The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2014, 03:57 PM   #1
abber

Nosler for .40

Hey all - I just wanted to see if anybody in here has experience with the 200 grain Nosler (#44952) for .40/10mm? Pretty heavy-for-caliber, which for me, is intriguing. Mine would be used for .40 S&W, and it would be for the zombie apocalypse (stash ammo). The Nosler load data is as follows:

Barrel length = 4.0"
Powder = Power Pistol
4.8 grains = 767 fps.
5.3 grains = 850 fps.
5.8 grains = 933 fps. (max load).

I have only cited one powder, because it is the only one they list which I actually have a decent stock of. Anyway, Midway has these at a very good price, and I was wondering if they will expand well at the listed velocities? There are a couple of YouTube videos, but in both of those, the velocities of the tested offerings is significantly higher. 40 S&W @ 1100 fps from Double Tap! Hard to believe. Anybody who can weigh in on this will be appreciated.
Old September 29, 2014, 03:38 AM   #2
Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

My brother has been sitting on my 40/10mm dies and 200 gr bullets for his 401 power mag for too long, so I just ordered some Nosler 200gr bullets, a set of dies, a KKM 40 barrel for the Glock 20, and a 24 pound recoil spring from Wolff.

The recoil guide rod fit in the big spring they sent, but not the small one, so I made a CAPTURED guide rod assembly and worked up some loads in 40.

9-13-2014 40 sw KKM barrel in G20 200 gr Nosler JHP
11.5 gr Power Pistol 1.290"
with .320" coil 0.041" wire 2.920" relaxed inner Right hand spring.
Cycles, feeds, and resets.

This a longer overall length [OAL] cartridges and the powder charge is ~~ twice the max book load.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 29, 2014, 11:45 AM   #3
Sevens

I have never built a 200gr .40 S&W load and I have no idea what you could expect performance-wise.

I do have one related nugget that might be helpful or important. I have a bit of experience using Nosler JHP slugs in .400" diameter in the 10mm and I also have a lot of experience using many other slugs in the 10mm and with all of them across a dizzying array of different headstamps.

I have come to the very solid conclusion that while Nosler .400" pistol bullets are of very high quality and consistency, the one thing they are not is anywhere on the "fat" side of diameter.

This is to say...
That if I had a piece of 10mm brass with thin walls or even the slightest compromise of case mouth tension (i.e., 'bullet pull') then the problem will always be exacerbated by the Nosler JHP bullets.

The finest example is R-P headstamp nickel plated 10mm brass. This is (without a doubt) some of the thinnest 10mm brass that has ever been put on the market and when paired up with Nosler JHP slugs, case mouth tension is ERRATIC at best. This is, in my not at all humble opinion, a risky proposition in a semi-auto pistol.

In your situation with the significantly longer 200 grain bullets, you are far less likely to have the same problem that I experienced.

EVEN SO, please use caution with those bullets and your brass. I would whole-heartedly recommend that you avoid any R-P headstamp .40 S&W brass for this project.
Old September 29, 2014, 03:16 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

big ole stash of 200g Hornady FMJ

Power Pistol and that 200g Nosler in the 40 S&W will work.
Use a thinner case, like the R-P, because the bullet seats so long inside the case fat walls can cause chambering issues.
Use new sized cases ONLY, and the CCI500.
Use a modest start charge, and cautiously work up slow. As you near 'the top', suggest increasing in .1g increments.

Me? I'd contact Nosler directly to find out about that bullet's velocity/expansion threshold.

And further me: I use and prefer the Nosler 135g JHP for both short-barrel anti-personnel ammo 40 S&W, and in anti-personnel 40 S&W and 10mm.
Old October 1, 2014, 05:09 PM   #5
std7mag

Haven't tried the 200 gr. yet..
Mostly stick to the 150gr. Noslers.
I do load some 180gr. Noslers for my neighbor. I use Longshot for his, and Bluedot for mine.
Old October 3, 2014, 05:14 AM   #6
Ruger45LC

There is some older Alliant data out there that shows either 6.2 or 6.3gr as max using Power Pistol.

With 200gr Nosler that load gave me about 910 fps from a 3" Kahr CM40. There are better powders for 200gr .40 S&W but Power Pistol does respectably.
Old October 3, 2014, 01:25 PM   #7
pctechdude

I've never had any thought to using a 200gr bullets in 40, just a little skeptical in that caliber. In 10mm I don't hesitate at all.

I'd say stick to standard 135, 155, 165, & 180 in 40. Just not much room for error.
Old October 3, 2014, 03:05 PM   #8
WESHOOT2

I've run 220s in 40; yes the case walls bulged