The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 8, 2021, 04:18 PM   #1
Prof Young

IWB - OWB holsters . . . let's chat.

It seems to me that IWB carry is easier to conceal than OWB. With IWB there is less gun or holster to appear below my shirt tail.

But OWB is much more comfortable. (Maybe I need a better IWB holster.)

What do you think are the advantages and/or disadvantages of both?

Life is good.

Prof Young
Old June 8, 2021, 08:47 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

My experience has been very similar to yours.

IWB is easier to conceal but can be uncomfortable and usually requires looser fitting pants

OWB is extremely comfortable, but harder to conceal.
Old June 8, 2021, 08:56 PM   #3
Nathan

I find a good iwb with a good sweat guard can be very comfortable....if it fits in the pants!

If not, hang the owb off the belt!
Old June 8, 2021, 08:56 PM   #4
ms6852

I think you just need the right holster, belt, handgun combination for a comfortable iwb carry. For me it meant a full size 1911. I find this gun to be very slim and since it is a single stack firearm you do not deal with the bulk that a double stack firearm brings regardless of caliber.
The holster and belt make a difference too. I use Crossbreed Super Tuck for decades because the belt clips are spread further apart, providing support over a wide space keeping the weight distributed evenly. The belt is the foundation and finding what works for you is key, regardless of cost. I use the KORS essential belt as the ratchet system allows you to tighten in quarter inch increments vs the leather belts where the holes are spaced an inch apart. This to me means you have to tighten too much or belt is to loose if what you need is a hole in between. If it is too loose than the handle bows outward if it is to tight gun cuts into your body.

I now carry a 686 because this gun is not as slim as a 1911 due to the cylinder I opt to carry outside the waist using the same belt and a custom holster. As far as advantage or disadvantage I guess it depends what your endgame is and most people want a pocket gun with a caliber large enough to bring an elephant down and a magazine that holds more rounds than a AR-15 but smaller than a pack of cigarettes and must weigh the same as a pack of cigarettes.

Me I adapt and dress around the gun I carry and do not carry for comfort.
Old June 8, 2021, 10:12 PM   #5
BourbonCowboy

I believe that it takes a while to get comfortable with an IWB holster. When I first started carrying, my setup was uncomfortable. I eventually became more comfortable with it, and bought a couple different holsters from different companies. Now, I can't carry at work, so when I go out, it takes me a little while to get comfortable again...but it does happen.
Old June 9, 2021, 07:28 AM   #6
AzShooter

A lot depends on where you put our holster. Behind the hip seems very popular but appendix carry is more comfortable. You may even want to try cross draw OWB. With the right rake it can be easily concealed.

I use to carry a 625 ( N Frame Revolver ) and could easily conceal it under my sports coat. Now, I'm skinnier and need a smaller gun. I carry OWB with a very loose shirt on.

Trick is to practice with what you are wearing.
Old June 9, 2021, 03:37 PM   #7
ghbucky

I tend to wear OWB in cooler weather because I habitually wear a fleece. In warmer weather it is IWB because I'm just wearing a loose t-shirt.
Old June 9, 2021, 03:42 PM   #8
RETG

OWB at all times. A summer shirt fits over nicely and if becomes visible; no problem in any states I might be visiting.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old June 11, 2021, 06:23 PM   #9
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post

IWB is easier to conceal but can be uncomfortable and usually requires looser fitting pants

^^^^ This.

I only do OWB (always concealed) if I am outdoors in the mountains.

And I never ever open carry here in Colorado, whether I am in town or outdoors.
Old June 11, 2021, 07:45 PM   #10
JERRYS.

comfort vs. concealment. the universal struggle continues.
Old July 7, 2021, 10:13 AM   #11
Seedy Character

Tried IWB. Did not like.

OWB only. Carry a full size 1911, in a VersaCarry holster on a VersaCarry belly. Very comfortable and have no per with concealment.
Old July 7, 2021, 04:29 PM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post

^^^This^^^

Everything's a trade-off. It's comfort being traded for concealability, or the other way around.
Old July 7, 2021, 04:36 PM   #13
Brit

The Glock 19, in 9mm is one of the most carried pistols in the world. The magazines it comes with, standard, is 15 round capacity. Weighs a couple of pounds. Outside the belt at 3-30 Kydex holster. Under a Florida shirt.

A couple of must-have essentials are required add ons. First steel night sights. Glock factory-approved extended slide lock (release) manufactured by Glock.
With a little polishing of internal parts, my trigger weight is 4.5 lbs. Still not a perfect trigger, this is not a Colt 1911. Not essential, but makes for smoother magazine changes, on my Gen 4 the mag plug, flush fitting.

The Gen 4 model, when it was released, was a disaster! Introduced on this model, the dual encapsulated mainspring. It took months to make it work, now perfect. I have shot thousands of rounds of factory ammunition in IDPA matches, with one problem round. A factory round, a dud! Not the fault of the gun. Drove the 115g projectile halfway down the barrel.

The other side of the belt, a G17 spare magazine, and an incredible flashlight, a Surefire. The light sees more use than the pistol or the spare Mag!
Old July 24, 2021, 03:06 PM   #14
Brit

Let us say, just for a normal question. A retired old Guy, like me? Why not?
Been retired for many years. Living in Florida for 18 years. I had a CCL prior to arriving. So carried a Glock 19 for each year.

What is a common, practical rig? A frequent flier belt, Kydex outside the belt at 3-30PM. On offside, spare G17 magazine. Plus a SurFire Mil-Spec flashlight. Also in a hand-built magazine holster.

How you do that, buy a magazine pouch, made for Glock 19/17 for just $13.00 from Glock. Put the pouch into the sink, run the hottest water you can get from the hot tap on it.
Keep trying to force it into the mag pouch. Takes patience. When it fits, it is good to go.

Is not a gun mounted light better? Not according to me, a Police Officer searching a building is pointing a gun at everyone!

Plus you can have a great far from the body with the light. For returning shots. Light on the gun, shoot at the light, when it is mounted on the gun, it is a disaster.