The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 29, 2023, 11:48 AM   #1
Bigdave2424

New Steyr L9 A2 MF 9mm pistol

I recently picked up a Steyr L9 A2 MF from Palmetto during one of their one day sales. I really like it. The build quality seems the equal of my HKs. It comes with a nice case and two 17 round all-metal magazines, which again seem very high quality.

I field stripped and lubricated the pistol prior to taking it to the range. (It came absolutely bone dry). Take down was very easy. I shot about 100 rounds of my reloads. No failures, slide locked back when it should. Quite accurate.

The beaver tail and trigger guard are undercut to allow a very high grip on the pistol. Controls are minimally sized so they don’t interfere with the grip at all. The grip texture is aggressive and helped ensure a firm grip.

It comes with three different backstraps and two different size side panels. Just had to use a punch to remove one pin to change them. For what it’s worth I ended up with the medium size backstrap and the more contoured side panels.

Perceived recoil is personal, but for me I found it recoiled quite a bit less than my CZ P10-C or HK VP9, both of which I like. Very impressed with that. (Yes, I know it’s a 9 mm so there is no recoil). I had no problem with the trapezoidal sights. They wouldn’t be my first choice, but they’re fine. I also had no problem with the much maligned trigger reset. It’s only faintly audible, but reset distance is quite short. Rapid fire was easy, the trigger pull is very short, and I never short stroked it.

I was able to order extra mags from Steyr USA for $20 each (on sale). Ordered a holster from Shadow Defensive. I’ll probably have Fabricated Arms mill the slide for an optic.

All in all I’m very impressed with this pistol. And the sales price made it a no-brainer for me. I assume they’ll eventually come out with an optics ready model, but I think it’s hard to beat this pistol at the current sales price.

Mandatory photo:

Old January 22, 2024, 12:36 AM   #2
DT Guy

I've always been tempted by those. Do they still have the odd lock on the right hand side?

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos