 1968 World Championship was no different, and it finally came down to AL Buntrock and Tommy Heffron going one-on-one for the title. After going 1050 targets without a miss (that's 42 perfect rounds of Skeet), due to time considerations and fatigued officials, it was decided to have co-champions that year.

I was lucky enough to shoot with Al before he passed. You could almost feel an aura emitting from him as he shot.
Old June 28, 2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNdamental101
What does "a two-target increase at the 90% level is huge" mean???
He means that as your shooting scores get closer to perfect, each additional bird removes a bigger percentage of your misses than when your scores are lower. If you average 90%, that's averaging 22.5 birds out of 25. Add two birds and you are averaging 24.5 out of 25, which means your are shooting 100% over half the times with some 24 bird and an occasional 23 bird strings the rest of the time. That means you can start winning some even at major matches. If you remain at a 90% average of 22.5, though, you are out of the running at the big time matches.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle