The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 29, 2000, 10:11 PM   #1
RANash

I would like to hear from you all about the effectiveness of different bore cleaners/solvents. Don't just post and tell me that you use BrandX and always have, and it works just fine. Instead, I would like to hear from those of you that have tried multiple brands and types and which of those you like best and why.

Thanks!

Old January 1, 2001, 04:19 PM   #2
RANash

Now don't all try to post at once!

Anybody...?
Old January 1, 2001, 07:37 PM   #3
TN-popo

I've recently compared Butches Bore Shine, Hoppe's #9(blacklable), and Remington's bore cleaner. Butches is the best and the other two were about the same. My .02
Old January 2, 2001, 01:04 PM   #4
Bogie

Okay. I've used...

Hoppes #9 and Benchrest
Shooter's Choice & copper remover
Sweet's
Butch's
Breakfree CLP
Various snake oils
Kroil
Ed's Red
JB paste
Remclean

What I use:

Butch's for rifles, occasional use of Sweet's & JB paste

50/50 mixture of Shooter's Choice/Kroil for pistols and .22s, and Pro-shot (I think) lead remover when I need it. No real reason for using the SC/K mixture other than I've got a bunch. I'll probably eventually use up my stock, then my stock of Hoppes, snake oils, etc., and just use Butch's. May get some more remclean for deleading...

Ed's Red for shotguns. I'll continue to use it.

Old January 2, 2001, 02:21 PM   #5
RANash

Good info, Bogie, thanks.

Butch's seems to be getting the most votes here. Anyone else want to chime in?

Someone sent me an email touting Tecron Sweetshooter (www.tecrolan.com). It seems to be a metal treatment process. Anyone else use this stuff or anything like it?
Old January 2, 2001, 04:05 PM   #6
Strayhorn

I'm a convert to the TetraGun stuff. I know that some folks find the smell objectionable, but I live on a farm so "stink" is not a problem for me . . .

I think it's the best of all the stuff I've used. Once you've "seasoned" the bore (for lack of a better term) I rarely use more than three patches on a handgun before the final patch comes out clean - even when using Unique powder and lead bullets. I used their copper solvent on an extremely dirty .22 pistol and it cleaned out all the old gunk that had been accumulating for years (sloppy former owner).

Works well on rifles, too. My only gripe is that my favorite local gunshop doesn't carry it so I usually buy it at shows.

Ken Strayhorn
HIllsborough NC
Old January 2, 2001, 04:54 PM   #7
RANash

I also use the Tetra products, specifically the oil, grease, and Action Blaster (like Gun Scrubber, but a little less caustic).

Question: How do you "season" the bore?
Old January 3, 2001, 10:24 AM   #8
Strayhorn

"Seson the bore"

Well, I know this is a somewhat controversial topic, but I've always "seasoned" or "broken in" all my new rifles barrels. It probably is indeed unnecessary, but I like doing it and it's part of my traditional approach to getting a new rifle ready for the field.

I fire one shot, and run three wet patches through the bore. I do this for five shots. Then I shoot five shots and clean the bore. I do this for 20 rounds. Then I shoot 10 rounds and clean the bore. I do this for 50 rounds. While I'm doing this, I check the trigger, make sure the zero isn't wandering, and so forth. After I'm done, I do a through cleaning with brass brush and all, and then wipe the bore with Tetra Grease (be sure to wipe out all excess grease before you next shoot the gun). It takes a couple hours, to be sure, but I've never thought that a few hours at the range was time wasted. I'm just hard-headed and old-fashioned, I guess.

Anyway, the Tetra stuff seems to "season" the bore just like oil will "season" an iron frying pan, making it easier to clean. To be honest, I scoffed when I first heard this, but I have seen the results myself - even Garand and AR barrels clean up quickly and throughly.

I have friends who use similar products (Mpro7 comes to mind) with the same results.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
Old January 3, 2001, 12:26 PM   #9
Gopher .45

Is anyone familiar with the Orange De-Solv-It stuff that is suggested for use with firearm? Botach Tactical just sent me an email saying the stuff is on sale. I don't care about the sale price as much as whether or not it works well and doesn't hurt the guns. It is supposed to be biodegradable and doesn't stink (except of orange).
Old January 3, 2001, 01:16 PM   #10
RANash

Thanks for the info, Strayhorn.

However, I've got a question again.
You said, "I fire one shot, and run three wet patches through the bore."
Wet with what? The Tetra oil, or grease? Or their copper cleaning solvent?
Thanks.

By the way, the Orange De-Solve-It stuff is a very good, light duty general purpose solvent that won't hurt anything but won't do much for bore fouling, not without a lot of patches and brushing. Of course, I'd take the grips off my pistol before I would use anything.
Old January 3, 2001, 09:47 PM   #11
RANash

I just saw in an article on http://www.makarov.com that citrus based solvents are acidic, and not a good idea to leave on your gun for any length of time. That would include, I presume, the Orange De-Solve-It stuff.
Old January 4, 2001, 09:48 AM   #12
Strayhorn

Wet patches

I use the TetraGun Spray (cleaner and light lube) to wet the patches. It takes the fouling right out.

When I'm done, I clean the bore thoroughly with the TetraGun Spray, let it "dry" for ten minutes or so, then run a dry patch through the barrel to remove any excess. Then I run a patch with Tetra Grease on it through the bore. The grease acts as final lube, plus it prevents rust (I live in the humid South) in case the rifle sits in the safe for a time before I use it again. I run a patch through the bore to remove any excess before I shoot it again.

The Tetra stuff lives up to the claims of the manufacturers. It was first recommended to me by Norm Chandler of Iron Brigade Armory and Clint McKee of Fulton Armory and, as I mentioned before, I initially scoffed at the notion that it would reduce cleaning. But it works - I spend much less time cleaning, especially "dirty" rifles like the Garand and the AR. The "seasoning" procedure I got from Gale McMillian (may he rest in peace) a few years ago. Since all of these guys have forgotten more about guns than I will ever know, I have followed their advice ever since.

Also, a spot of Tetra Grease on a trigger sear will help smooth and lighten a trigger that needs some help. I used to use GunSlick from Outers for this, but the Tetra Grease is a bit better.

Best of luck,

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC