The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 27, 2023, 10:44 PM   #1
labnoti

Glock 48 or 43X alternatives?

What other handguns are available that are similar to the Glock 48 in size and width? I tried using handgunhero, but few guns on there have "end" photos showing the width. Width specs are sometimes misleading, because the Ruger Security 9 or P365 XMacro have a slim slide, but the grips are more full double-stack width.

To be more specific, I'm looking for pistols that have a slim grip but that are at least as long in the grip as a 43X or 48 -- not a 43 or 26 or Shield with the shorter grip. I'm pretty sure there are some Kahrs that would be this size. Also, the P365XL, maybe the Hellcat Pro. What else is there?
Old December 27, 2023, 11:04 PM   #2
TunnelRat

I don’t think a Macro should be that much wider than an XL.
Old December 28, 2023, 06:10 AM   #3
jetinteriorguy

Possibly a Ruger LC9s? Being a single stack the have a nice slim grip. Mine has been very accurate and 100% reliable for a few thousand rounds.
Old December 28, 2023, 08:37 AM   #4
PSP

Kahr makes the K9, T9, TP9 and P9 in that arena of size., plus a few other similar models.

Sprinfield Hellcat in any of their several variations.

HK is introducing a new slimmer compact pistol... soon we hope

The Shield qualifies.

Perhaps one of the small Caniks would suit your needs.

Last edited by PSP; December 28, 2023 at 09:01 AM.
Old December 28, 2023, 09:51 AM   #5
HighValleyRanch

I have a Samson Magwell fixed onto my shield, which makes it right into an Shield X size.
The 8 round 9mm mag fits flush without the sleeve and the Magwell really looks like part of the grip frame, not an add on sleeve.
Photo off net, not my own, but shows the same exact setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Samson Magwell .jpg (267.2 KB, 547 views)
Old December 28, 2023, 09:56 AM   #6
MarkCO

I've been happy with my Kahrs.
Old December 28, 2023, 10:04 AM   #7
wild cat mccane

A slight correction in your statement.

The P365 series all uses the same width grip and slide. Both are slimmer than the Glock slim single stacks.

So if you go from there, the Sig P series is slimmer, holds more, comes with night sights standard, has a near better than most trigger, has 10, 12, 15, and 17 rnd mags that all fit the smallest grip with "x grips" for all sizes in the factory box, grip swaps are done in 30 seconds....if you asked is there anything that is an alternative to the P365 that functionally bests the P365, the answer is no. Honestly, if Sig started over on the P365 idea with a different grip for the larger sized mags or introduced like the P320 grip S/M/L/X grips, I don't think the P320 has much reason to exist other than Sig was lazy and used the failed P250 as the base. I suppose it's heading that way with the new AXG/Legion P365.

Slides, FCU, and grips are interchangeable.

I have multiple P365 models and shoot a bit. The only complaint I have is the factory 15rnd mag for the 10 round frame is very poorly done, but it functions 100%. The factory "x grip" filler doesn't cover the back of the mag on the 15 round grip extender. The 15rnd mag on the 12rnd frame with factory grip extender doesn't have this issue.

If you buy a Sig p365 now, the current line up is all with a "P" in the sku and should be optics ready. The P365 without an optic mount is now old stock. The P365XL with an optic plate that has the sights attached is old stock.

I am not a Kahr believer after owning and shooting them a lot. I was heavy only in Kahrs for a long while with 3 CM9s, 2 PM9 (black and silver), PM40, and a P380. My PM40 and P380 were total train wrecks. Kahr's mag is just such a contresy, but for sure no one can challenge their construction at the back is high school welding class at best. Also, Kahr changed their mag followers, then didn't, then did, but never told the public. I think that's pretty shady. Their extended +1 mags have some people on the net saying they work, but the majority seems to agree they don't. If you care to follow this, google on your own to see.

The smallest 9mm on the market is the DiamondBack DB9. It is on gen4 and still a total failure. Do not buy. I have had all generations and all have major issues with the recoil assembly. DB9 generations have all been significant generational changes, not minor cosmetic. None have saved it. I want this model to work the most of all micro 9mms. It's truly the size of the LCP.

Not that it's impossible, but I think HK and Walther doing the P365 sized gun better just is very unlikely. I will be buying both if they can do it though.

Just one person's opinion

Last edited by wild cat mccane; December 28, 2023 at 10:24 AM.
Old December 28, 2023, 02:03 PM   #8
labnoti

That's a lot of helpful info, so I'm reluctant to start out arguing... but isn't the XMacro thicker at the base of the grip?

