The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 12, 2024, 07:23 AM   #1
Tool

What's the best way to break in a new pistol?

Below is what I heard:

1. Wipe off all the factory grease, which is designed for rust prevention instead of lubrication.

2. Lube the slide channel.

3. Shoot a few hundred rounds, using 124 gr bullets.

What else? Does dry-firing help?
Old April 12, 2024, 07:57 AM   #2
jar

Clean lube, shoot. What type bullets depends on the gun.

The reality is that what you are breaking in is the user. It takes a few hundred rounds to initially get proficient with a new firearm.
Old April 12, 2024, 11:49 AM   #3
Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Clean lube, shoot. What type bullets depends on the gun.

The reality is that what you are breaking in is the user. It takes a few hundred rounds to initially get proficient with a new firearm.
Thanks for the good comments.
Old April 12, 2024, 05:47 PM   #4
WmMunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool View Post

3. Shoot a few hundred rounds, using 124 gr bullets.
Probably not a good idea unless you're shooting a 9mm ;-)
Old April 12, 2024, 08:39 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

Read your manual, see if and or where it says to put oil, not just the slide channel. sometimes its the barrel or other places.

More of a concern with rifles, but its advisable to run a lightly olef patch down the barrel to clean out and debri or machining /protective oil from the inside of the barrel.

Clean it
Oil it
Shoot it

Most modern pistols do not need to be broken in, unless you bought a high dollar competition gun that is fitted very tightly. But cleaning the gun, and shooting it to make sure its working properly is reccomended.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; April 12, 2024 at 10:15 PM.
Old April 12, 2024, 09:21 PM   #6
Hawg

Before you do anything tear it completely down and clean off all the packing grease. Oil it up and shoot it.
Old April 12, 2024, 10:28 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Read the manual. Guns aren't all the same. I've learned a lot about guns just reading manuals.

Field strip and clean. During that process:
  • Remove excessive lube. Some of the lube is there as a preservative, but in some cases, some of it is there to facilitate break in and you don't necessarily want to strip it all off. Had a guy call me from his rental range. He had a new gun that wasn't working. He had used an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the gun and that completely stripped all the lube. Then he re-oiled it, but didn't get all the lube points covered and the gun wouldn't run. I put some oil on the spot he missed and it started working.
  • Check things over to see if there are any problems and so you will be able to tell if things change after you shoot it.

Shoot it. I've not had issues with ammo preference (in terms of bullet weight) during break-in with centerfire guns, but rimfires may want to be broken in with certain types of ammo.

Sometimes a gun will have some hiccups the first time to the range. I have one pistol where each of the magazines had a weird malfunction the first time they were loaded/shot. The rounds would bind in the magazine and cause a jam. Then they never did it again. That kind of thing is somewhat unusual, but still, I wouldn't freak out if there were some minor issues with the very first time the gun was shot.

Then take it home and repeat the strip and clean. Check for excessive wear, to see if anything changed, and then reapply lube where applicable based on the manufacturer's guidance and based on where you see wear.

Next time at the range I wouldn't expect to see any malfunctions.

Not sure exactly what you mean by the "slide channel", but if you mean the firing pin channel, don't put any lube in there. If you have a dry lubricant, you can apply some to the firing pin channel sparingly, but usually firing pins don't need any lubricant.
Old April 13, 2024, 12:38 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Fine advice, though I would raise two points...

Often a beginner will have no idea what is, and isn't "excessive".

At metal to metal contact points, the finish (blue, or whatever) will get worn off. A degree of this is normal and not excessive.

My other point is, that most people who aren't well versed in the terminology think of the "slide channel" as being where the slide fits over (or inside, depending on design) of the frame rails.

Field strip, clean, and properly relubricate is also sound advice for any used (but new to me) gun. This gives you a "clean slate" starting point for evaluating how the gun performs.
Old April 13, 2024, 08:52 PM   #9
Tool

Many thanks for all the excellent advice.
Old April 15, 2024, 11:28 AM   #10
BarryLee

Quote:
Read the manual. Guns aren't all the same. I've learned a lot about guns just reading manuals.
Yes, purchased a 1911 a couple of years ago and the manufacturer specially said to shoot 300 to 500 rounds before cleaning.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman