The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 25, 2016, 10:13 AM   #1
CC268

Best conceal carry holster for Glock 19?

Hey guys,

What are some good options for a comfortable conceal carry holster for the Glock 19? I would prefer to spend the money to get something quality.
Old September 25, 2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Rinspeed

One of my favorites is the Sparks Summer Special and last I knew Brownells kept them in stock for the 19. The SS is one of the most popular and copied IWB holsters of all time, with good reason. I actually have one of the originals made by Bruce Nelson who designed the SS.

Old September 25, 2016, 10:45 AM   #3
849ACSO

That depends on your body type, your normal attire, what you find comfortable, etc., etc.

I usually carry a 1911 in a quality, leather shoulder rig, or a quality, leather belt holster, or a quality, leather/kydex IWB holster...................

Most folks have a box of expensive holsters they have bought and decided weren't what they had in mind. I have well over $1k in leather I will never wear again.

What I'm saying is, it doesn't matter what others find comfy/work well. It matters what works well for you.
Old September 25, 2016, 11:12 AM   #4
Rinspeed

Quote:
Most folks have a box of expensive holsters they have bought and decided weren't what they had in mind.

I would say many, many more have a box of $40 holsters that didn't quite cut it. Buy a good quality leather holster from some of the better makers and you can get most of your money back selling it slightly used.
Old September 25, 2016, 11:18 AM   #5
BigJimP

Kramer leather ( horsehide ) is my personal favorite...with a forward FBI tilt...
very well made, very comfortable.

http://www.kramerleather.com/products.cfm?categoryID=23

http://www.kramerleather.com/product...&categoryID=23
Old September 25, 2016, 11:22 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

I use a horsehide CBST and it's fantastic.
Old September 25, 2016, 11:35 AM   #7
Rinspeed

Quote:

Never tried one of those but they have a hell of a following. Always looked to me like it might get a little warm in the summer with all that material.
Old September 25, 2016, 12:01 PM   #8
reteach

I have bought several holsters from Lobo Gun Leather. They are great holsters and excellent people to do business with. They make each one to order, so it takes a while, but it's worth the time, I think.

http://www.lobogunleathers.com/
Old September 25, 2016, 12:43 PM   #9
sigarms228

Holsters are a very personal thing so there is no real best. Kind of like asking what are the best shoes to get.

I like minimalist holsters and in particular kydex. I give up just a little comfort for the advantages of the kydex including very easy and smooth holstering and draw, retention, easy on/off belt while wearing, and does not absorb moisture.

I use Ozark holster single clip kydex and wear at about 3:30.

Old September 25, 2016, 01:49 PM   #10
noonesshowmonkey

Bladetech Phantom or Klipt. Easy to use, and the Phantom can be configured for IWB or AIWB. Kydex won't hold sweat, won't fold in on itself, and both have positive engagements when holstered. Won't cost you more than $35. Get two.
Old September 25, 2016, 01:54 PM   #11
AK103K

Ill second the kydex holsters, and especially if you sweat. Not that its as much an issue with the Glocks.

Over the years, Ive found the kydex holsters are a much better value for the money too.

Ive been using Blade Tech's since the mid 90's. Stopped most of my rust issues and I didnt/dont have to buy a new holster each year, as I did with the leather holsters. A lot more comfortable too.

I used their "IWB" model for almost 20 years. For the past 3-4 years, Ive been using their AIWB "Ambi" Klipt.

If I were to go back to leather, Milt Sparks Versa Max II would be my choice for IWB.
Old September 25, 2016, 01:59 PM   #12
jr24

Quote:
Never tried one of those but they have a hell of a following. Always looked to me like it might get a little warm in the summer with all that material.
Agreed, I like the neoprene of Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 for my hybrid style holsters, works great from my Glock 26 to my 1911s.a

More often, however, I'll carry my Glock 19 (and eventually 17) in a Will Bill's Concealment Covert Carry. Similar to the single clip style, but tuckable and I like the rear-placement of the clip.
Old September 25, 2016, 02:15 PM   #13
Rinspeed

Quote:
If I were to go back to leather, Milt Sparks Versa Max II would be my choice for IWB.

