The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 3, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Willie Lowman

Goodbye 7.62x39, hello Garand

I made a trade today.

For my like new Norinco SKS sporter, all my 7.62x39 ammo, my 30 round AK mags and drum that I was saving a rainy day I got a Garand and a bayonet. There was some money on my part too.

So as of today I have no com-bloc guns or ammo. I have a Garand. It is a Springfield of 1941 vintage. I already managed to slam my left thumb in the action while screwing around with it... Haven't fired the first round through it yet.

No pics for you! I may get some when I take it out to shoot but I'm not promising anything.

------

Anyone know if that '71 Greek 30-06 ammo is corrosive?
Old November 3, 2012, 07:36 PM   #2
RT

Good trade
Old November 3, 2012, 07:40 PM   #3
10-96

Congratulations! You're gonna love that Garand- even if it may require a bit more up-front money to shoot.

Garand specific ammo is a little on the expensive side, so you might take a look at something like a Schuster Adjustable Gas Plug, a Wolff spring kit from Brownell's, and several spare clips.

Now, if you hit the range and find that it does not shoot to your liking- please don't get rid of it. Consider a Criterion barrel swap. Sure, that's a little more $$- but little in life is as satisfying as a good running M1.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 3, 2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Jeff H

Quote:
Garand specific ammo is a little on the expensive side, so you might take a look at something like a Schuster Adjustable Gas Plug, a Wolff spring kit from Brownell's, and several spare clips.
Actually, I find the opposite true. Once you set up an account at the CMP, you can get a 200 round ammo can for roughly $100.00 + shipping. That is cheaper than I can find most other 30-06 rounds of any type.
Old November 3, 2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Technosavant

AIM Surplus also has some Prvi Partizan .30-06 to military specs (the Garand will love it)... it costs a bit more than the Greek stuff through CMP, but it's a bit easier to order (the CMP has great prices and a good cause, but it's a bit more work than most online vendors).
Old November 3, 2012, 10:29 PM   #6
chris in va

...or just reload. Save those HXP cases after you fire them.
Old November 4, 2012, 07:50 AM   #7
Willie Lowman

Chris, I reload. The Dillon 650 is sitting about 10 feet behind me quietly reminding me I need to load more .223. It is now just a matter of getting 30-06 dies, another tool head, another shell plate, large rifle case feeder, powder, primers, bullets, tumbling brass, drinking more coffee...
Old November 4, 2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Edward429451

That was a good trade. The bonus is all American now.

If I traded an SKS for a Garand I would feel like I ripped him off, lol!.
Old November 4, 2012, 05:16 PM   #9
JR_Roosa

I love my garand. You will like yours.

J.
Old November 4, 2012, 11:32 PM   #10
10-96

Quote:
Actually, I find the opposite true. Once you set up an account at the CMP, you can get a 200 round ammo can for roughly $100.00 + shipping.
Right, but I personally don't anticipate HXP being around for more than a couple more years at most.

Old November 5, 2012, 05:01 AM   #11
Ignition Override

10-96:
Does most of the CMP's M2 Ball consist of HXP? A friend who moved away has some inside contacts at the CMP from his years on the Navy Rifle Team, and can find out whether any more HXP might be available for future CMP imports.

Do you believe that the CMP won't be able to acquire any more, or that no more exists for Greek exports to us?
I hope that future US signing into, and blind obedience to the UN Small Arms Treaty is not also a threat to this ammo or any leftover quantities of Garands.

If the Greeks have more than a few left (not just their Honour Guards etc), they might be broke enough to send them back.
They have doctors and many other types of workers who have not been paid in months, if the newspaper article is accurate.
Old November 5, 2012, 05:00 PM   #12
sgms

Good trade, garands are great rifles. You can always get another SKS later they aren't exactly hard to find or expensive for that matter.
Old November 5, 2012, 09:48 PM   #13
bamaranger

not a trade, a..........

A Garand for an SKS......that's not a trade, that's a steal.
Old November 6, 2012, 03:30 AM   #14
10-96

Ignition Override-
One of my buddies was told 2yrs ago by one of the CMP storemembers that they had gotten all that the Greeks had.

I'd also read that on the CMP forum while digging around for folks' pet M2 duplication reload recipes.

So, I don't have an answer for you from a first-hand source, but I do trust what my buddy says.

Old November 6, 2012, 04:55 AM   #15
Willie Lowman

As I said before, I traded more than just the SKS. At any rate I like the Garand much better so far. The sights are better, the trigger is much better, and despite the size and weight the balance is much better.

After my first test firing of the rifle I noticed the clips don't eject with much authority. They seem to pop out and roll off the side of the rifle. I think they are supposed to be thrown clear. Also, the elevation knob is not aligned properly. When the rear sight is all the way down the number 4 is just above the mark on the gun. I guess this is just a matter of removing the screw in the sight adjustment drum and lining it up correctly?
Old November 7, 2012, 08:39 AM   #16
dodge

The standard handload for the garand is 47 grs. IMR 4895 with a 150 gr. bullet. Through my research I found that this load is suppose to dupilcate the M2 load that the military used in the day.