The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 5, 2024, 04:22 AM   #26
chadio

Tippmann Arms

https://tippmannarms.com/shop-all/firearms/m4-22-rifle/
Old March 5, 2024, 08:31 AM   #27
stuckinthe60s

read my blog, choose one, enjoy!
https://www.rugerforum.com/threads/l...ndards.288250/
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old March 5, 2024, 11:37 PM   #28
cdoc42

My Winchester Model 69A is 66 years old and still shoots as accurately as my younger Anshutz target .22, depending on the cartridge each prefers. Handguns, my Ruger Mark III with a red dot beats my S&W .22 Mag (.22 LR/.22 Jet).
Old March 6, 2024, 09:26 AM   #29
Prof Young

Ruger Charger on the way . . .

Bartered for a used Ruger Charger at the LGS yesterday. Can pic it up on Friday. Need to find a scope. Will let you know what I think.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old March 6, 2024, 04:05 PM   #30
Adventurer 2

Thumbs up on the Charger purchase. I bought mine back when the original wood stocked one came out. Put a 4X pistol scope on it. Then put a 1-4 rifle scope on it. Eventually red dots became popular and i put one of those on it -- prefer that to the other two choices as i don't have to worry about the distance of my eye from the optic. I can hit empty coke cans at 100 yards with the red dot (good enough for me). I used that bipod and pistol grip for years -- during covid i started shooting a lot more 22LR and tinkering with my firearms. Replaced the wood stock with frame from Palmetto State Armory and ordered a pistol brace from SB Tactical -- i never could have imagined how much fun the Charger is with the brace and red dot. I don't think i'll ever buy a binary trigger for the Charger but i can imagine that it would be even more fun with one -- i just don't have a use for the binary trigger. Enjoy your Charger. I also own a 10/22 so it was nice having magazines i can share.
Old March 11, 2024, 01:36 AM   #31
V-fib

If you can find one, Rossi Circuit Judge Convertable .22lr/.22 mag SA/DA revolver rifle. Fun to shoot and may I add very accurate. I topped mine with a red dot. I shoot it mostly .22lr since I have a large stockpile of it.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...+22+lr+mg+blue
Old March 11, 2024, 01:41 AM   #32
V-fib

I also have a Ruger Charger with a brace and bugbuster scope, It's fun to shoot but can be a jam-o matic with Federal bulk so I clean it often.
Old March 17, 2024, 11:22 AM   #33
liverty_balants

A Small Revolver With a 6" barrel.

I have too many 22lr guns, all semi-auto.

The NAA Hogleg has always been on my wish list.
Old March 17, 2024, 12:51 PM   #34
Shodan

Does any particular aspect of shooting excite you more than others? Accuracy, plinking, volume of fire?

Maybe put together a hunting rig and get out for some varmint and small game hunting.
Old March 17, 2024, 01:22 PM   #35
Prof Young

We love our 22s don't we . . .

This has been a fun thread. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm thinking about an AR in 22 cal but I'm not sure you can even own one in IL anymore. I have two semi auto 22 rifles and enjoy both of them. I think one of the things about a good 22 is that you can have a good time at the range and it doesn't break the bank. I lusted after a little Beretta 22 that only shot 22 shorts. Kinda rare and this one, in an action, was all glitzed up. But it went for far more than I was willing to pay.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old March 17, 2024, 02:17 PM   #36
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverty balants
The NAA Hogleg has always been on my wish list.
Some of the NAA pistols look interesting, but I can't make myself warm up to the lack of a trigger guard -- even on long barreled versions such as this.

And the prices are more than what I'm willing to pay for what would essentially be (for me -- YMMV) a toy.
Jeepaholic
Old March 17, 2024, 02:27 PM   #37
FrankenMauser

Nah. The NAAs are worth it.
Lack of trigger guard doesn't matter, since they're single action and have hammer notches in the cylinders.
I've paid far more for other "toys", like my Martini-Henry.

Pick one up. You'll like it.
They're more fun than a staple gun and a bag of hamsters.
Old March 17, 2024, 04:42 PM   #38
2wheelwander

For me, if I were to buy a new .22 it would be a CZ bolt.

Even at that, my Marlin 39A is hands down one of the best and most fun guns I've ever shot, mine or others. That lever is glass smooth and its incredibly accurate (Mine also has Lymans sights). They made tons of them and finding one in great shape isn't hard, which also means they aren't $1k++. Whenever I go to the range, that is one that ALWAYS goes with me.
Old March 17, 2024, 08:46 PM   #39
georgehwbush

cdoc42 yeah: those old winchester 22's were hard to beat. my mothers 80+ year old pump action 22 out shoots my new ruger american bolt 22 with every ammo i've tested in them both.
Old March 18, 2024, 01:35 PM   #40
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young View Post
I have way too much 22lr in the ammo closet. (Yeah I know you can never have too much.) I want to shoot more 22lr and want one more 22lr gun that is way fun to shoot. I already have . . .

Walter PPK 22
Heritage revolver
Mossberg Plinkster
Ruger 10/22
Henry lever
Ruger Mark III

I used to have an NAA black widow and am thinking about getting that again. I've owned 22 cal autos in almost every make and model. I've also owned a variety of 22 auto long guns . . . marlin and savage and others.

