The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 29, 2020, 05:04 PM   #1
gaseousclay

Mauser rifles

What do you gents think of Mauser rifles? I'm talking about the current iteration of Mauser rifles, not the pre-1945 versions. I gotta say, they make some nice looking bolt-action rifles. Outta my price range, unfortunately, but dang i'd love to own one.

How do you rate Mausers to say, the Winchester Model 70, Kimber or even Sako?
Old September 30, 2020, 10:12 AM   #2
stagpanther

I'd recommend a model 70--close enough.
Old September 30, 2020, 10:23 AM   #3
Nathan

I love mauser rifles. The model 70 is an improvement in many ways.

It would be great to see a modern mauser with the straight bolt handle, rear lug, double square bridge with integral base, maybe pop up rear peep sight, CRF, blade ejector, 3 position striker safety .....

The weakness are the triggers as I understand it, so maybe add a Remington 700 trigger!

Model 70 is pretty good too!
Old September 30, 2020, 10:44 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

Modern (and classic) Mausers are unnecessarily heavy.
With modern materials, there is no need to have that much steel in an action.
Between receiver, bolt, bottom metal, and trigger, you're often looking at an action that is 4+ lb. Some 'same plane square bridge' variants are over 5 lb for just the action.

A heavy action can have its place. But the Mausers don't *need* to be heavy. It is vestigial material, a byproduct of a time with inferior steels and infantile materials science.

Most are nice actions, and machined better than the classic government contracts. But the weight is unnecessary.

That said, it is my favorite action 'style'. Add a 3-position 'wing' safety, and I'm pretty happy until I start dragging the rifle up and down mountains.
Old September 30, 2020, 12:27 PM   #5
Drm50

I just sold a Sears M-50 made in Belgium 98. Rifle is in very nice shape and for the price of these new entry level rifles is a real deal. There are a lot of commercial rifles that were imported in 50s thru 70s built on Mauser actions. Many of these rifles sold for less than a Win 70 or Rem 700. I know I would rather have one of these rifles than a lot of the stuff they are pawning off as rifles today. Back in 70s Interarms had CZ and they were cheaper than American makes, except maybe Savage 110 which was a second class rifle in those days.
Old September 30, 2020, 02:55 PM   #6
Scorch

Mauser sporting rifles are beautiful and pricey. Several times the cost of a Weatherby, Winchester, or Remington.
Quote:
Back in 70s Interarms had CZ
No, they didn't. Interarms imported rifles from Zastava (Zavodje Cragujevac) and they marked their rifles with an interlocked ZC that looked a little like the current CZ logo. But back in the 1970s, firearms from what we now know as CZ were imported under the BRNO name.
Quote:
except maybe Savage 110 which was a second class rifle in those days.
Still is. They're pretty much the same now as back then. They're good shooters, but about as attractive as a mud fence. Lowest quality "walnut" I've ever seen, and they look like a box of spare parts. They were and are economy rifles.
Quote:
It would be great to see a modern mauser with the straight bolt handle, rear lug, double square bridge with integral base, maybe pop up rear peep sight, CRF, blade ejector, 3 position striker safety .....
The weakness are the triggers as I understand it, so maybe add a Remington 700 trigger!
Mauser still makes the 98, it's their iconic traditional rifle. Mauser rifles have gone through a lot of designs over the years, but they still have the classic. Mauser triggers were not particularly bad, but adding a trigger from a different model that got the company sued multiple times would NOT be a good idea.
Old September 30, 2020, 03:22 PM   #7
hooligan1

I have 6 Mauser rifles today,in my stable. Only on under 8 lbs loaded and scoped.
They make great project actions for the tinkerer that is decent with metal working hand tools.
I have always swapped the original trigger with a Timney of one type or another, that helps.
When they're properly customized, they are some of the most dependable actions ever made, and very accurate usually.
I have a friend in Sedona Arizona, his business is building fabulous rifles, and they get quite expensive.
Piper Rifles is his Company name.
The local (to me) Gunsmith I've had build a few rifles from Mauser actions quit because of the ITAR, and that was quite a blow to me, he did very good work, as the two he built for me shoot so well, and he was only 25 min away.
Each custom I've had built has my touch somewhere in it, a little more as I progressed metal working wise, and stock work.......they are so fun to work on and shoot.
Old September 30, 2020, 04:01 PM   #8
Don Fischer

I had a Parker-Hale 1200 back in the 70's and it was a very nice rifle. The complaints about todays rifle's are to me bogus. Why in the world would a company sell a junk product. Now entry level is a different dog. Might be entry level and lacking what the premium rifles have to offer, but I strongly suspect that with proper care they will ast as long as any rifle. The bottom line being proper care. And of course they mostly don't look as nice and have lower grade stock's and finish but that's what your paying for. My 700 ADL's were entry level and have had one about 20 yrs now and the other 30yrs, both still look fine! My Mossberg Partiot's aren't near that old and there are thing's about them I wonder about but fact is they do a fine job and mine have wood stocks and look good doing it in my opinion. If you don't like my rifle's I don't give a rats patoose, I could afford them and they are doing the job!
Old October 1, 2020, 05:43 PM   #9
Paul B.

All my serious hunting rifles are based on Mauser actions, Mostly FNs but a few Oberndorfs and DWMs in the group.
Paul B.
Old October 2, 2020, 08:01 AM   #10
jmhyer

If it's Mauser-based action that interests you, then consider checking out the Ruger M77.
Old October 2, 2020, 09:57 AM   #11
Nathan

Anybody do a custom off the Dumoulin Mauser actions from SARCO?
Old October 2, 2020, 02:21 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Several of us have built rifles with the Dumoulin actions.
They're a little rough.
They're fairly heavy.
The triggers that Sarco packed with them range from "okay" to absolute garbage. It was a cheap design with no quality control.

Whomever "fitted" the crap triggers ground the sear lug on the cocking piece (poorly), which often requires rework and may necessitate replacement in some cases.
Because of the ground sear lug changing the striker location when cocked, the cocking pieces were also attacked with a grinder to get the safety to engage in a new location. Short of building back up with Tig and re-heat treating, the cocking pieces usually can't be saved.

Cocking piece replacement is usually necessary. But, the tail of the firing pins have been oversized on mine, as well as several other builders. So, you still have to modify the replacement cocking piece or turn down the firing pin tail.

Some people have gotten actions with okay triggers, and safeties that engage properly with the slot ground by the monkey with a grinder. It's ugly, it's wrong, and it irritate me. But some people have lower standards. If that is the case, and you're okay with it, then be happy.

But you still have to screw on ugly Weaver bases, machine the receiver to take better off the shelf bases, machine your own bases, or fork over a chunk of change for the special rings (Sunny Hill, ~$400+; or euro, $200-$1000 + applicable fees and shipping)

If you want to build on a virgin action from scratch, and customize as you go, they're okay.
If you want a turn-key commercial Mauser action to screw a barrel into and drop in a stock, it's not the right tree to be barking up.
Old October 2, 2020, 03:23 PM   #13
aarondhgraham

"Modern (and classic) Mausers are unnecessarily heavy. "

I'll attest to that,,,
My vintage es340b .22 single-shot,,,
Is one of the heaviest dang rifles that I own.

Dang but it shoots nice though.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 2, 2020, 04:22 PM   #14
std7mag

You people are aware that Mauser makes 3 models of rifles, right?!

From what i remember the M18 is actually affordable.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old October 3, 2020, 01:49 AM   #15
Scorch

Quote:
Several of us have built rifles with the Dumoulin actions.
Count me in that group as well.
Quote:
They're a little rough.
Yeah, a little. But not as bad as some of the Zastava Mausers I have worked with. 10 minutes with a few sheets of wet/dry paper smoothed it right out, though. Best thing, though, was they are tighter than an old war horse 98.
Quote:
They're fairly heavy.
Yes, they are, The heavier wall on the magazine, and the Oberndorf style floorplate probably weigh twice what a military mauser parts weigh. The receiver rings are thicker due to the European dovetail scope mount system. And the receiver is heavier since it is .040" larger in diameter than a military Mauser. That sure made it fit nice and tight into that Richards AAA English walnut stock, though. But they are a shining example of a new M98 action.
Quote:
The triggers that Sarco packed with them range from "okay" to absolute garbage. It was a cheap design with no quality control.
I put a Timney in mine right off the bat. I don't trust the cheap standard adjustable triggers on Mausers anyway. Zastavas were really no better.
Quote:
You people are aware that Mauser makes 3 models of rifles, right?!
Down to 3 now that the 03 has been discontinued. The 12 and the 18 are the "modern" offerings. M98s are not in vogue, I've read they can't be used in many European countries due to hunting safety regulations requiring the safety to decock the action.
Quote:
Why in the world would a company sell a junk product.
For the same reason people BUY cheap junk guns. Money.
Old October 3, 2020, 08:20 AM   #16
Nathan

@Scorch, it sounds like you would recommend a Dumoulin Mauser for a modern Mauser project.

I get that it would definitely need a Timney and likely some truing. If I clean up rough spots with sanding/filing, it sounds like a winner.

My biggest worry is I will buy something poorly fit that needs excessive work or worse welding to make it serviceable.

I was planning on the Sunny Hill rings, but am a bit worried they are slowing down or stopping production.

On the other hand, my next rifle will likely be a Bighorn or other custom action.
Old October 3, 2020, 03:29 PM   #17
Scorch

Quote:
Scorch, it sounds like you would recommend a Dumoulin Mauser for a modern Mauser project.
Definitely.

Last edited by Scorch; October 3, 2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old October 3, 2020, 03:57 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

As mentioned by Scorch, the receiver ring is massive. In standard width stocks designed for Model 98s and most commercial actions, it doesn't leave much wood on the sides. So, you may want to consider a stock that's a bit wider around the action.
Old October 3, 2020, 07:31 PM   #19
FITASC

Look at a Sauer 404 for a nice rifle most likely out of your price range; hell, the takedown carrying case is $700 by itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnoaMcHn10k
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 4, 2020, 09:39 AM   #20
4V50 Gary
Staff

I like the K98k (even the sporterized ones).
Old October 4, 2020, 12:25 PM   #21
eastbank

me too.
Old October 7, 2020, 09:10 AM   #22
BoogieMan

Are the modern Mauser and Sauer rifles one in the same? At least some models.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old October 8, 2020, 12:01 AM   #23
Scorch

Quote:
Are the modern Mauser and Sauer rifles one in the same?
No.
Old October 8, 2020, 03:32 PM   #24
Paul B.

If I were planning to do another build, I'd look for a JC. Higgins M50 FN Mauser and not look back. Two of my builds have been based on those rifles at a reasonable savings on the cost of the build. With a bit of luck you might find one under $500 and much of the expense of converting a military action will not have to be spent during the build.
A couple I've picked up over the years only need lightening up the stock for a better look although I consider them strictly hunting rifles and not custom builds. About the only major change on all of them, customs and those slightly modified was the replacement of the factory trigger with a Timney.
Paul B.
Old October 8, 2020, 07:40 PM   #25
Nathan

Why the JC FN Mauser over the Dumoulin Mauser?