The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2008, 12:53 PM   #1
abber

New powder

I am thinking about trying some Ramshot powders. Specifically, I am looking at True Blue, and Enforcer. If I like them, they would be used in .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .454 Casull, and S&W .460 Mag. Please give me your thoughts on these powders. I especially don't like dirty powders, which is why I don't use 296, Lil Gun, or 800X any more. My current preferences are IMR4227, Alliant Blue Dot, with Titegroup and Universal Clays being the powders of choice for lighter work. How do the Ramshot powders compare to these others? Any and all advice is very appreciated.
Old October 7, 2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Loader9

I haven't tried them yet and I'd like to but I'm not a fan of double based powders. Probably something in my younger years that makes me shy away from double based powders. There are plenty of others out there to try that are single based.
Old October 7, 2008, 10:26 PM   #3
D. Manley

Quote:
I am thinking about trying some Ramshot powders. Specifically, I am looking at True Blue, and Enforcer. If I like them, they would be used in .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .454 Casull, and S&W .460 Mag. Please give me your thoughts on these powders. I especially don't like dirty powders, which is why I don't use 296, Lil Gun, or 800X any more. My current preferences are IMR4227, Alliant Blue Dot, with Titegroup and Universal Clays being the powders of choice for lighter work. How do the Ramshot powders compare to these others? Any and all advice is very appreciated.
I can't help you with any specific data since I'm not presently loading any of those calibers but in my experience, Ramshot powders are top-notch. Silhouette (formerly WAP with flash supressant added) is one of my favorites in 9MM, measures great and has a very linear pressure curve. Some people (not me) have used it to push 115 grainers to 1440 FPS making major. Zip is very similar to W-231 or HP-38. I've only recently loaded some rounds with True Blue. All I can tell you so far is, its an extremely small grain and will flow like water through whatever you use. There are more and more competitive shooters using Competition in .45. I have a new jug and have yet to try it but will soon. Load data is scarce but I have a .PDF file emailed to me from Ramshot containing new data not yet added to their on-line resources. Its specific to .45 but if you have a need for it, PM me and I'll get you a copy.
Old October 7, 2008, 11:19 PM   #4
jdscholer

Single based vs double based? I guess I haven't been payin attention, but I'm not aware of the pros and cons of each. Or examples of each. Care to enlighten me? jd
Old October 8, 2008, 05:33 AM   #5
sourdough44

I like Ramshot & clean powders. I also use Hodgdon Universal in many lighter handgun loads. I use Ramshot TAC in the 223,22-250, & 204 Ruger. They sell the new Blackhorn 209 Muzzle loader propellant, of which I am a new convert.

I have not tried their other powders yet.
Old October 8, 2008, 11:53 AM   #6
abber

Double vs Single base

In today's economy, I am mainly thinking of cost cutting. The price is not important enough for me to sacrifice safety or performance. I know this question was already asked, but what are the pros and cons of single vs double base? I never really knew that there was a difference. Go figure, I've been loading my own for a very long time, and have tried many different powders along the way. I guess I could do some reverse research, and look at the particulars of the powders I have not liked vs the ones I have. You guys are the best source of experience anywhere, so give me more opinions on this, please.

I thank you, and my guns thank you.......AB