In your opinion, what is the most fun 22 to shoot. Long gun or handgun.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Given what you have, and the fact that you live in IL, I have some reservations about what you can legally own. With that said, I'll suggest the following:
1. Ruger American Rimfire - Over the last few years, I've come to appreciate a nice bolt gun. I have a couple (one standard, one Target) of these and wouldn't mind having a couple more. They use the 10/22 magazine, of which you probably already have a couple on hand.
2. A CZ - I don't have one, but they get a lot of good chatter over on RFC. Also, the guys I've talked to that do have them absolutely love them.
3. Marlin Model 60 - I need to get to work on restoring mine, but these are also very popular. And I suspect the tube barrel keeps it off the Naughty List in IL.
Old March 18, 2024, 02:01 PM   #41
gwpercle

I'm going to suggest ... the S&W model 617 - 10 shot - Target Revolver

You don't seem to have a Target revolver and the model 617 is a fine one ...
Have a Target Trigger job done by Clark Custom Guns , put on it ... and when you go shooting ... it will put a Smile on your Face and a Song in your Heart ...
Gary
Old March 19, 2024, 11:13 PM   #42
cdoc42

"cdoc42 yeah: those old winchester 22's were hard to beat. my mothers 80+ year old pump action 22 out shoots my new ruger american bolt 22 with every ammo i've tested in them both."

You got it, Bush. And my experience includes my failure as a youngster to clean my Model 69A even as remotely as I should have!!!
Old March 21, 2024, 09:28 AM   #43
bamaranger

others

For a pure range/fun .22, seems like the various replica rifles like the stg-45 or the Mosin, or even a micro 1911 would be a hoot. There is also a .22 scout rifle with a straight-pull bolt. Another fun and classy straight pull would be the Browning T-bolt.

I read there is a .22 gatling......for lots of cash.
Old March 21, 2024, 10:09 AM   #44
Jim Watson

Get something NICE instead of cute or gimmicky.
A good bolt action rifle is never obsolete, but I am shooting mostly pistols these days.
I really like my Nelson Conversion (on the frame of my least often used .45) for 1911ish practice, but I get better accuracy from my S&W M41. My elderly High Standard is probably even more accurate but they are finicky as to magazine choice and adjustment.
Old March 21, 2024, 11:28 AM   #45
skywag

Old March 21, 2024, 04:35 PM   #46
darkgael

Straight pull bolt…..mine was my retirement present to myself…Anschutz 1827 Fortner bolt. Pricey. If I had not bought it then, I would not afford it now. Worth every penny.Ninety-five percent of Olympic Biathlon competitors use the Anschutz.
Great fun for us old guys too.
https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com...F_Comfort.html
Old March 21, 2024, 06:42 PM   #47
2wheelwander

Winchester model 52 also needs a solid mention. When I was a kid I learned to thread the hole of fender washers with one. Phenomenal guns
Old March 22, 2024, 01:05 PM   #48
bamaranger

adult .22

Well yeah, the Mosin, STG are indeed gimmicky, but I suspect still fun if not all that practical. While I'm at it, I will declare that all serious shooters need a good .22, really, two good .22's, rifle and handgun. I call those guns "adult .22's". The .22lr is still the best deal shot for shot in ammo, allowing for quiet, affordable practice.

What's an adult .22? Good trigger, good sights, and will last a couple of lifetimes. On the rifle, full size stock and weight to approach the feel of a centerfire sporter. Mine is (are) a Ruger 77/22 and a Ruger MkII standard 4" model. The 77/22 is w/o question the firearm that I have shot the most in my assortment, mechanically reliable and with a tweak....good trigger. Add a Leupold rimfire scope, and all the boxes are checked for a rifle.

The MKII is a bit of a flyweight and ideally a HB model would likely better suit. But my standard model came with such a wonderful trigger right from the start that I've kept it all these years. Feeds and functions with nearly any ammo, and more accurate than I am.

Regrettably the 10/22 trigger is deplorable with out a lot of work these days. In it's common carbine version, a bit of a flyweight also. That all can be fixed, but at additional cost. I'd mentioned the T-bolt in a previous post and have always wanted one. The Browning SA22 is a candidate but again a bit of a lightweight. I've got a Savage MkII HB that might qualify, but the magazines are junk and it is not reliable. The old Remington Fieldmaster pump is adult sized, but again, the trigger leaves alot to be desired. The Henry levers are a hoot, acceptable triggers, can be scoped, but I wish they were a pound heavier. Not to say any of the above are not fun rifles, they are, just not quite fully mature.
Old March 22, 2024, 05:59 PM   #49
stagpanther

Quote:
A CZ - I don't have one, but they get a lot of good chatter over on RFC. Also, the guys I've talked to that do have them absolutely love them.
Oh yeah baby--I'm one of them that loves them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0989.jpg (161.9 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; March 22, 2024 at 06:12 PM.
Old March 23, 2024, 03:45 AM   #50
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I like the old stuff as my state (looks like you may have similar problem) won't allow me to have modern dangerous looking tools.

Two of my favorite rifle plinkers are Remington 552 & Remington 572. Old but a lot of fun and a Marlin 60 too.

Also enjoy my Ruger Standard and any of the modern variants.

If you want to spend a few+ buck$ more, the ultimate IMO is a S&W Model 41.

To enhance your fun IMO, have plenty of mags preloaded before you get to the range. With 4 or 5+ mags ready to go I can enjoying a lot of shooting, then take a break to load them up again.

It's a great way to burn into your overstocked closet of ammo.

Whatever your choice, I'm sure you will have fun!