The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 7, 2009, 01:31 PM   #51
comn-cents

Does anyone really think that a brush of any kind is going to bite into the bore? Really, you shoot a hard object (jacketed bullet) out of the barrel at 3000 fps. You think a brush is going to hurt it? REALLY!
Old May 7, 2009, 02:15 PM   #52
Orlando

It may make fine scratches but I honestly dont see how its going to effect accuracy. At the same time I wouldnt make a habit of reversing the brush in mid barrel
Old May 7, 2009, 02:45 PM   #53
doobie

If the barrel is >16" cut it down to 16". If it is 16, get a AR pistol lower and cut it to 7.5". Cut carefully to ensure you don't also cut through the bore snake.
Old May 7, 2009, 03:15 PM   #54
davlandrum

Quote:
The Bore Snake has a hand loop on the end which was designed to stop at the breech, and then be pulled back out using the hand loop.
This is the part that keeps confusing me. This is not the way any bore snake I have ever seen works. Of course, I may not have seen them all...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old May 8, 2009, 08:53 AM   #55
F. Guffey

Yes seems like a conflict with reversing directions and turning the bristles on one hand and the ideal the snake is directional, it goes in one end and out the other, then there is the loop. I can not say I have ever seen one, I have seen barrels being cleaned with what looked like dusters, I did not ask because I was not curious.. As I said I make my own version of a bore snake, it is imposable (for me) to get it stuck.

Pounding with the ideal nothing dynamic is going on. If an object is stuck and pounding does not move the object consider the stuck object when pounded is upsetting (expanding), in the rest of the world this expanding and pounding would increase the diameter of the hole (bore), except guns, guns have an exemption? to abuse. After all a bullet traveling down the barrel does the barrel no harm, how could pounding harm it.

F. Guffey
Old May 8, 2009, 09:43 AM   #56
JWT

Have seen several threads concerning bore snakes that were stuck in barrels. Don't ever recall seeing the outcome or solution to getting one out. Would appreciate it if Sky could post what the gunsmith used to remove the snake from the barrel - assuming it was eventually removed.
Old May 8, 2009, 10:00 AM   #57
SkySlash

Once I get the gun back, I'll definitely post what he did to get the snake out of the barrel.

-SS
There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:52 AM   #58
Scorch

This thread reminds me of a 3 Stooges skit. People can come up with more Rube Goldberg ways to accomplish something easy than I thought possible. I think gunsmiths ought to charge more for their work.
Old May 12, 2009, 05:16 PM   #59
Bosshoff

Davlandum

Yeah, this makes no sense. "Boresnake" brand bore snakes get pulled all the way though the bore. In one end, out the other. None of them have a looped handle which will pull through the bore. I have 5 or 6 of them, the ends are spliced into a loop, and go right through no problem.
Old May 18, 2009, 01:10 PM   #60
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Any updates yet?
Brent
Old May 18, 2009, 08:32 PM   #61
muzzelblast

Quote:
"Boresnake" brand bore snakes get pulled all the way though the bore. In one end, out the other. None of them have a looped handle which will pull through the bore. I have 5 or 6 of them, the ends are spliced into a loop, and go right through no problem.
Correct . They are to be pulled straight through - completely - and not back and forth.

The poster who thinks bronze brushes will not dimple bores when reversed has apparently not had access to a bore scope. Here's an experiment for you. Take a flat piece of good steel and a pencil with a rubber eraser. Place the steel on a table and over a period of 15-20 minutes just raise the pencil several inches and, using your fingers as a guide, drop the pencil and let the rubber eraser bounce off the steel. Let the eraser hit the same spot repeatedly and then look at the steel plate with a good magnifying glass or low power misroscope. You will see a crater froming where the eraser was landing. Wind can drive a piece of broom straw deeply into or through an oak tree. Seems to defy physics but it does happen.

