The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2011, 09:37 PM   #1
memphis605

243 wildcat questions

Hello im new to the forum and am looking for your help. I have been working on developing a wildcat taking a 243 win down to a .224. After much debating and designing i have finally been able to get my casing just as i want it... now the problem. the case i have made has a radius shoulder and i am having difficulties getting reamers for dies and chamber... any advice is appreciated. thanks
Old February 8, 2011, 01:21 AM   #2
Kiwi Hunter

That would be a .22/243 middlestead or several slight variations?
http://www.accuratereloading.com/22-243.html
http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w22243m.html

Dies and reamers are available off the shelf for a "straight" .22-243 Someone was doing something similar with a elliptical shoulder - maybe another poster will remember who?

Pacific should be able to grind you a reamer to spec and Hornady will do your dies from a reamer print.

Somebody will remember about the elliptical shoulder thing - ME! http://www.superiorballistics.com/

Last edited by Kiwi Hunter; February 8, 2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old February 8, 2011, 06:11 PM   #3
F. Guffey

There is a 22-243 Winchester and 25-243 Winchester and Ackley Improved versions. If you have the case send it to Climer or another reamer maker.

The 308 W is a short case with a large diameter case at the shoulder, being short and large in diameter make it difficult to use the r dies for forming. In the old days when smiths make their own reamer they cut the chamber first then reduced the dimensions to cut the die, most could keep up with the length of the chamber when reaming but the neck had to be cut smaller in the die than the chamber.

For some smiths a set of dies went with the rifle.

I formed cases for a smith that was working on a 22-6mm Improved, I started with 25/06 cases with out intentions of loading them, seems he had too many cases with incipient case head separation, I did not intend he use the cases for loading, I formed the cases with different lengths from the head of the case to the shoulder in hopes he understood the cases were formed in different lengths, the neck were too thick and the forming process caused a ring internal looking donut at the shoulder/neck juncture, then I decided helping him could damage my reputation, like most, in a few months after helping him he could forget where the information came from and now he no longer has a problem with case head incipient separation, in the beginning he thought forming cases was expensive and time consuming.

I received my shot gun news today and there it was, a smith saying "check often before going too far" and I always ask "Why don't they know where they are when they start when they start reaming a chamber, there are at least 2 ways to measure progresses without removing the reamer while, in thousands.

F. Guffey
Old February 11, 2011, 05:38 AM   #4
memphis605

Thanks for the info. I have contacted clymer amongst others and so far nobody is willing to do a reamer for a radius shoulder. i have found places willing to do the dies but if i can't cut the chamber the dies wont do me much good.Maybe its time to tweak the design....
Old February 11, 2011, 02:05 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Have you contacted Hornady, Redding, and RCBS?

They cut reamers, too (though it's a bit more expensive than the go-to companies). They may also turn you down for the radius shoulder, but it can't hurt to ask.
Old February 11, 2011, 04:40 PM   #6
memphis605

I was aware of their die work but did not know they did reamers i will have to contact them. Thanks
Old February 12, 2011, 09:07 AM   #7
F. Guffey

The Special Order Catalog from RCBS indicates they no longer do custom dies etc.,

Order a catalog: 1 800 533 5000

F. Guffey
Old February 12, 2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Scorch

Pacific Tool and Gauge will make a reamer. Call them and ask.
http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/
4D will make a reamer. Again, call and ask.
www.4-dproducts.com
Old February 13, 2011, 06:53 PM   #9
memphis605

Thank you all the project can move forward.
Old April 14, 2011, 01:18 PM   #10
farmerboy78

22-243 middlestead

you can buy the reamer and go and no gauges through midway usa
Old December 23, 2011, 12:36 PM   #11
okie2

22-243

I have a 22-243 savage rifle. I bought the barrel used the ordered ackley dies for it.
here is what I ended up with.
The chamber has a .460 shoulder and my dies has .450.
now I learned that ackley shoulders are .455 and 22-243 winchester improved has .460.

Tags
22-243 , custom reamers , wildcat