The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 21, 2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Opinated

Rock Island 1911 45

I bought one a couple of months ago and fired it for the first time today. It has been over 50 years since I shot a 1911. Parkerized finish and safety on the left side only.
The one magazine with the pistol holds 8 rounds and is marked ACT-MAG ITALY / PSI USA. Rounds 7 and 8 require a bit more effort to load with bare hands that are less strong and less steady than 50 years ago. But not a real problem. Insert loaded magazine, pull slide back and release it. The slide does not go forward quite enough on it's own to close the breech. Pushing the slide does the job. Every round fires and the slide locks open.
I see that ACT-MAG supplies mags for several makers including some high-end models. Reviews of that magazine are quite mixed.
I also bought at the show two 7 round 1911 magazines marked only on the bottom. 19200- ASSY 5508694 MFR 30745. They fit fine into the pistol. Loading the cartridges into them is not difficult. Insert into pistol, pull slide to rear and release. Pull trigger, only CLICK. Eject magazine and it is still full. Reinsert magazine, pull slide again and release, eject magazine, still full. Load one round into chamber, release slide and the breech does not completely close. Push slide forward. Insert filled 7 round magazine and fire pistol. Slide does not even begin to strip round from magazine. That was all for today outside.
Filled the magazines and used my calipers to measure from the upper limit of the magazine catch slot to the top of the bullet. 1.600" on the 8 round magazine, 1.586 on the 7 round magazine, just 0.014 difference. The notch in the back of the 8 round magazine is a bit lower and exposes more of the primer than is the case on the 7 round. Dremel will to be used on the 7 round to remedy that. The 7 round mag top back lips seem to be rolled in a bit more than on the 8. Not sure whether to cut off the inside edge a bit or to bend them upward.
Thanks for taking the time to read all of this. Suggestions and comments that point me to a solution are welcome.
And what about Chip McCormick magazines?

Last edited by Opinated; November 21, 2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old November 21, 2011, 06:14 PM   #2
WVsig

19200- ASSY 5508694 MFR 30745 are USGI contract mags if they are not working properly then you could replace the springs or simply replace them.

I would simply replace with Chip McCormick Powermags, Metalform or Checkmate. If you want to get pricey you can look at Tripp or Wilson.

I am not a huge fan of the Act 1911 mags. I like them for the Sig P220 but 1911s not so much.
Old November 21, 2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Opinated

I found an old thread from 2006 about the magazines. 30745 was Mason-Rust. Apparently lots of Chinese fakes have been so marked. The ones I have look fine, but seem to hold the cartridge below the point that the slide strips it from the magazine.
Old November 23, 2011, 06:07 AM   #4
mag1911

Is it possible to post some photos of your 30745 magazine? The fakes have different construction than USGI.
Old November 23, 2011, 07:36 AM   #5
Opinated

Photos? Not sure if I can.
I plan to try again to get the magazines to work. .45 ACP is not really cheap ammo and I could burn up a lot just testing magazines. For the first test, how valid is just filling the magazine and manually operating the slide to see if the cartridges load into the chamber properly? Once that is OK, one could move to testing by firing.
I have all kinds of welding equipment except for TIG. But If a magazine had the catch notch cut too low so that the magazine latches while not fully up in the pistol, I doubt that I could build up with weld to recut the notch. No way to get the inside back to shape. And magazines are not THAT expensive. Anyone ever welded on a magazine at home?
On further thought, if the notch was cut too near the top of the magazine, the magazine would catch while it was lower in the pistol.
Old November 23, 2011, 07:38 AM   #6
federali

Good Mags

Quality mags are critical to functioning. Buy Chip McCormack, Tripp, wilson or MeGar magazines. As for loading them. I too have difficulty as my thumbs are arthritic. Get yourself a Lula magazine loader. They work with single and double stack mags but make sure you get the model intended for 9mm through .45 ACP. You'll wonder how you did without it. Well worth the investment.
Old November 23, 2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Chesster

Quote:
30745 was Mason-Rust
I have read a number of sources stating these were USGI but the lot was out of spec (i.e. Junk) an rejected for use by our troops. Probably then sold off as surplus. There are a bunch of these around, and frequently overpriced being authentic "USGI" mags.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old November 23, 2011, 03:43 PM   #8
S_Constitutionist

I actually have about a dozen of the Novak marked ACT 8 rd mags and I've been very happy with them. That being said, the 1911 gets carried with Wilson 47D's.
Old November 23, 2011, 04:21 PM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

What you say of the slide staying locked open after each shot makes me think that you possibly have your off hand thumb under the slide lock, and recoil is making your thumb push it up.

