The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 13, 2020, 04:58 AM   #1
kst8fan

10/22 target build

I’m wanting to custom build a 10/22. I like Tactical Solutions complete receiver but they are expensive, around $570. Volquartsen makes a nice receiver also that I’m considering for $370 but I believe it’s a stripped receiver. I’m thinking about a tactical solutions bull barrel and possibly a hornet trigger. I’m going with a Boyd’s Barracuda laminate stock. Haven’t decided yet on a scope. In another direction I could get all parts from Brownell’s when they get back in stock. Their Brn22 receiver is $91, But I would have to come up with the bolt, trigger assembly, and all receiver parts. For any of you that have ever done at 10/22 custom build, what direction did you go? Thanks
Old September 13, 2020, 09:52 AM   #2
Pahoo

Lots of fun

Quote:
For any of you that have ever done at 10/22 custom build, what direction did you go? Thanks
I have and being a deplorable, I choose to keep as much of my money, in my pocket. ,,.....

I'm understanding that yo have a stock 10/22. you are more than half-way there. I'm of aware of how deep you want to go, so I take this path. ....

1) I replace the OEM with a Volts target hammer kit..... About $36.00
2) I install a Poly buffer. ... About $6.00
3) I modify the Bolt release ...... $0.00
4) I may replace the OEM stock with a Boyd, of "my" choosing.
5) I may replace the OEM barrel with a Kidd. .... ???
6) I may replace the OEM trigger with a Target trigger .... About $30.00

The biggest bang for you buck, will come from the Volts Target Hammer. One nice part of all this adventure is you can reverse the process and go back to OEM

Have fun and;
Keep Safe !!!
Old September 13, 2020, 02:50 PM   #3
Double K

Unless you just like to tinker with 22's Volquartson makes a replacement hammer for the 597, that's essentially all they need to make them a great semi-auto 22. Mine will group under an inch at 100m with select lots of SK rifle match and Lapua center x. Mine is an earlier model, a friend and I bought 2 of them, both are excellent rifles, the action design is superior to the Ruger in that the bolt is guided by two rods making the alignment to the bolt face more precise.
fyi my standards are fairly high when it comes to 22lr, being a Anschutz guy.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872852018
Old September 15, 2020, 03:50 PM   #4
ms6852

I recently did a custom Franken 10/22 ruger. I bought the rifle cheap at a Pawn Shop, and replaced the stock with a Boyd's AT-one , the barrel is a Kidd barrel, bolt and receiver are ruger original parts, and the trigger is a BX trigger I bought at a great price for $49.99. Normally I just grind and polish the triggers myself but wanted to try it out. I than put a Bushnell Forge scope that I got for 50% off. There is no saving money when it comes to transforming a ruger. All in all I do it because it brings me pleasure and I enjoy it. She shoots pretty good. I was averaging about 1.2 to 1.3 inch 10 shot groups at 100 yards using mini-mags with about 5 seconds to 8 between shots.
Old September 16, 2020, 03:52 PM   #5
soupsandwich

Good looking rifle!

ms6852 - I'm in the middle of a 10/22 build that is very similar to the rifle you posted. I'm trying to decide between Victor's Titan22 or Boyd's AT-One for the stock. How do you like the Boyd's? Did you make any modifications to it? TIA
Old September 16, 2020, 04:31 PM   #6
jpx2rk

I did a Fedderesen 16.25" bull barrel, BX trigger group and a Stocky's Anschutz style TH stock on mine. Did a few other things to the Ruger action that I found over on RFC. Shoots pretty good but I just hate messing with those mags.
Old September 17, 2020, 06:26 AM   #7
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupsandwich View Post
ms6852 - I'm in the middle of a 10/22 build that is very similar to the rifle you posted. I'm trying to decide between Victor's Titan22 or Boyd's AT-One for the stock. How do you like the Boyd's? Did you make any modifications to it? TIA
I like the stock very much and I did not have to do anything to it, everything just fell into place. I've got some other buddies that saw mine and shot it and ordered the same stock model but in laminate. It is shooting so good I don't thing bedding it would improve it. But for now at least it is an option.
Old September 17, 2020, 04:51 PM   #8
Scorch

I have built several using the Brownells actions. With a little polishing here and there, some machine time, and some know-how, I build 10/22s that shoot 1/2 MOA. It amazes shooters how accurate a rifle like this can be. Plus, it's fun!

On a different note, I am not a fan of Boyd's AT-One stock. Too many square corners, not really fully adjustable (just comb height and LOP), and the fit is just so-so. Better to find something a little different. Boyds Prairie Hunter and Varmint stocks are OK, just not the AT-One.