Wore my VM-II last night with my Baer TRS, first time in several months. Great holster, just not sure what advantages it has over the SS. The VM-II has such a cult following Tony had to put a disclaimer on his website that if you buy one of his holsters just to resell it on ebay you will get no more business from them. New ones sell fairly quickly for $300 or more on ebay. Tony and the crew at Sparks are all great guys to deal with.
Old September 25, 2016, 02:21 PM   #14
JERRYS.

ive found the King Tuk to be comfortable as well as functional. im going to try the alien gear because of the ability to change shells. years ago I had the milt sparks versa max II, it was a fantastic holster. but today the name means less to me with the other holsters being just as comfortable at 1/3 the price.
Old September 26, 2016, 04:03 AM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
The CBST takes up a lot of real estate, I'll grant you. When it's warm enough for the CBST to be uncomfortable, though, then I'm already uncomfortable. I will admit, though, that I don't tuck my shirt in over my pistol, because I wear a jacket about 80% of the time. That means that if it's too hot for a jacket, I switch to a pocket pistol. All of that said, though, my next holster may well be a StealthGear Onyx, which has a ventilated backing.
Old September 26, 2016, 12:32 PM   #16
erikrichard

This one looks really good http://www.vedderholsters.com/lighttuck/ Why make your fat gun fatter with thick leather? This holster with a G19 is probably about as thick as a G43 in a leather holster, so much for the G43 width advantage.
Old September 26, 2016, 12:32 PM   #17
Darkstar888

For AIWB I really like the Desantis Slim Tuk kydex holster. It works well in any position with adjustable cant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 26, 2016, 06:51 PM   #18
eos

Surprised nobody mentioned Stealthgear. I like their IWB Minis for my G19 and G43; similar to the Alien Gear IWB but made with better materials and construction. Very comfortable.
Old September 26, 2016, 08:00 PM   #19
amd6547

While I don't own a G19, I do use a G26 and a G17. I second the simple IWB kydex clip on. They are a perfect match to the Glock. They protect the trigger, and as noted add hardly anything to thickness or weight.
Mine came from a maker on Glocktalk, but there are plenty.
Don't overlook the cheap Glock Sport holster for some uses...the little plastic belt slide, which only cost $10 when I bought it, works great.
Galco makes their Summer Comfort, which is their copy of the Summer Special.
I found one on eBay used, like new for less than half the price of new, for my G17. It carries very well, and I would recommend it.
Old September 26, 2016, 08:30 PM   #20
jbarbourtrim

I use hidden hybrid holsters. They are awesome. I'll usually have my holster on for about 12 hours or so. Never had an issue with comfort. I've tried other holsters. This is my favorite

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old September 27, 2016, 03:29 AM   #21
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed
Great holster, just not sure what advantages it has over the SS.
More stable because the loops are further apart, so the pistol stays in the same position. Also thinner because the holster isn't stacked right on top of the attachment/loops. Probably less important if you are carrying a 1911; but as you carry some of the thicker in the slide pistols it makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K
I didnt/dont have to buy a new holster each year, as I did with the leather holsters.
You were going through a Versa Max II a year? I'm still wearing the first one I bought in 2000 that has been through every competition shoot, every training class, and about 90% of my range trips and every day carry. And it looks like it has at least another 16 years in it too...
Old September 27, 2016, 03:45 AM   #22
AK103K

Quote:
You were going through a Versa Max II a year?
No. At the time, it was Galco Royal Guards. I was rotating through two, day to day, in the summer due to sweating issues, and usually had to junk one at the end of the summer and get a new one.

When I was using them, I didnt use the VMII's in the summer. Or else I probably would have been doing the same thing I was doing with the Royal Guards.
Old September 27, 2016, 04:06 AM   #23
Mastrogiacomo

Tucker gun leather

http://www.tuckergunleather.com/insi...d-iwb-holsters
Old September 27, 2016, 08:08 AM   #24
38Mike

I use the Vedder Light Tuck holster for AIWB carry of my Glock 26. It is perfect size, not 2 to 3 times the size of the pistol; the clip is thin as can be but also as strong as it can be. Snap it over belt and it ain't moving. At first I thought it was a pain to pull shirt around and get tucked in, but after getting used to the routine, it's easy.
Haven't tried other carry positions, but the clip is held on with 2 allen screws and is adjustable for height and cant......

Very nice holster..

Mike
Old September 27, 2016, 11:08 AM   #25
Chainsaw.

Cross breed super tuck. Its IWB but the pistol disappears, and Im skinny. I get comments all the time at IDPA. Ive had SOs ask if I was gonna go put my gun on before a stage.