Try shooting it one handed. or changing your grip to the other hand for a couple of rounds to see if it still does it.

Also fire a few boxes of ammo out of it, some need to be worn in.
Old November 23, 2011, 05:35 PM   #10
Mrgunsngear

If you have issues with the gun with different mags, contact armscor and they'll fix it. They have awesome customer service. The guy to contact is [email protected] I've sent a gun back to them and they paid shipping both ways and fixed it in a couple weeks.
Old November 23, 2011, 05:54 PM   #11
SauerGrapes

+1 on the Chip mags. I run the 10 rounders for uspsa and 8 rounders for target shooting.
The Tripps are very good mags also. I run them in my 9mm 1911. They will cost you more than Chip mags but less than Wilson.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old November 23, 2011, 07:02 PM   #12
Opinated

I did not mean at all to say that the slide locks open after each shot. It did lock open after the magazine ( shipped with the pistol) was empty- and only then.
Now I must confess. I learned years ago that the very best thing to do is to correct a mess as quickly as possible. And sometimes confession is part of that process. No chance to shoot the pistol today, but I did load the magazines and cycle the cartridges unfired through the pistol by racking the slide. All the magazines worked well for that exercise.
I discovered that the two 7 round magazines will lock in place enough to not fall out before they are fully up in the pistol. Seating them the last 2mm requires an extra push effort. Not excessive, but extra. With them firmly up in place, they appear to work fine. Testing by firing will be soon. I suspect that the magazines were not fully seated earlier.
I already ordered some of the suggested magazines and when they arrive, I will have more magazines than Kellog's has corn flakes.
A personal note. 55 years ago on Thanksgiving Day, the fellow standing next to me was accidentally shot by another hunter from a moderate distance with a 16 gauge shotgun and had 44 #6 shot spread from his knees to his chin. I do not know how I was missed. I ran about a mile for help and later dragged the ambulance crew with their stretcher across a plowed field to him because they were not moving fast enough to suit me. Had to have 4 shot surgically removed from his intestines, most of the rest are still in him. After his Mother died, he found that she had saved the shirt he was wearing that day.
Let's be careful out there.
Old November 23, 2011, 07:45 PM   #13
hi-c9

In your original post you said that when you pull the slide back and release it, it doesn't go forward enough on it's own...my husband is determined to buy a this gun and before he does I'd like to know does it do this every time?
Old November 23, 2011, 08:24 PM   #14
Opinated

The slide closed on it's own today. I suspect that a good cleaning will solve the problem.
While I claim no expertise, I doubt that one can today buy a new .45 automatic that represents a better value for the money. Paying a lot more often buys just a little more in value. With sales tax, mine was less than $420.00.
Old November 23, 2011, 09:08 PM   #15
10mm4ever

Order some Metalform mags from CDNN, problem solved. They're cheap and they work!
Old November 24, 2011, 10:15 AM   #16
m&p45acp10+1

I have seen way too many people show up at the range with a plethora of brand new right off of the shelf guns, and started shooting them without so much as doing more than taking it out of the box literaly.

Some of them have hickups from this. More times than not they blame the guns. I try to tell them that cleaning a gun before shooting it tends to help with reliability when they are new. Packing grease, cosmoline, and whichever else of the rust inhibitors that the factories use on the guns they make to keep them from rusting up on store shelves does not help reliability.
Old November 24, 2011, 12:59 PM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinated
I have all kinds of welding equipment except for TIG. But If a magazine had the catch notch cut too low so that the magazine latches while not fully up in the pistol, I doubt that I could build up with weld to recut the notch. No way to get the inside back to shape. And magazines are not THAT expensive. Anyone ever welded on a magazine at home?
I have. Don't bother -- those tubes you have aren't worth the effort. Either toss 'em, or save them as photo props.

Several years ago I built a 1911 from a kit. Guess what came in the kit as the magazine? Once I had everything together, I took it to the range for the premilinary tests. I was elated what it not only functioned perfectly, I was also able to hit the target, reasonably close to where I was aiming.

My elation lasted through 14 rounds. When I reloaded the magazine for the third group of seven shots, I pushed it home with the slide closed, and the welds holding the floor plate to the sides of tube ALL popped -- scattering ammo, spring, floor plate and follower on the floor. It was an indoor range with fixed sidewalls for each lane, so I was able to collect all the parts. I subsequently welded the floor plate back using a flux-core wire welder, but there's no way I'll ever trust that magazine.

I'd suggest Check-Mate magazines. They sell direct, but they also make the OEM magazines for a surprising number of el primo 1911 manufacturers.
Old December 5, 2011, 05:13 PM   #18
Opinated

Today the Rock Island 1911 .45 got a bit more use. Fellow had 11 magazines for sale, all 8 round or more. Mec-Gar, Mag Tec, Act-Mag, Chip McCormick. I did not need nor want that many but the price of three good magazines would have been close to the same money and I bought them. Now with the original magazine and the two 30745 Mason-Rust 7 round, I have 14 magazines. Not sure if the Mason-Rust are genuine, but the earlier problem reported was my fault and not that of the magazines. Tested all of them today.
I now have put 50 rounds through the pistol with no failures. To make the test tougher, I used some no-name steel-cased Russian made by Tulammo, but their name was in fine print on the back of the box. I used at least three rounds in every magazine. My earlier problem with the Mason-Rust was caused by my failure to push the magazine fully up into the pistol. That brand will lock before it is fully pushed up.
So I am pleased with the pistol ($417.00 including tax), with the magazines and with the cheapo Russian ammo.

Last edited by Opinated; December 5, 2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old December 5, 2011, 08:20 PM   #19
cbuck

i got a set of 2 ACT mags with my citadel 1911 which is owned by armscor just like rock island. both mags cracked along the back within the first 2 trips to the range, i only run chip mccormick mags now, no problem in the last 5 months with either of the ones i got to replace the ACT ones that broke. id trust the chip mccormicks to keep working im not sure about the other ones though
Old December 5, 2011, 08:28 PM   #20
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I'm going to suggest that you not make a practice of shooting that Russian steel-cased ammo. The extractor in the 1911 is not pivoted, it's a piece of machined spring steel, with a bend in it to tension it. The extractor tip (or "hook") is comparatively small. Shooting steel-cased ammo means you're forcing steel against steel, and the result is accelerated wear on the extractor tip and possibly a broken extractor.
Old December 5, 2011, 08:32 PM   #21
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuck
i got a set of 2 ACT mags with my citadel 1911 which is owned by armscor just like rock island. both mags cracked along the back within the first 2 trips to the range,
Unfortunately, this appears to be quite commonplace with the ACT mags. They seem to work just fine ... until they don't.

Personally, I stick with Colt (brand) magazines and Check-Mate ... both in the 7-round flavor with the original GI-style flat follower. That's what John Browning designed, and it's been getting the job done for 100 years.
Old December 7, 2011, 12:48 PM   #22
Opinated

Cleaned it today for the first time. It has been over 50 years since I shot or cleaned a 1911 prior to this one. I did not have to use any tools, but had to stop and remember at couple of places. My hands are not as strong or steady as 50 years ago, but it was not difficult.
I do appreciate the remarks and cautions about the Tulammo. Some other sites mention very dirty, smelly and smoky. Perhaps some variations from lot to lot. But this was not smoky nor smelly while firing. And the pistol was amazingly clean to have fired 50 rounds. The ammo I had was not "dirty".
The factory had obviously cleaned and lubed the pistol at assembly, perhaps a bit too much oil. But there was no machining grit to be found.

Last edited by Opinated; December 7, 2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old December 7, 2011, 05:05 PM   #23
Opinated

Not directly on topic, but probably as good place as any to ask, on the shelf I found a box of Norinco (Chinese made) 45 ACP that I bought some years ago for a non-1911 pistol. Never fired any of it. It has brass casing. Anyone have experience with this ammo?
Old December 7, 2011, 05:40 PM   #24
Fishing_Cabin

Norinco brass cased was cheap ammo back in the day, with an occassional dud. I don't see why it would not be safe to fire today. Just keep an eye out for a dud.
Old December 7, 2011, 08:52 PM   #25
KC Rob

Quote:
Load one round into chamber, release slide...
Not to go off topic but this is not good for the extractor, probably shouldn't drop the slide on a round in the chamber on a regular basis.

As far as mags go, I have had good luck with Wilson's, though they are pricey. I have heard good things about the other mags suggested in this thread. I have also heard good things about KimPro Tac mags, I may give them a shot. I prefer 8 round mags with a small bumper pad, makes seating the mags a little easier. I also prefer mags with a full follower, like the Wilsons (not sure what other brands have these), they seem to load and feed a little smoother, plus I have an aluminum framed gun and I heard that mags without the full follower can gouge the inside of the frame.