The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 10, 2022, 03:22 PM   #1
cdoc42

Old shotgun primers

With the difficulty, not to mention the prices, of primer availability these days, I'm on my last sleeve of Fed 209 primers.

My inventory, however, holds Alcan 209 and Winchester/Western 209 primers that I obtained after a friend passed away. I have zero idea how old they are but I fired a shotshell hull with just the primer and they both fired.

That brings up the age-old question: are they safe to use given the absence of any recipes that might call for them?

The Alcan Maxi-Fire primers have no lot number, just a 209 designation and a 000437 code on the box.

One sleeve of W/W is totally cardboard including the tray, and the 3/4th of the back of the box is advertising them as the "spark plug of every shotshell," completely dependable, non-corrosive, and non-mercuric, and won't rust the barrel." The other 1/4th is warnings in much smaller print.

The other W/W is obviously newer, having a plastic tray and a lot No.UN11L58. The back of the box has 3 sentences about the quality and the warnings occupy the remainder, now all in the same size print.

Is there any safety concern if I'm using Alliant e3 powder 17.0 grains with 1-1/8oz of #8 or #7.5 shot? The Mec-Jr throws 16.8 to 17.2, but the recipe I use lists 16.0 at 1145 fps and 17.5 at 1200 fps, and I feel comfortable with that because I'm not shooting in competition with anyone but myself. I've used Fed 209, Rem 209, CCI-209, and Win 209 primers with no discernable
issues.
Old October 10, 2022, 04:17 PM   #2
Virginian

I'd use them, as long as it isn't in a max pressure load.
Old October 11, 2022, 05:01 AM   #3
stuckinthe60s

safe. use them. just use data charts accordingly and treat alcans like cci's.
win 209s are unchanged over time. go for it.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old October 11, 2022, 07:24 AM   #4
cdoc42

Thanks all for the confidence lift!
Old October 11, 2022, 03:03 PM   #5
kymasabe

Great, now you guys have me wondering if my old reload recipe varies depending on which primer I'm using. Now I gotta dig out my old reloading book and see if there's a difference. My old MecJr. is long gone but...
Old October 11, 2022, 09:01 PM   #6
cdoc42

kymasabe, you should find that it does u vary, but I find that although some recipes go over 1200 fps, if I keep the loads between 1145 and 1200 fps it doesn't matter which primer I use.

The point of my post was wondering if my older primers would be less effective and possibly generate a reduction in velocity below 1145 fps.
Old October 13, 2022, 06:34 PM   #7
stuckinthe60s

during the primer drought, i was trading pistol primers for shotgun primers. you should have seen some of the old stuff that i traded for! it ALL went bang and targets broke.
some of them were at least 50 years old!
those pistol guys were desperate for primers.
hey, i did ok. clean trades straight across.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner