The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 1, 2015, 11:58 PM   #1
focodude

Observations re: Glock 43 and Kahr PM9

I've had a Kahr PM9 for 4 years now. I bought it because, at the time, it was the closest thing to a Glock single stack 9 that was available. I've shot around 900 rounds through the PM9 and have fount it to be very reliable and easy to conceal. I pocket carry the PM9 in an Alabama pocket holster and Desantis "Super Fly" pocket holster.

A few weeks ago I bought a blue label Glock 43 for $359. So far I've shot around 100 rounds through the Glock with no problems. I've started pocket carrying the Glock 43 in a Desantis "Super Fly" pocket holster.

Here are my current observations re: the Glock 43 and Kahr PM9:

-I prefer the Glock 43 trigger over the PM9. With the PM9 I have to really concentrate on maintaining my sight picture during the long trigger pull.

-The Glock 43 has around a .5" longer barrel length than the PM9. This doesn't sound like much, but compared to the PM9, the Glock 43 feels like a much bigger gun when I hold it and shoot it. For me, the Glock 43 is easier to shoot than the PM9. I can shoot the PM9 well but I need to concentrate more on 1) my grip to keep the gun from bouncing around and 2) my trigger control due to the longer trigger pull.

-The Kahr is significantly smaller and easier to conceal in a pocket holster. I can put the Glock 43 in a pocket holster, but its not as easy to do as the PM9.

I have 9 Glocks and am familiar with the Glock manual of arms, etc... I wondered if I'd sell the PM9 after I got the Glock 43. The difference in size between the PM9 and Glock 43 is significant enough to me that I plan on keeping both guns. Both guns have their advanages. The PM9 is easier for me to conceal in a pocket holster than the Glock 43. The Glock 43 is easier for me to shoot.
Old August 2, 2015, 05:28 AM   #2
Skeets
Member in memoriam

After all is said and done,IMHO a Glock is still very hard to beat.
Old August 2, 2015, 06:29 AM   #3
drobs

If you are going to continue to pocket carry, I'd recommend you look into one of these trigger guard holsters for your Glock:
http://www.themicholster.com/store_holster.php

You have to be real careful carrying a Glock in soft holster.

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/fi...al-discharges/
Old August 2, 2015, 08:00 AM   #4
RUT

>>I wondered if I'd sell the PM9 after I got the Glock 43.<<

I went through the same debate, but ended up trading my PM9 towards the G43. I was never a big fan of the Kahr "double action" trigger (although it was smooth) and much prefer that of the Glock. So, out went the PM9 and in came the G43. The only mods I've made to the G43 are the addition of Truglow TFX sights and Tractiongrips. So far I have no regrets.

YMMV
Old August 2, 2015, 12:50 PM   #5
Quentin2

Drobs, thanks for the tip on the Glock trigger guard holster! I had already decided not to replace my Kahr and LC9S with a G43

BUT... I already have a G26 that sure would be smaller in a pocket with that trigger guard. Don't know if I'd actually use it as a pocket gun but definitely worth some thought.
Old August 2, 2015, 08:49 PM   #6
DanTSX

Smaller isn't always better.

You need size for reliability and shootability. The race to micro 9's is a fools game that Glock wisely did not play except by their own rules.

The G43 is a good compromise, but I still think it's too small. I wanted a bisected Glock 19.
Old August 3, 2015, 10:13 PM   #7
stormyone

I love the PM9. But I also was hoping for a slim Glock 19.
Old August 5, 2015, 02:48 AM   #8
RsqVet

I am not a kahr fan. At all. Look at the lock up surfaces on the Kahr vs. the Glock around the barrel hood. One has a lot more metal and will last a lot longer
Old August 5, 2015, 02:23 PM   #9
GEARHEAD_ENG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RsqVet View Post
I am not a kahr fan. At all. Look at the lock up surfaces on the Kahr vs. the Glock around the barrel hood. One has a lot more metal and will last a lot longer
Do you think the average shooter would ever wear either one out? There are members over one the Kahrtalk forum with over 30k rounds on their PM9 and still going strong. That's beyond what most guys will ever put down range out of one gun.
Old August 7, 2015, 05:52 PM   #10
UncleLoodis

I had a PM9...sold it. I didn't like the long trigger pull, and it had failure to feed issues (after the ~300 round break-in). Honestly, I just didn't trust it to function. It was quite accurate, but if a gun is 100% reliable, then I won't use it for a carry gun.

I just bought a G43 a few weeks ago, and love it to death. The only thing I would change is the the trigger pull. I haven't used a trigger scale yet, but it is very stout. The thing that I like about the trigger though, as with all Glocks, is the quick reset (short stroking). I'm hitting a 6" steel plate at 30 yards, so it's more than accurate enough for what I want to use it for (concealed carry).

I suppose you could carry both, use one as a BUG?

U.L.
Old August 9, 2015, 12:02 PM   #11
CDW4ME

I have a Kahr PM9 and Glock 43.
They are the same height with flush magazines.
The Glock 43 is about 1/2'' longer than the PM9.
Depending on holsters, the difference in length can be mitigated. (pictured)
The 43 produced slightly greater velocities (5 shot averages)

Kahr PM9:
Speer Gold Dot 115 @ 1,092 fps / 305# KE
Remington HTP 115 +P @ 1,105 fps / 312# KE
Federal HST 124 +P @ 1,120 fps / 345# KE

Glock 43:
Speer Gold Dot 115 @ 1,100 / 309# KE
Remington HTP 115 +P @ 1,122 fps / 322# KE
Federal HST 124 +P @ 1,135 fps / 355# KE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glock 43c.jpg (151.1 KB, 333 views)

Tags
g43 , glock , kahr , pm9