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...-sauer-p365-xl

I hadn't heard there was anything wrong with the Kahr. As a full-time revolver shooter, I like their DAO trigger, but I don't care for the company and never wanted to own one.
Old December 28, 2023, 02:28 PM   #9
jmr40

The Sig 365 with 12 round mags is what you're looking for.

Winston Churchill
Old December 28, 2023, 02:32 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by labnoti View Post
That's a lot of helpful info, so I'm reluctant to start out arguing... but isn't the XMacro thicker at the base of the grip?

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...-sauer-p365-xl

I hadn't heard there was anything wrong with the Kahr. As a full-time revolver shooter, I like their DAO trigger, but I don't care for the company and never wanted to own one.

When I shot them side by side to me the Macro has a bit more of a grip swell than say an XL, and you can see that on Handgun Hero. But we’re talking a very slight difference, and you see how slight that difference is by looking at them from the rear at your link. Compared to say a traditional compact like a Glock 19, for my hands there’s a noticeable slimness with an XMacro. If you can, handling them in person is often more informative than measures on paper. Everyone’s hands are slightly different and what one person perceived as noticeable others don’t.
Old December 28, 2023, 03:33 PM   #11
wild cat mccane

The XMacro is significantly wider as a percentage...from the P365 and P365XL at .1". https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-xmacro.html

At 1.1" for the XMacro and 1.06" width for the Glock slim...that's a much smaller percentage difference.

I owned the G43 briefly. Like TunnelRat said, you have to feel it. To me, the P365 is more contoured and the tang makes it very thin feeling--which it is. So even if the Glock were the same width as the P365Xl, they would not feel the same width. If you hate the thinness, Wilson has a thicker grip. And there is the new AXG grip. I think Craft Armory also has one...maybe others.

An alternative if you're stuck on width, the P365 mag with the 17rnd grip extension matches the width of the P365 and P365XL grip and not the Macro grip. I hadn't thought about that before, but it makes sense. The 17rnd mag extension piece needs to match the grip of the P and XL, not the Macro.

You can have an P regular or XL with the 17rnd mag and be technically slimmer than the XMacro grip. It's a realistic wash, but owning the 17rnd with the mag grip extender, I can confirm the 17rnd grip extension is slimmer than the Macro grip. I had never even thought of that until this thread.

My 17rnd mag for my regular P is the orange follower on the bottom

Last edited by wild cat mccane; December 28, 2023 at 03:38 PM.
Old December 29, 2023, 08:30 AM   #12
Dan-O

IWI Masada Slim comes to mind

Last edited by Dan-O; December 29, 2023 at 08:49 AM.
Old December 29, 2023, 05:23 PM   #13
FITASC

I have both the 365 and 365XL because they fit my hand a LOT better than my G26, 19, or 17
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 30, 2023, 11:41 PM   #14
jonnyc

You won't do better than a 43X with Shield 15 rnd. mags.
Old December 31, 2023, 01:24 PM   #15
FITASC

Unless you get the 365XL and a 17 round mag
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 31, 2023, 02:50 PM   #16
zoomie

Unless you get a Shield with a drum mag.

Old December 31, 2023, 05:29 PM   #17
dogtown tom

Quote:
jonnyc You won't do better than a 43X with Shield 15 rnd. mags.
Sure you can....a 43X with PSA 15 round mags.
-cheaper
-better reliability
-no need for a $30 mag catch that you can't use with factory mags

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 1, 2024, 10:08 AM   #18
NEPrepper

43x has to be the best carry pistol i've ever had
Old January 11, 2024, 10:04 PM   #19
DT Guy

I've got a 43, 48 with Shield 15 rounders, P365 and (just got) a P365XL.

The 48 was my main carry gun; it has an Apex trigger, Ghost connector, Dawson sights and the Shield mag release you need with their mags. Great gun, shoots very nicely-now.

365Xl out of the box has better sights, better trigger and more comfortable grip (that you can change if you prefer something different.) I'm not sure how Glock is still selling guns at this point, to be honest; there's no comparison.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old January 12, 2024, 10:03 PM   #20
dogtown tom

Quote:
DT Guy

365Xl out of the box has better sights, better trigger and more comfortable grip (that you can change if you prefer something different.) I'm not sure how Glock is still selling guns at this point, to be honest; there's no comparison.
I see far more G43X and 48's than 365XL's.

I think partly because the 365XL runs about $150-$200 more than a 43X/48.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE