The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2012, 05:38 AM   #26
BlackFeather

Most men can handle around 160-190F on there hands. I know I've had my shotgun out in a hot day and the barrel got damn close to burning hot. I wasn't stupid enough to see how hot it was later. Gloves help, but not always the first choice. Many rifles have something similar, full auto mostly. I've seen quite a few trench guns with heat shields and they weren't even used in the deserts. In the end, if you are wearing it on a sling and sling her up, or a single point and drop it, the chance of that barrel searing a soft spot is increased.

Those are my thoughts. Would I do it? Well, haven't done it yet and that's about the cheapest addition for a shotgun. I may do it, but if anything it'll be mostly for looks.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old February 5, 2012, 09:19 AM   #27
lmccrock

A long 3-gun shotgun stage would be 35 or so rounds, as fast as they can be shot and reloaded. A home defense scenario with that many rounds is hard to imagine. If a HD shotgun has a heat shield, leave it. If it does not, not sure I would add one.

For example, my 1100 used in 3-gun does not have a heat shield, and I have burned my hand. Not badly, however not pleasant. The vent rib helps a little. My 590 has a heat shield, and I have used it in matches. It gets hot enough to burn.

The 60 degree F difference between summer and winter (for me) makes a big difference in "burnability". Oh, my AR barrel gets hot enough to burn as well, even the carbon fiber fore end has gotten toasty at 100 degree, high round count, matches.
Old February 5, 2012, 09:32 PM   #28
INMY01TA

I didn't need one but got bored with my Maverick and decided to spice it up a little. It weighs almost nothing.

Old October 3, 2012, 09:06 PM   #29
DANIMAL

A heat shield used to be a must have on my 870. Mostly because it looks super tactical and bada$$. My brother is a green beret and his team was awarded mossberg 12ga with heat shields and engravings after a deployment. That really made me think they were necessary and cool. However, I now believe they are mostly cosmetic and aren't a necessity for any application.
Old October 3, 2012, 11:38 PM   #30
RsqVet

1. I have yet to see a shotgun heat shield made by a company or in a manner that I respect. Old Army issue trench guns would be the exception. I am sorry but most of the heat shields I have seen are from bottom feeder companies and just look like cheap pieces of crud. Even if I did want one it would not be one of the ones I have seen in the cheap / tactical crud department of gun shows and shops.

2. Given the low quality of the products offered I would have greater fear of the unneeded thing failing at a time when I needed it and somehow jamming the gun than I do of somehow burning myself on the barrel.

3. The chance of anyone civilian or LE outside of those in combat overseas, EVER firing a shotgun in defensive use to the point of needing a heat shield is about on a par with worrying about getting hit by a falling meteorite.

4. Personally I view a hot shotgun barrel at the range the same way I view a revolver cylinder gap. SOmething to be aware of and avoid injuring one's self on.

5. Too much tactical crud on a shotgun only makes it more heavy, and more stuff to break or get in the way. Sorry but nothing makes me run the other direction quicker than a overdone shotgun. Keep it simple and useful.
Old October 4, 2012, 05:34 AM   #31
Pistolgripshotty

Heat shields are useful...I have them on my tactical shotguns. Honestly if you have a tactical shotgun and are using it for self-defense, the heat shield has a purpose. I mean its only $20 bucks just try one out.
Old October 4, 2012, 12:10 PM   #32
bird_dog

If they're so useful, I'm surprised that the offerings from the major manufacturers don't have them installed on every trap, skeet and sporting-clays gun where shooting multiple rounds for hours on end is the norm...hmm. Ohhh.....I have an idea.....The Ruger TactiBird....

That said, they do look good.