The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2010, 10:55 AM   #1
zxcvbob

Anyone ordered from Mastercastbullets.com lately?

I've ordered bullets from Mastercast several times before and been really happy with them, but it's been a year or two because I also cast some of my own bullets. I sent Mike a request for a quote for 2500 bullets a few weeks ago and he replied a day or two later. So I sent a check, and that's the last I've heard from him. Sent a couple of followup emails to check on the status, but no replies. I called this morning and just got the answering machine. I left a message; maybe he'll return my call.

I can't tell if the check has been cashed because I sent it thru a bill-paying service and they took the money out immediately like if I'd bought a money order. I assume the bank can find out for me...

There's not necessarily anything wrong, but I'm getting uneasy about this.
Old May 18, 2010, 01:00 PM   #2
DavidAGO

I ordered a couple of thousand bullets in early March, haven't seen them yet. I have been happy with the quality of the bullets. I need them in, I am out of .45acp RN.

DavidAGO
Old May 18, 2010, 03:29 PM   #3
zxcvbob

A thousand of these were Makarov bullets, and I don't have any to load so I'm a little impatient about them. The other 1500 were .380's and .357, and I'm OK on those, just stocking up.
Old May 18, 2010, 08:45 PM   #4
celtgun

Mastercast

Bought from Mike within the last 2 monthes, all OK.

Pray and Shoot Daily.
Lee Jones(Celtgun)

"I walk on untrodden ground. Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation. It is better be alone than in bad company."
GEORGE WASHINGTON, (1732-1799)
Old May 20, 2010, 09:04 AM   #5
zxcvbob

Just got an email from Mike. He hasn't cashed my check yet. He's waiting for a part that went out on the lubricizer; says my bullets will be enroute "shortly".

So it looks like the only real problem is a pitiful job of communication.
Old May 21, 2010, 07:39 AM   #6
MissouriBullet

Must be a lubrisizer epidemic

We're waiting for a part for one our lubrisizers, too. Two parts, actually, the tube heating unit and the control relay. They shipped us a replacement relay earlier this week but it was the wrong one, so am hopeful they'll get it right this time.

Brad
Old May 23, 2010, 12:15 PM   #7
Tacoma

I'm a Missouri fan. Never had an order from those guys that took more than 24 hrs to ship. Now Kead bullets, THERE is a broken process and WAIT like you can't imagine!
Old June 3, 2010, 01:26 PM   #8
zxcvbob

This is beginning to look like National Bullet Company all over again.
Old June 3, 2010, 05:50 PM   #9
Sevens

Quote:
This is beginning to look like National Bullet Company all over again
I can't imagine he's deserves THAT.

Those guys turned out to be all-out crooks.
Old June 3, 2010, 06:12 PM   #10
zxcvbob

Maybe I overreacted. Mike finally returned one of my calls; said my order is going out tomorrow. We'll see. I want to trust the guy, and I haven't had this trouble before.

I don't think I'll be ordering from him again unless I can order COD. I don't mind paying a little more to do that.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:55 PM   #11
jjohnson

Give Mike a Break

Hey, Mike's sort of a one man band there - but he didn't cash the check for something backlogged, right? Honest enough?

Don't EVEN mention National :barf: Bullet in the same paragraph. I last bought from Mike in December, and have bought from him for a couple years with no complaints. Being a small shop, though, sometimes you have to wait while he gets around to your order if he's not "in stock" at the moment.

If you want what you order today delivered yesterday, go to Missouri Bullet.
If you want something custom sized for you or something a bit different in a small batch, Mike can probably do it before Brad can reconfigure his gear.

No complaints with Mike at Mastercast or Brad at Missouri Bullet - but they're not quite the same. Both are fine by me - and I'll continue to do business with both of 'em.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:59 PM   #12
zxcvbob

I don't know if he cashed the check or not; it was a cashiers check.

I've been talking with him on the phone this evening, he thinks he might be having server problems and losing emails. We're trying to trace one right now.
Old June 3, 2010, 09:01 PM   #13
j2flan

Hope nobody gets this confused with Mike at www.mastercast.net
There quality, price and service has been as good as it gets.
Old June 5, 2010, 10:21 PM   #14
sophijo

Mastercast

Within last month I ordered and rec'd 1000 225gr truncated cone bullets. Great quality and fast........less than three weeks.
Old June 6, 2010, 11:12 PM   #15
PCJim

I ordered some 125gr 9mm and 155gr (I think) 40 from Mike within the last ten weeks. I had a lengthy conversation with him when I first ordered the rounds, explaining some problems with another caster and why I wanted to give his bullets a try. I also requested that the 9mm's be sized .3565. I was specific in telling him I was not in any rush, although he said he should be able to ship them out the following week. Three weeks later I followed up as they had not been received. He apologized and I again emphasized that I was in no rush, but since he had thought they would ship the following week I wanted to check. The full order was received two weeks later.

No complaints here....
Old June 7, 2010, 07:15 PM   #16
zxcvbob

Good news, and an apology

A smallish 50 pound box wrapped with lots of filament tape showed up in the mail today. (my mailman probably hates me) It was odd, because I only order 40 pounds of bullets. Mike sent extras for all the trouble. I haven't opened all the little boxes inside yet, but the ones I did open, the Makarov bullets, look great -- they look a little smaller than I expected but I measured a couple and they are dead on. I guess they would look shorter than .380 bullets of the same weight since they are fatter.

I hope Mike can get the problem worked out with his email server. I'm gonna see if there's anything I can do to help with that. Again, my problem was not how long it took but the lack of communication; but he says he only received my original email and none of the follow-ups. (Maybe his server doesn't like the "References:" or "In-Reply-To:" headers? They would have been in all my emails except the first one...)

And I hereby apologize for the "National Bullet" comments.
Old June 7, 2010, 08:48 PM   #17
grubbylabs

45 CALIBER 230 GRAIN RN $78.85 PER M (.452)

Was just looking at Mikes site and was wondering Just what the M stood for. Can't imagine its a million.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old June 7, 2010, 08:58 PM   #18
zxcvbob

'M' means a thousand, just like 'k'. "MM" is ambiguous; it could be 2000 (roman numerals) or a million.
Old June 7, 2010, 09:21 PM   #19
grubbylabs

Thanks, they seem to have the best price on cast.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)

Last edited by grubbylabs; June 7, 2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old June 7, 2010, 09:35 PM   #20
ammo.crafter

lots o' lead

Missouri Bullets is awesome. Give them a try.
Old June 7, 2010, 09:54 PM   #21
DavidAGO

Mike may be slow, but his bullets are first-rate, I don't mind slow too much. My first order of 2000 bullets, .357's and .45's, I had a cull of exactly two bullets that were not up to par. Good bullets, good price

David