PS: The instructions that come with bore brushes and bore snakes state DO Not Reverse Direction with the brush in the bore. That is for a reason.
Old May 19, 2009, 05:39 AM   #62
darkgael

bore brush

Quote:
The instructions that come with bore brushes and bore snakes state DO Not Reverse Direction with the brush in the bore. That is for a reason.
I'm pretty sure that the reason is because of the structure of the brush more than anything else. If I reverse a "normal" bore brush, it will get stuck. There are other brass bore brushes, such as muzzleloader bore brushes, which can be reversed without sticking.
Pete
Old May 19, 2009, 07:11 AM   #63
muzzelblast

Quote:
There are other brass bore brushes, such as muzzleloader bore brushes, which can be reversed without sticking
Worn brushes and/or undersized brushes will reverse fairly easily in a barrel as well. However, new brushes can be a problem. Even when they do roll over after reversing them in the bore it bends the bristles and the brush is no longer as effective. Also, most bronze is tougher, harder, and stiffer than brass.
Old May 19, 2009, 07:39 AM   #64
Homer03

Notch A Cleaning Rod

If you cut a notch in a rod (like the nock of an arrow) and sharpen the edges you can twist and cut and tear the thing out a few threads at a time. It will take awhile but does the trick. Had to do it when i was 13 and the string broke leaving a patch in a rifle. A snake is alot more junk but i expect patience is all it will take. Obviously-some measures to protect the rifling is helpfull.
Old June 3, 2009, 01:48 PM   #65
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Any new info on this?
Brent
Old June 3, 2009, 01:51 PM   #66
MuscleGarunt

It's just God punishing you for using a bore snake.
Old June 4, 2009, 06:54 PM   #67
Alleykat

Probably the same snake that doomed Adam and Eve!!
Old June 5, 2009, 02:01 PM   #68
SkySlash

Still at the gunsmith... He doesn't think he can get it out without harming the barrel. I'm probably going to pick it up and try to use MEK on it. I'm out of any other ideas.

-SS
There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
Old June 5, 2009, 02:49 PM   #69
JWT

Has anyone ever contacted the manufactures of the 'snakes' and see if they have any recommendations for removing them if they get stuck in a barrel?
Old June 5, 2009, 06:24 PM   #70
SDC

Along homer's idea, it would probably be easiest to make a worm out of a twisted wire brush, on a cleaning rod; most of these are made from wire that has been twisted with bronze bristles in between the two main wire strands of the brush. if you were to cut the brush off at the tip, you could unwind the main wire strands and sharpen the ends to make a worm of sorts, but you would still have to work at it for a while to get enough out to grab it with some pliers.
Old June 6, 2009, 11:36 AM   #71
SkySlash

JWT: I did call the manufacturer about a month ago, and after a few of their guys conferred, they suggested I take it to a gunsmith. They had no suggestions.

In better news, the smith just called me and said he has it out and the barrel is ready for pickup!!!!!

I'll ask him how he did it and share once I know.

-SS
Old June 6, 2009, 11:40 AM   #72
rocket12

now, make a note to yourself " I will NEVER use a boresnake again"
Old June 6, 2009, 12:19 PM   #73
BillM

Quote:
The bore snake was the right size for the barrel. Yes the string is broken off. The problem is that the bore snake got pulled too far into the barrel.

Well---ah---now I'm REALLY confused. I thought a bore snake was a
"pull through" system.
Old June 6, 2009, 12:19 PM   #74
claymore1500

Quote:
Take a flat piece of good steel and a pencil with a rubber eraser. Place the steel on a table and over a period of 15-20 minutes just raise the pencil several inches and, using your fingers as a guide, drop the pencil and let the rubber eraser bounce off the steel. Let the eraser hit the same spot repeatedly and then look at the steel plate with a good magnifying glass or low power misroscope. You will see a crater froming where the eraser was landing.
Come on!!! With that logic, How could anyone drive a car for more than a couple of months, The wind and airborne debris would errode the car away.

While I have to agree that just because the brass is softer than the steel, I know that if you use a brass hammer on a piece of steel, you can mark the steel, but concider that you are exerting a lot of force when pounding with a hammer.
Old June 6, 2009, 01:03 PM   #75
comn-cents

I'm using one right now!