The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 7, 2024, 12:15 PM   #1
Gary H

CZ Shadow 2 Compact

This new offering doesn’t seem to be getting much love in that I haven’t found posts using the search tool.

Muddy River Tactical is now making an OWB Holster and Black Scorpion makes an IWB w/o claw. I’m sure there are many others, especially companies that make race holsters.

I am using a green MRS EPS via an Impact Machine Optics Plate.

Might use this concealed, but that would be after a few months of range use. Anyone else using other holsters…etc?

Last edited by Gary H; January 7, 2024 at 12:34 PM.
Old January 8, 2024, 09:02 PM   #2
chris in va

I have a Cajunized Shadow 2, it is strictly a range gun due to various modifications. All I can say is mine is HEAVY and if the Compact is slightly less weight there's no way I'd want to carry that brick, especially with a full mag on board. Even my P01 gets left home these days.

I see you're in Kali, are those legal there?
Old January 8, 2024, 09:09 PM   #3
Gary H

30oz (empty)

Never going back to California.

Last edited by Gary H; January 8, 2024 at 09:30 PM.
Old January 9, 2024, 05:58 AM   #4
armoredman

They are quite new - I haven't handled one, but a lucky guy on my forum won one for Christmas, hoping to hear how he likes it.
Old January 9, 2024, 10:21 PM   #5
wild cat mccane

It makes zero sense. It makes less sense given the costThat said. I might buy one when they come reasonable.

A comparison is the P226. Not many are buying or carrying those right now.

But the CZ Shadow line in a compact makes even less sense.

There is no actual decocker. On a carry gun. There is not firing pin safety.

Also, with a FPB, the P226/229 have a faster reset and lighter trigger than the Shadow.

This one...makes little sense for purpose.

I own 3 CZ Shadow 2s before someone says I hate CZ.
Old January 9, 2024, 10:36 PM   #6
Gary H

If you carry it cocked and locked, it would mimic many of the newer 2011s that no longer sport a grip safety. I will say that the contour and size of 2011 safeties are much better than the Shadow 2 compact. Perhaps, there is a more ergonomic aftermarket safety out there. I would not want a lighter carry trigger and the reset isn’t as good as some of my 1911’s, but it is respectable. Lack of a decocker for DA first shot does require some care and consistency and I can see wanting a decocker.
Old January 10, 2024, 12:24 AM   #7
chris in va

I think what he means is the lack of a FPB means it's not 'drop safe'. Lands on the hammer, it's gonna go off.
Old January 10, 2024, 01:17 AM   #8
TunnelRat

CZ Shadow 2 Compact

The CZ Firearms subreddit has a lot of threads about it, including a number of debates about the lack of a firing pin block. I’d suggest looking there for more information. For me the low profile nature of the safety makes it much less appealing than the 2011 I periodically carry, and while I can manually decock the pistol I’d rather a dedicated decocker at that point.
Old January 10, 2024, 02:15 AM   #9
wild cat mccane

Exactly.

The S2 was created specifically to make production. It is a game gun where you 100% need to start decocked...but there is no decocker.

So to put that "feature" on a light weight aluminum frame compact...? Methink you're just helping CZ along with product life cycle decline for updates.

Outside of the 2011, the S2 is the only modern double stack without a FPB. Walther SF series, Beretta X, P320 X, X-Five, Tanfoglio, etc. CZ SP-01 has one.

If you get a chance to fire a Legion or Elite Sig P series, you'll see that lack of FPB isn't required of all guns to have a better trigger. The Sig has a lighter trigger and I've not met a trigger faster than the Sig STR.

Again. Fine. I have 3 S2s. So I like them okay...but on this particular model, you have to want a clear built to a design flaw (no decocker, no FPB). It's an odd creature unless you want Single Action with second strike, but that wasn't the design to begin with.
Old January 10, 2024, 02:26 AM   #10
TunnelRat

My reservations aside, they do seem to be selling regardless (or at least the initial run seemed to sell out). I think to some extent that’s a function of a number of people seemingly wanting a DA/SA compact with an optic cut, which this has and isn’t widely available elsewhere (certain P229s do, but the P229 seems noticeably less svelte). At the same time if CZ sold a P-01 with an optic cut it would likely sell as well.
Old January 20, 2024, 07:51 PM   #11
Mosin44az

Honest Outlaw (YouTube) loves this gun, shoots it incredibly fast.